Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ClockWork Orange - Anthony Burgess

Options
  • 05-08-2006 5:43am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I started this last night. Where did he get the slang that the characters use? I'm presuming it is invented for the sake of the book and not some weird English slang / argot that I have missed out on? I was also suprised that the book is so short.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think the slang is of russian origin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's called Nadsat, and most of it is of Russian origin.

Burgess invented it for the book.

You will love the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yup, it's a pretty amazing read

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks for the info folks, I shall sit won with my Nadsat dictionary and work it out. Hopefully once I get the guist of it he will be using the same vocab over and over so that I won't be contstantly looking up new words?

I found the first pages to Train spotting hard to read but once I understood the slang I picked it up as it was reused constantly.

You'll be fine once you read a chapter or two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Ok, well I finished A Clockwork Orange this evening. What giveth you say? An interesting little ending which I was not expecting. Previously I had seen 3/4s of the film and vaguely remembered what was coming up in the book. The ending hit me and the same things that seem to be running through our little droog Alex's head were in mine.

- A quick read.
    - Funny yet serious.
    - An ending to make you think.

RATING - 7/10

(a few points docked for having to go to google/wikipedia every now and again to figure out what Alex was talking about with his nadsat slang... perhaps I am being harsh).

Excellent, I thought it wouldn't take you long to read it. I had thought of asking if you had watched the film previously.

I love the ending of the book, I love Alex :o

Hmm, I might just go and re-read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

BossArky wrote:
    (a few points docked for having to go to google/wikipedia every now and again to figure out what Alex was talking about with his nadsat slang... perhaps I am being harsh).
    I had two copies. One had a Nadsat dictionary in the back, but it was missing the last chapter (damn Americans)

I had seen the film and had to hunt down the last chapter. I was surprised and delighted with the ending.

One had a Nadsat dictionary in the back

That would have been very handy.

Advertisement