Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passage East Car Ferry.

• 05-08-2006 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The locals are up in arms again.

from unison.
    A PROTEST by angry locals caused traffic chaos in the small village of Passage East in Co Waterford last night.

Up to 200 locals protested against the use of the village as an access point for the Passage East car ferry that runs a service to Ballyhack in Co Wexford.

During peak summer season, tailbacks and queues lasting up to three hours wind their way through the small village and up the hill overlooking the entrance to Waterford harbour.

Locals say traffic often blocks entrances to their homes, car fumes are polluting their environment and has caused damage to footpaths, roads and even buildings.

Recently local Fine Gael councillor, John Carey, who is from Passage East, said he was selling up and leaving his home of 64 years because of the constant traffic problems.

He called on the ferry operators to provide an alternative slipway outside of the village.

He promised the protests would continue on a weekly basis until the ferry had an alternative access point.

However, tourists who had to queue yesterday for over three hours were frustrated and annoyed.

One woman from Dublin said: "This is advertised in every tourist book. We brought grandkids over today and there was great excitement but when we tried to get on the ferry you were heckled, pushed, shoved. I know they probably have problems with all the traffic but there has to be a better way than what they did this evening. Children crying, no food for babies. It was disgraceful."

RTE news had a feature which stated that locals were opposed to the council giving the operator a grant to relocate, if I were so pissed-off with the traffic I'd be begging the coucil to help.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭HDX

Poor Derek Donnely having to deal with this again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Tough **** is what I would say. If there were 3 hour delays would it not be quicker to go via Waterford and New Ross?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep! But the traffic si so bad going into New Ross at certain times ppl think the ferry will be quicker so you get delays at both.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

How come we always manage to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Biggest tourist weekend of the year, Spraoi festival to attract thousands to our city and what do out locals in Passage do, block the quickest access to our neighbours & visitors.

If John Carey, as a politician really wants to do something constructive about the situation in Passage, and we all know there is hardship for the locals, I would suggest he gets up off his arse, get together with all other local politicians and also the ferry company and get the necessary infrastructure in place by protesting in the right places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The ferry must, however, be a great boost to the local economy - tourists, jobs for local people, etc. It's also a great lifeline for the people living on both sides of the river in those areas. Why shouldn't the council be expected to provide roads/access to this facility? I'm sure the ferry company is paying all their taxes, rates, etc. Or are these people bitter about the fact that they're making money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are protesting again until 7 pm

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

You cant blame the people out there in all fairness , I would'nt like to have to put up with they have to

Advertisement