Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That was my warmest night here I think since records began...

Options
  • 05-08-2006 9:30am

My records began last october :D

But seriously,the min last night here out in the open countryside in a field where my aws is located (not in a garden or yard where it will be warmer surrounded by houses)...my min was 17.7c at 602am

Little wonder it wasnt easy to sleep.

Its already 21c and sunny with a west wind progged to stay in the sw or south today (ie off the land) so today is going to be a hot one :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

it was really hot and humid,sweating like a dog in the bed last night,and by the look of things outside it going to be a cracking day,it could be a beer garden day:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fecking horrid alright, 21 according to the car (which was in shadow) at 9.30, the change between 9 am and 3 pm yesterday was astonishing.

Mike.

Now 23.3c at 11am with no wind.
    Flat calm

The fact that the prevailing flow is tending to w or SW today is really knocking the ability of the sea breezes to get going.
    They are trying.

Looking at the aws here, the wind direction has swung from NE (seabreeze) to NW and west in the last hr but only at 1 or 2mph.
    Nothing basically

The modified discomfort index according to weather display is 26.7c which is a combo of the heat and humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Low of 17.9C here overnight,
    I noticed that the temp strtaed to rise between and about 19:30 and 22:30 last night which seemed very strange.My highest temp yesterday was 20.7C at 22:16. It got back up to 23.9C at 9 this morning but has fallen back to 22.4C now

Well the sea breeze seems to have won here.

Now ESE at 5mph

Temp steady at 22.8c

• Advertisement

Same here but the temp is still rising fast here now after falling to 20.5C half an hour ago now it's back on the up again and it's up to 22.3C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

In Waterford now in my back garden its 24.2c at 12.25pm with very light winds but the sea breezes usually kick in here in the afternoon as we are only about 8 miles from the beach. Just wondering how acurate those wireless temp sensors are? What do you guys use to measure your Temps? I'm using one of those Oregon ones they sell in Argos.

now 24.1c

I'm using this

Now 24.3c

The station record is 24.6c :D on the same day that mothman 15miles up the road got above 29c Both of us are on the coast but he is in a heat pocket.

my station record is under severe threat now as its just been equaled 24.6c :)

And thats in an open field as well

Wind is NW at 4mph

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Low of 17.7c myself last night 05.36
    Now 24.8c and still rising.

Recorded (well how can you say this) my highest low night temp 2 weeks ago in that heat at 19.2c.

And goin out to buy a ceiling fan now,melting weather again.:eek:

Contemplated closing windows to keep out heat last night.

• Advertisement

I have the same weather station as earthman.
    My station record is 25.1C (only started records on the 1st of May) but it's not under much threat as we still have a sea breaze here

You are in the town though snowbie surrounded by houses arent you ? that will always artificially inflate the night time temp-although it matters little as its what you feel and experience that counts.
    I'm not sure where Dublin airports screened thermometer is exactly located but I'd wager knowing the topography,it being exposed to open fields too,that it is a better comparison.

It's currently also 24c with a wind WSW of 12mph

trogdor wrote:
    I have the same weather station as earthman.
    My station record is 25.1C (only started records on the 1st of May) but it's not under much threat as we still have a sea breaze here
    The sea breeze tried and failed here,it fought a good fight,it was 2mph from the ESE earlier this morning.
    It's now 10mph from the west.
    Theres variable cloud in the sunny sky causing brief 0.5c or so moves in the temp.
    I'll be surprised if the temp here doesnt get above 25c at some point today.

station record broken

Now 24.7c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thats stange I havent even noticed the warmness.. its a bit damp outside and cloudy altho it is mild.

sunny here Gonzo with a land breeze and not a sea breeze,it makes all the difference.

Temp still rising-now 24.8c

Dublin airport has now reached 25c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the sun hasnt come out here once today its damp and it keeps raining on and off every few minutes

Gonzo wrote:
    the sun hasnt come out here once today its damp and it keeps raining on and off every few minutes
    I've got the same stuff here

Its clouded over here though no chance of rain I think and subjectivly it feels cooler and less humid.

Mike.

Earthman wrote:
    You are in the town though snowbie surrounded by houses arent you ? that will always artificially inflate the night time temp-although it matters little as its what you feel and experience that counts.
    I'm not sure where Dublin airports screened thermometer is exactly located but I'd wager knowing the topography,it being exposed to open fields too,that it is a better comparison.

It's currently also 24c with a wind WSW of 12mph

No artificial warming here, big open field to my side as im on the end of my block of houses looking towards sea which is a mile away.
    That was my highest minimum ever recorded a couple of weeks back although much warmer than last night,last night was exceptionaly humid which why we all had an uncomfortable sleep.

• Advertisement

High so far 25.6c
    Now 21.7c fell 4c in half hour when sea breeze took hold.

Down to 21.2c here now with a 15mph sea breeze whilst at the same time the cloud from the opposite direction has obscured the sun.

Aint nature great.

Snowbie,I'd have to disagree with you as regards the heat not being artificially higher in a town even in your circumstances.Unless your open field is in the country side and not adjacent to houses,its going to be a heat island except when you have a sea breeze.
    A field surrounded by woodlands would behave similarally-even if the field was 10 acres or more.

Earthman i have a fan aspirated sheild on my VP2 that makes the thermometer more accurate than the normal radiation sheild,even though the standard sheild is still accurate.
    I understand where you coming from in terms of town heating etc as i got the fan aspirated sheild for that reason,but its very accurate.
    Trust me as far as last night was concerned fan was still rotating in sheild 02.30 this morning.
    Im not in a built up city to affect the temperature of my station,there are no high buildings around me nor is there houses directly on top of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Almost a record breaker here as well. Overnight min was 17.9C early in night, got to 19.9C after midnight, and then fell to 18.2C at 06:50.

The 09z-09z min was 17.7C, just after 09z yesterday morn. This is 2nd highest in my records, which stretch back to Nov 99.

Some sort of front must have pushed through cos the weather here is changed quite a bit - sunnier, windier, fresher.

Mike.

Snowbie wrote:
    Earthman i have a fan aspirated sheild on my VP2 that makes the thermometer more accurate than the normal radiation sheild,even though the standard sheild is still accurate.
    I understand where you coming from in terms of town heating etc as i got the fan aspirated sheild for that reason,but its very accurate.
    Snowbie I never said it was inaccurate.It's going to record the temperature in your location.
    Trust me as far as last night was concerned fan was still rotating in sheild 02.30 this morning.
    Yes and all that will do is give a more accurate representation of the temperature in the environment,it cannot change an urban heat island.
    Im not in a built up city to affect the temperature of my station,there are no high buildings around me nor is there houses directly on top of me.
    Once you are in a housing estate,you will be in a heat island,like it or not.Being a mile from the sea will temper that when a sea breeze is set off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Max of 25.5C which ranks at no.8, but the mean of 21.6C is all time station high.

Earthman wrote:
    Snowbie I never said it was inaccurate.It's going to record the temperature in your location. Yes and all that will do is give a more accurate representation of the temperature in the environment,it cannot change an urban heat island.Once you are in a housing estate,you will be in a heat island,like it or not.Being a mile from the sea will temper that when a sea breeze is set off.

Nonesense,The difference is very minimal.Being only a decimal more than an open field if at all.Cities yes but not housing estates.I always have a seabreeze unless its a predominant wind direction.So for normal air temp recorded would not be different from the open field across the road from me.
    The flow of air will not get trapped and then superheated as it moved over or into a housing estate.
    Were talking decimals here in my environment if at all.Not major degree differences.

Snowbie wrote:
    Nonesense,The difference is very minimal.
    With respect it is you that is talking nonsense if you think that theres only a decimal point of a temperature difference between an open field and in a housing estate.
    The flow of air will not get trapped and then superheated as it moved over or into a housing estate.
    A flow of air most certainly can get trapped by a housing estate and it most certainly can be affected by environmental factors such as warm walls or warm woods.
    Obviously not when it is a strong flow,but it will when its less than 5 or 10 mph.
    Adjacent air will be affected as a matter of course if theres no breeze at all-hence the heat island.

I suggest you ask met Éireann why they dont like locating stevenson screens in peoples back gardens,near tree's or walls and they dont like doing that.
    I suggest you ask dappergent for the statistics on that one.

• Advertisement

I didn't realize just how hot it was today with all the overcast gloom here the weather forecast on RTE 1 said it reached 28C in some places in the south. My high for today was 23.9C recorded at 9:37 this morning before the cloud rolled in

Advertisement