Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A 'luxury' small car...oxymoron?

Options
  • 04-08-2006 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to replace my Renault 19 1.4 saloon, which size-wise is just about perfect for my needs.
    But I want something with a bit more luxury: AC would be nice, a sunroof, leather, PAS, some nice trim on the dash.
    I suppose what I want is the modern equivalent to the P6 Rover (my favourite car!)
    Any ideas? Rover 45 was the best I could come up with :confused:

Del

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Your not trying very hard if you happy with a Rover or a Renault, two nasty words in the motor trade tbh. What size engine do you want and how much do you want to spend? There are some nice Hondas with good spec in fact most cars nowadays have good spec. Be a bit more specific and I'm sure you'll get loads of help here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

So you want a car approx the size of the R19 but with all the extra bits you mentioned. The first question is how much are you willing to spend, are you looking for petrol or diesel, what size engine etc.

Be aware that many cars you may consider will have rubbish ride quality compared to your current car, so if that is important to you another Renault like a Megane might be the car to get.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hi,
    I'm looking to replace my Renault 19 1.4 saloon, which size-wise is just about perfect for my needs.
    But I want something with a bit more luxury: AC would be nice, a sunroof, leather, PAS, some nice trim on the dash.
    I suppose what I want is the modern equivalent to the P6 Rover (my favourite car!)
    Any ideas? Rover 45 was the best I could come up with :confused:

Del

Are you looking new or 2nd hand? What's your budget?

The Renault 19 is probably worthless so don't expect much of a trade-in, and if offered something sounding decent, it's just the value of the cash discount you'd get off your new car anyway. Don't let any dealer say they're doing you a favour by taking it off your hands.

A Rover 45 would not be a good buy IMO unless it was very very cheap. They're worth a whole lot less than they were, and they were never good at holding their values. If you buy one, keep it for the long haul - you won't be able to get rid of it easily.

Leather in a family 1.4 small car will be almost impossible to find 2nd hand, of course it'll be an option on a new car. You won't get your money back on leather on such a car, but that's not the point I suppose - it's a luxury. Most cars have air con standard, all have ABS and PS at this stage.

There's lots of choice in that segment though:
    Opel Astra
    Ford Focus
    Mazda 3
    Toyota Corolla
    Peugeot 307
    Renault Megane
    etc.

Work to a price, see what trims in each include, test drive the ones you fancy and make a purchase!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

One other thing - I SERIOUSLY recommend you look at at least a 1.6 petrol or 1.6 turbo diesel in such cars.

Modern cars are a lot heavier than the 19. I know someone with a new Megane 1.4 - it's dead. My wife has a 307 - lovely car - but the 8v 1.4 engine - dead also. I hate driving it.

Make sure it's got at least 90 to 100bhp (engine power) - the more the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

If you want some toys, go with a jap import IMHO.

If you know what you're looking for, bargains can be had.

Caveat emptor and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Thanks for the initial responses.
    Engine...well I was thinking of a 1.4 but than as Paulo says, weight rears it's ugly head. As for petrol/diesel...hmm, not really fussed. A TD would be better for economy I guess, but it doesn't really make a lot of difference to me. I'd prefer an auto 'box though
    As for budget, ideally I'll be buying new (or very nearly new) once I've sorted out a few bits and pieces and I'm looking in the €20-€25k range
    Whatever I buy, I'm hoping to keep it for a *long* time. Bear in mind that I don't want balls-out performance or leech-like handling, I just want to be as comfortable as possible while I'm driving.

Focus Ghia saloon looks like it might be a possible...

Del

You'd get a good spec 320 diesel BMW for that kind of money with leather interior and all if you look around. I sold a lovely 2000 320d recently with leather, alloys, climate control and a full service history for around 20k euros, it had only 65k miles, they're a really nice car.
    You could also consider a biofuel Ford Focus, you'd buy a new one for that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most small family cars will not have the things you are looking for in Ireland I'm afraid:

1.4 - 1.6 litre engine,
    Automatic,
    Leather seats,
    Air Conditioning/Climate Control,
    Sunroof,
    €20 - €25k budget,
    As new as possible.

The closest you will probably get to this spec are maybe a VW Golf or Audi A3. Both cars are based on the same platform but tend to be overpriced both new and second hand.

VW Golf:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=414579
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=478233

Audi A3:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=457708
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=471871

An outsider may be this Honda Civic which is the pretty high speced run out old model:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=481344

Alternatively if the badge is not the most important thing to you then the Skoda Octavia can be got with a high spec and alot cheaper:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=469762
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=479798

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The Renault Megane Monaco has air con and leather as standard, however sunroofs were only an option and most cars are manuals. The boot is smaller than the one in your R19 saloon. the 1.4 litre engine is adequate in the car.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=395440

This model has recently been discontinued so you're looking at used examples only. There are a few lemon Meganes out there. When I see a 1 year old car with low mileage on sale I often wonder if it is a lemon that has spent half its time in a garage and the owner has gotten fed up of it.

Every Megane I ever came across was a lemon tbh.:D

• Advertisement

Only other possibility I can think of is a Volvo S40.

This one has auto, leather etc.:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=449206

There are much cheaper '04s also, plenty of choice. Pretty much all have leather, some are auto also.

You're into 1.8 petrols or 1.9 diesels in these. There was a 1.6, but again, too heavy a car. These are not much bigger than a Focus/Astra class - I call them an "in-between" class - somewhere between the Focus and Mondeo in size.

The later old model ones ('03 and '04) had great spec on them to shift the remaining old models before the new one came out. Actually if you could add just a little to your max budget, you'd have enough to get into a new model S40. The SE trim in the 1.8, or preferably the diesel would be the best ones.

Sunroofs are difficult to get, and seem to have been replaced by air con. Not many cars have both. Don't know the reasoning behind that to be honest as they do different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A fair amount of Peugeot 307s came with leather and aircon, Skywagons had a big sunroof too, and leather is quite common on them. If you're considering a Renault, reliability probably isn't a priority, a Peugeot will be roughly as reliable as the equivelant Renault.

Hyundai Elantras have Leather, sunroof, and aircon as standard, they have a 1.6 engine and once you get past the bland styling and average dynamics, it's spacious enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A Corolla Sol is about 27/8k new and has 1.4 leather sunroof a/c and sat nav AFAIK

Thanks for the further info...but a new plan has come to mind!
    I've always wanted a Rover P6, so I'm thinking of spending a good chunk on an excellent one of those and getting it uprated with electric windows, central locking and ABS and AC (if feasible)

Decisions, decisions...

Del

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A rover P6???.....sorry for my ignorance....but what on earth is a rover P6,never heard of it...must a very old car maybe??

Thatcher may have had one when she was PM???

rover_p6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

eh......so im guessing its a 70s car??....and somebody would want one why??

I'm restoring one at the moment, it was the only VIP model ever registered in Ireland and is mentioned in the Rover P6 history book. Lovely car, pity they weren't galvanised though.:)

kaiser1 wrote:
    eh......so im guessing its a 70s car??....and somebody would want one why??

My sentiments too, I don't really like the idea of barges that are hard to drive. An A8 on the other hand is a barge I could live with

• Advertisement

The P6 is lovely, but not as nice as the P5 in my opinion, which would be my favourite British classic.

@ Joe: getting a car like that is one thing, but I think you'd be mad to try and "upgrade" it. Cars like that should be left as original as possible, and part of the ownership experience is that they didn't have the modern comforts/safety features.

Any of those "upgrades" would cost a fortune.

I'd love a classic like that, but before I'd venture into P5 or P6 territory, I'd get something simple like an MG or similar. Something to get started for which there's loads of parts and knowledge available.

If you have 20 to 25k to spend, why not spend 10k to 15k or so on the daily commuter, and the rest on a good MG?

Questions, questions, questions :D
    Why? Because they are supremely comfortable (not quite in the Citroen DS league - but pretty close), reasonably quick - 125mph for the V8 (and class winner in the Monte Carlo rally in the '60s), I think they look great and I don't think can be in any way classed as a barge...definitely NOT hard to drive, with PAS and servo brakes, an auto' box and strong engines.
    Oh and it's a V8 :D

Upgrading: Well, you may have a point...

Two cars: certainly a possibility. But not an MG, can't stand them!

PS to junkyard. Would love to see that one when it's done!

Del

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

it sounds to me like you want a plain car with lux spec. why wouldn't you go for a lux car with lux spec. €25k is a FORTUNE. (irrational fear of tax/ obsession with newness maybe?- it's going around) rovers aren't what they used to be. if you want a car of classic rover ilk, what about subaru legacy. affordable under-rated class with jap reliability. usually speccy as well- a really shrewd car. depreciates quickly (before some smartass points that out), but that shouldn't matter to the long term purchaser.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=431330

Because I don't *need* a big car - like I said in the first post, a Renault 19 saloon is perfect for me size-wise (and yes, I know the Rover is a bit bigger)
    Most days it's just me driving to work and back.
    Then I have to take the wife shopping at the weekends.
    Very occasionally, we visit relatives and so I need a four-seater for them
    I would prefer a new car (if I go for a modern) because this car will be a keeper (I'm talking 10-15 years I hope) and I can get the exact spec etc. that I want

Del

Because I don't *need* a big car - like I said in the first post, a Renault 19 saloon is perfect for me size-wise (and yes, I know the Rover is a bit bigger)
    Most days it's just me driving to work and back.
    Then I have to take the wife shopping at the weekends.
    Very occasionally, we visit relatives and so I need a four-seater for them
    I would prefer a new car (if I go for a modern) because this car will be a keeper (I'm talking 10-15 years I hope) and I can get the exact spec etc. that I want

Del

SWmall and Luxury is the Focus Platinum or the Corolla Sol. Plainly nothing else will do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

if you have more than a passing interest in cars, you should forget about all these 1.4 types. no renault is going to be anything more than a bucket of bolts in 5 years. most flexy fwd hatchback will be spun, let alone respectable. IMO, you'll need a good rigid saloon to last that kind of timeframe. legacy is only a suggestion. are you sure you'll NEVER want to tow a caravan or snub the sun for an irish holiday. you'll never end up moving jobs etc?? anyone who i know who has switched to bigger cars has never regretted it. i can't picture anybody in fifteen years driving an almera or similar, they're made to be disposable! tell me that legacy doesn't stir the emotions!!
    that's just my opinion but what would i know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

junkyard wrote:
    I'm restoring one at the moment, it was the only VIP model ever registered in Ireland and is mentioned in the Rover P6 history book. Lovely car, pity they weren't galvanised though.:)

I saw an identical car (3500, orginal looking) in an identical colour travelling from Kilmallock in the direction of Fermoy about a month ago. It turned off for Kilfinane, and was it driving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Mercedes do a small car in the form of the A160. We rented one out on holiday before. It's surprisingly roomy on the inside (looks small from the outside). Was easily able to fit 5 of us who were each carrying hefty baggage.

Advertisement