Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEAR Expansion pack

Options
  • 05-08-2006 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Any1 know what date its out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Mid August iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Can't wait. Best game ever IMO. Gonna put conroe to good use...:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

really looking forward to this. the original scared me like no other game ever has (except maybe system shock 2). will hopefully keep up the high quality, especially the sound/music, which was damn freaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I personally didn't like FEAR, found the storyline very cliched and the fighting quite repetitive (i.e. fight dude, slowmo, fight dude, oh crap the girl off the ring, slowmo, fight dude, wow 1337 gfx, slowmo...) and the ending was kindof an anticlimax for me.

I'm hoping the expansion pack unravels a lot more of the story behind it all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

L31mr0d wrote:
    I personally didn't like FEAR, found the storyline very cliched and the fighting quite repetitive (i.e. fight dude, slowmo, fight dude, oh crap the girl off the ring, slowmo, fight dude, wow 1337 gfx, slowmo...) and the ending was kindof an anticlimax for me.

I'm hoping the expansion pack unravels a lot more of the story behind it all.

it seemed to be a fairly love/hate game when it was talked about here. more people seemed to like it, but others seemed to enjoy doom3 more, which baffled me. i also thought that the story was explained fairly well, with some great cinematic moments, like...
    When you finally catch up with the bad guy...cant remember his name...canibal guy, and instead of fighting him, you go all psyched out, and he's kneeling down in the room, 1 shot to the head...bam! very good way to do it i thought. also the effects when the facility was blown up were damn cool

also, alma was **** freaky. i challenge anyone not to be scared by a little girl in a dress with long hair over her face (i dont actually challenge you...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Meh -- it didn't make me go out & build a rig*
    Plus, while it tried, it was still quite cliched in its storytelling.
    I didn't feel anything for that little blonde bint -- the story didn't make me want to rescue her; I mean, she just took off & gets herself captured!

*Views may have been tainted by QA testing
    Kiith wrote:
    also, alma was **** freaky. i challenge anyone not to be scared by a little girl in a dress with long hair over her face (i dont actually challenge you...)
    Anyone else jump/soil themselves that time early in the game where she sort of does a jumping crawl towards you while you're between these steamy pipes, and it's so dark you need your flashlight? (I think it's in the demo too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yes. But not as much as when
    she started being a naked old woman as well as an 8 year old girl, who was also your mother

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Loved F.E.A.R, bloody freaked me right out though. I loved the ending, its probably one of the only endings where I didnt feel ripped off.

Doom 3 is muck compared to F.E.A.R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

doom 3 > fear (for shooty-ness)

project zero 2 > fear (for sheer scariness)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Game looked impressive but thats all the good things i can say about it. story was meh! and the fighting got repetitive.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote:
    Yes. But not as much as when
    she started being a naked old woman as well as an 8 year old girl, who was also your mother

Eh? I thought
    she was a teenager or something? Didn't look old anyway.

doom 3 > fear (for shooty-ness)

And once more, eh? Did you not use the slo-mo key at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

Spike wrote:
    And once more, eh? Did you not use the slo-mo key at all?
    Yeah cuase slo-mo wouldve made doom3 like a finity times better.
    Slo mo was overplayed by the time max payne 2 came out, its just a gimmick

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

The gameplay was great, but the story was crap and it wasn't scary at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I loved F3ar :D Didn't realise there was an expansion planned until I saw this thread. Only a few weeks away :D Hurray!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm surprised there is so much negativity towards FEAR generally speaking. I thought the slo-mo fight sequenced were brilliantly realised & hugely enjoyable. Someone mentioned the end being an anti-climax - it has one of the best, if not the best, explosions in a computer game. Some people are hard to please.

Could it have been better? Probably, but that's the case with most games.

Yeah cuase slo-mo wouldve made doom3 like a finity times better.
    Slo mo was overplayed by the time max payne 2 came out, its just a gimmick

Slo-mo in Doom 3 would've been a bit silly now, but you're saying that the firefights in Doom are better than in Fear? I beg to differ, but I'll leave you with your opinion.

Maximilian wrote:
    I'm surprised there is so much negativity towards FEAR generally speaking. I thought the slo-mo fight sequenced were brilliantly realised & hugely enjoyable. Someone mentioned the end being an anti-climax - it has one of the best, if not the best, explosions in a computer game. Some people are hard to please.

Could it have been better? Probably, but that's the case with most games.

:rolleyes: I agree. I thought the texturing & lighting were the best i've ever seen in a game. Realistic looking. Can't wait for the expansion pack. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The shotgun in Fear was MUCH cooler than the crappy shotgun in Doom 3. What more proof do you need?

Sarky wrote:
    The shotgun in Fear was MUCH cooler than the crappy shotgun in Doom 3. What more proof do you need?

:rolleyes: There's actually a mod for doom3 to make shotgun more realistic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement