Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That was my warmest night here I think since records began...

Options
13»

Comments

Look snowbie,there comes a time in a discussion to realise that one would be better off agreeing to disagree.
    I've explained my view and why I hold it and you've done the same with yours.

Lets leave it at that as the original comment I made,I believe was siezed upon by you to be something which it was not.You took it up wrongly from what I can see as an attack on the integrity of your location recordings wise.
    It wasnt,it was simply a technical comment from my point of view and I'm sticking to it.

I did not dispute the accuracy of your equipment,but I did say a stevenson screen is more accurate as an explanation of the difference between you and Dublin Airport and of course the fact (from experience) that 2.5 miles can make a big difference in temp.The biggest drop is after dark and up untill dark,if Dublin airport is already hotter,it takes longer to tumble especially before dark.

You got down to 21.7c for instance on that day during the mid afternoon where as Dublin airport stayed pretty steady on 24 or 25c obviously with more variable wind directions and less affected if at all by a sea breeze.
    I know of a met station about 2-3 miles west of here and about 4 miles from the sea that on a warm day can often be maybe 2 or 3 c warmer than me and colder at night.

Dublin airport is a good representation of the temperature in Dublin but anyone coming out of their offices on a hot sunny day, and heading into stephens Green at lunch time obviously is going to have it hotter.It's a pity theres no official records taken there that I'm aware of, like there is at the london weather centre for instance.

Incidently FYI I'm entirely south of the wicklow mountains.There is high ground due west of here varying from about 400ft to a peak of 2000ft but the south,southwest and East is entirely exposed.The only shelter here is from a northerly/westerly(to an extent) and completely to the northwest.
    We wouldnt be in fohn territory.We're actually totally exposed to the prevailing winds for Ireland.

Also though I like the Davis and its a marvelous piece of equipment,I know that if I had a properly installed stevenson screen here, the temps would be close but they wouldnt match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Dito Earthman,not once was i thought of being attacked or taking anything up wrong from you.But i did find that you were commenting on peoples locations as been a bit OTT and wayward.
    I am clearly stating my case as well as you doing.

You have your data to go and so too the next person,what ever they read as there readings,stays as there readings,we just help them along with set up and placement of instruments and not to be too technical etc.The majority of people on this forum will have a basic understanding of meterology so lets not confuse them,lets help them.:)

Myself,you and a few others have a good understanding and experience in this field,so lets use all our data for this forum so we can all enjoy it.:)

Human nature to agree to disagree,theres NP there.
    We shall move on.

Snowbie wrote:
    But i did find that you were commenting on peoples locations as been a bit OTT and wayward.
    Well that would be where,I perceived that you had got the wrong impression.It's not wayward or OTT to give an opinion based on what you technically believe to be the case.It's just a part of discussion, which is good for the forum.Its what this forum is about.
    You have your data to go and so too the next person,what ever they read as there readings,stays as there readings,we just help them along with set up and placement of instruments and not to be too technical etc.The majority of people on this forum will have a basic understanding of meterology so lets not confuse them,lets help them.:)
    Well I doubt we frightened less knowledgeable people off.I'd like to see more strong flowing discussions here not less-again its good for the forum.
    Human nature to agree to disagree,theres NP there.
    We shall move on.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

:rolleyes: .......:)

Advertisement