Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That was my warmest night here I think since records began...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It feels brutally warm here atm:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Earthman wrote:
    With respect it is you that is talking nonsense if you think that theres only a decimal point of a temperature difference between an open field and in a housing estate.
    A flow of air most certainly can get trapped by a housing estate and it most certainly can be affected by environmental factors such as warm walls or warm woods.
    Obviously not when it is a strong flow,but it will when its less than 5 or 10 mph.
    Adjacent air will be affected as a matter of course if theres no breeze at all-hence the heat island.

I suggest you ask met Éireann why they dont like locating stevenson screens in peoples back gardens,near tree's or walls and they dont like doing that.
    I suggest you ask dappergent for the statistics on that one.

Sorry this is a discussion between myself and you,please leave out my co-mod Dappergent.
    1.Dont need to ask Met Eireann about location of any weather equipment as i know and located various equipment myself or will i put my weather station out the front instead.
    2.I know this heat island happens within Towns and Cities,not housing estates,whereas im talking about minimal decimal difference with an open field.
    3.Direct solar radiation is what you feel on a hot summers day inside or outside an estate and not neccessarily temp increases within the estate.
    4.Same too at night,so heat is absorbed in the ground and wood and houses as you say and is released into the direct atmosphere of an estate enough so it would cause vast temperature difference.True for cities and towns not so for housing estates.
    5.Air moves from a cool/cold place to a warm/hot place,so much so according to your theory i should feel a breeze coming from the adjacent field to me as a refreshing night time breeze as my estate is still warmer than the open field at night.Sorry never experienced.

This heat island happens greatly within large cities/large towns,and no not my estate or the next estate,but built up areas.

Maybe its the heat but why are two mods having a bit of a go at each other on the weather forum??

I wont be able to sleep tonight:(

darkman2 wrote:
    Maybe its the heat but why are two mods having a bit of a go at each other on the weather forum??

I wont be able to sleep tonight:(

Just a discussion DM2 not havin a go at each other,he has his view"cough"and i have mine.;)

Snowbie wrote:
    Just a discussion DM2 not havin a go at each other,he has his view"cough"and i have mine.;)

Ah yes, disagreement. You'd find that very frequent on weather forums:D

P.S Snowbie you a member of NW?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    You are in the town though snowbie surrounded by houses arent you ? that will always artificially inflate the night time temp-although it matters little as its what you feel and experience that counts.
    I'm not sure where Dublin airports screened thermometer is exactly located but I'd wager knowing the topography,it being exposed to open fields too,that it is a better comparison.

It's currently also 24c with a wind WSW of 12mph

Funny,at 22.00 was 21c at Dublin airport give or take a decimal up or down and i read 20.1c.And the airport is just under 2.5miles from me.
    Hmmm how was this happening,was your theory wrong altogether that housing estates trap heat at night,;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Snowbie you are local to me so I can use your stats as my indicator.

Dub13 wrote:
    Snowbie you are local to me so I can use your stats as my indicator.

No bother m8,nearly have my website up and running displaying real time data etc.Bit of a snag atm.

Snowbie wrote:
    No bother m8,nearly have my website up and running displaying real time data etc.Bit of a snag atm.

How close to the coast are you...?

bout a mile,

you

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    bout a mile,

you

I would say about 2 mile.The reason I ask is I am sure this has an effect on your stats,I am a weather newbie so not sure how much this would effect your stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,769 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I CANT GET NO SLEEP

too warm - aaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhh!

neighbours having party up the road - aaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhh!

turn down the heat

Snowbie, with respect you have not answered my question: Are you a member of NW????

darkman2 wrote:
    Snowbie, with respect you have not answered my question: Are you a member of NW????

sorry DM,i use to be long time ago,why u ask

Snowbie wrote:
    sorry DM,i use to be long time ago,why u ask

Use to be - 'snowbee' perhaps??? Im just curious why not now?:confused:

P.S if its something I should know, tell me.

darkman2 wrote:
    Use to be - 'snowbee' perhaps??? Im just curious why not now?:confused:

P.S if its something I should know, tell me.

Left NW and went on metcheck instead.
    Why so curious,that i should let u know:confused:

Snowbie wrote:
    Left NW and went on metcheck instead.
    Why so curious,that i should let u know:confused:

Well, you seem to know your stuff. Im a member of NW now and metcheck is sh*te. Literally it is. NW is brilliant now. Were you banned by any chance or just left?

darkman2 wrote:
    Well, you seem to know your stuff. Im a senior member of NW now and metcheck is sh*te. Literally it is. NW is brilliant now. Were you banned by any chance or just left?

Well tbh,i have guested the NW forum recently and the site as a whole has greatly improved,i left on my own accord, nothing happened,just got bored with the site and was sharing the site with just Brits talking bout Britain,no need for me then.I at the time was the only poster from Ireland,then that chap from Antrim came along.
    I see you and Danno post alright on it and it looks interesting enough.
    I do agree that Metcheck has gone down a bit,in terms of Noobs,who do not know what there talking about,but generally still a good site.

Snowbie wrote:
    Well tbh,i have guested the NW forum recently and the site as a whole has greatly improved,i left on my own accord, nothing happened,just got bored with the site and was sharing the site with just Brits talking bout Britain,no need for me then.I at the time was the only poster from Ireland,then that chap from Antrim came along.
    I see you and Danno post alright on it and it looks interesting enough.
    I do agree that Metcheck has gone down a bit,in terms of Noobs,who do not know what there talking about,but generally still a good site.

Snowbie I think you should come back to NW. Really there is a few of us Irish on it and we get on very well with our British counter-parts. Its no fuss for any of us. Indeed we keep reminding them that we dont live in the UK and I think they have the message;)

Nearly have the website up and running so when i do i might consider it.

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    Nearly have the website up and running so when i do i might consider it.

Website? Sounds good. Gonna have links to the models?? You should set up a forum:D

darkman2 wrote:
    Website? Sounds good. Gonna have links to the models?? You should set up a forum:D

Nearly in place,links to everything in the end including live lightning.
    Web host server is down as i tried to get it up and go last night.Sometime next week,i hope:)

Snowbie wrote:
    Nearly in place,links to everything in the end including live lightning.
    Web host server is down as i tried to get it up and go last night.Sometime next week,i hope:)

Sounds great. If you have a forum can I be a mod???:D :D Hope this all works out for you.

Snowbie wrote:
    Funny,at 22.00 was 21c at Dublin airport give or take a decimal up or down and i read 20.1c.And the airport is just under 2.5miles from me.
    Hmmm how was this happening,was your theory wrong altogether that housing estates trap heat at night,;)
    There could be several reasons for that but probably the biggest one would be they are using a stevenson screen and met office equipment which will read the temperature more acurately than the davis,that could account for anywhere between 0.5 and 1c as the Davis is good but not as good as MO installed equipment.Of course if you expect the temperature to be exactly the same 2.5 miles apart,I'll refer you back to my comment as to your expectation that the temperature in an open exposed field will be the same as in an estate.

Snowbie wrote:
    Sorry this is a discussion between myself and you,please leave out my co-mod Dappergent.
    What exactly do you mean by this? This is an open discussion in which anyone can take part.I'm simply refering you to someone who does in my experience have a very competent grasp of meterology.He can agree or disagree with me.

I know for a fact that Met Éireann will frown upon installing recording equipment adjacent to houses or trees.I'd be expecting Dappergent to confirm that if you asked him which is what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

28.4c here yesterday, which is very amazing considering the amount of cloudy spells.

Earthman wrote:
    There could be several reasons for that but probably the biggest one would be they are using a stevenson screen and met office equipment which will read the temperature more acurately than the davis,that could account for anywhere between 0.5 and 1c as the Davis is good but not as good as MO installed equipment.Of course if you expect the temperature to be exactly the same 2.5 miles apart,I'll refer you back to my comment as to your expectation that the temperature in an open exposed field will be the same as in an estate.

I too started out with a stevenson screen and later upgraded to VP1 then VP2 which i and you know is state of the art material.The old fashion hands on taking readings with stevenson screens are still used today by MO here and around the world,but not by me or you or a few people who i have learned on this forum that are using this technology now.
    A volunteer observer for Met Eireann uses a Davis auto weather station on this forum,they have no barney with him using that equipment and also you said he is in a heat pocket in an earlier post.So why use his data according to your early comments about heat islands,heat pockets that would make Mothmans data inaccurate.This is according to you.

Earthman wrote:
    What exactly do you mean by this? This is an open discussion in which anyone can take part.I'm simply refering you to someone who does in my experience have a very competent grasp of meterology.He can agree or disagree with me.

I know for a fact that Met Éireann will frown upon installing recording equipment adjacent to houses or trees.I'd be expecting Dappergent to confirm that if you asked him which is what I said.

Yes this is an open discussion for anyone but we are disagreeing with one another here and i dont need an ally to back me up.I too have vast amount of experience in this field.Dappergent knows this.
    I do agree that you experience different in temps within Towns and Cities where the environment is changed by several factors to increase a temp so that accurate readings can occur of the surrounding areas which would be fogged off by Met as being inaccurate in taking readings.Meaning....i say the likes of Mullingar or Tullamore would have been over 33c within the towns itself equalling records or breaking them in other central towns during our hot spell,but cant be used by Met office,so they use there staion in Birr which i have seen.Even Dublin city would have experienced 30c but i only recorded 26.7c as my high 5 miles away from the city centre on the surburbs away from all buildings and maybe 26.6c in the open field beside me.Now i could try an experiment by purchasing a second sensor (which we could go halves in) and housing it in the field and recording the temp differences if you would like to get a comparisson between the two locations but why bother it be minimal.

Snowbie wrote:
    I too started out with a stevenson screen and later upgraded to VP1 then VP2 which i and you know is state of the art material.The old fashion hands on taking readings with stevenson screens are still used today by MO here and around the world,but not by me or you or a few people who i have learned on this forum that are using this technology now.
    A volunteer observer for Met Eireann uses a Davis auto weather station on this forum,they have no barney with him using that equipment and also you said he is in a heat pocket in an earlier post.So why use his data according to your early comments about heat islands,heat pockets that would make Mothmans data inaccurate.This is according to you.
    Mothmans official met Éireann readings are taken from a stevenson screen and not from his Davis.You should get your facts straight :)link
    The stevenson is more accurate.
    It's but one of the many reasons why Dublin airport could have a higher recorded temp than you at any one time. 2.5 miles in distance can mean a lot of factors come into play,you should know this.
    Yes this is an open discussion for anyone but we are disagreeing with one another here and i dont need an ally to back me up.I too have vast amount of experience in this field.Dappergent knows this.
    Eh? I'm baffled tbh by 2 things you've said here (1) that official met records are being taken by a Davis for met Éireann,they are not.Mind you,the NRA equipment is similar but they are not not used as met office official data. and (2) that the temp in an estate wont be higher than in an open field.I'll tell you one thing,in the 25 years that I've been observing weather,thats patently not been what I've experienced.
    the likes of Mullingar or Tullamore would have been over 33c within the towns itself equalling records or breaking them in other central towns during our hot spell,but cant be used by Met office,so they use there staion in Birr which i have seen.Even Dublin city would have experienced 30c but i only recorded 26.7c as my high 5 miles away from the city centre on the surburbs away from all buildings and maybe 26.6c in the open field beside me.
    That has nothing to do with what I am disputing with you.We are talking about urban heat islands and not the difference between the coast and 40 miles inland which is something entirely different.
    I'd have to disagree with you again as to what temp you would get in an open field as opposed to in an estate.
    I've located screened thermometers in open fields and in sheltered locations and theres a marked difference.
    Now i could try an experiment by purchasing a second sensor (which we could go halves in) and housing it in the field and recording the temp differences if you would like to get a comparisson between the two locations but why bother it be minimal.
    Theres no need to go to expense for to find that out,just drive around in your car if it has an external temp sensor.It wont give an accurate external temp,but it will give an accurate reflection on the degree of variation,from place to place.
    Experimenting with screened thermometers in different locations also gives an amazing insight into this.

• Advertisement

I was refering to Mothman as the volunteer observer for Met Eireann and going from a PM from him to myself about Davis equipment he uses i didnt realise he had the complete layout of equipment from the link you provided.So i thought he uploaded his data from the Davis instruments via weatherlink.
    WTF i know Met Eireann uses Stevenson screens to collect data from around the country,christ ive seen most of them.
    I have the wealth of experience you have too in observing and i am simply again saying the tempearature difference is not as dramatic as your trying to say within a housing estate.My estate lets say is ventilated as you were originally refering to my readings were due to the obvious by now heat island.
    Now please dont rely on those external temps for cars or jeeps,those things are inaccurate altogether,which you should know that.The effects of engines for one effects those and espeicially for the summer months.:rolleyes:

Lets talk about how a similar to a Fohn effect can disrupt your data.
    You live on the coast side of Wicklow mtns true.?
    Well this now known phenomenon happens to most mountainous regions of the world,now wicklow mountains are,are not the heights of the himalayans but are high enough to change the weather dramatically leeward side.
    By temp and dryness.This can be noticed here in some of your posts as increase in Temps when wind became westerly in General for Ireland.
    Wind coming down off a mountain combined with inland heat in this case in summer would be enough to increase temp for your area making you supceptible to this effect.
    Exactly the same in the winter months if we have a predominant strong NW airflow,you would just experience cloudless skies a drop in dewpoint and an increase in temp as you are the leeward side while all the moisture content was deposited on the windward side of the mountains as was the case in a particular case in March of this year.

Advertisement