Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my UAN (Universal Access Number)

• 05-08-2006 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I'm with UTV at the moment.

Where can I find my UAN? it doesn't seem to be anywhere in the UTV control panel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What does a UAN do? I never heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

What does a UAN do? I never heard of it.
    It's an account number that is not tied to any telecom operator, you bring it with you regardless of who's handling your calls, It used to be known as the Eircom Account Number (and still is by many people).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Your UAN (Universal Account Number) is printed on your Bill....You only have a UAN number if your Line rental is with anyone else besides Eircom.... ie if your paying Eircom line rental and talktalk for calls then you dont need the UAN as you use your Eircom Account Number, But if UTV has your line rental + Calls then everything goes by the UAN...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Your UAN (Universal Account Number) is printed on your Bill....You only have a UAN number if your Line rental is with anyone else besides Eircom.... ie if your paying Eircom line rental and talktalk for calls then you dont need the UAN as you use your Eircom Account Number, But if UTV has your line rental + Calls then everything goes by the UAN...

Oh right, I never knew that. So how does he go about fining it?

Well it should be printed on your Bill Companys dont make it easy to find as its so easy to change to another company.. If its not printed on your bill you will have to give them a ring, Most companys will make your life a hell saying they will post it etc... THEY CANNOT DO THIS you are fully entitled to get this number... Also if there is no contracts in the Irish telephone Marketplace.

• Advertisement

Well my bills are online and I can't see it there. I sent an e-mail on Monday but I haven't received a reply yet. I'm gonna give them a ring now.

Here is a List in How/where to get the UAN Number

Been on the phone for 40 minutes and I haven't got an answer yet, I'm hanging up. There is a 6 digit Account Reference number on my online statement is this my UAN?

No it is not the Reference number that is the Ref to your Bill...

No it is not the Reference number that is the Ref to your Bill...
    Ok, I'll give them another ring later.

• Advertisement

Just got through to them, I was told that I would need to send them something in writing. I said that I was under the impression that my UAN could be given out over the phone. He was insistent that they couldn't do that.

I told him that this is information that is supposed to be freely accessible to the customer, he said that it wasn't their policy to give the information out over the phone. To be honest I wasn't fully aware of my rights so I said that I'd phone him back.

Where do I stand?

p.s.. Would this thread now be more appropriate in IrelandOffline?

UTV are fcukers for this....Its pot luck who ya get onto on the phone... Ring up and say Grand can i have your email address so i will request it in writing and you can reply...If that dont work, Ask to talk to a Manager/Team Leader and Request it... Utv are the only company that actually do this...

Edit, Better off tryin Monday morning, and Most Cust Service would not have a Manager/Team leader workin on a Weekend...

UTV are fcukers for this....Its pot luck who ya get onto on the phone... Ring up and say Grand can i have your email address so i will request it in writing and you can reply...If that dont work, Ask to talk to a Manager/Team Leader and Request it... Utv are the only company that actually do this...

Edit, Better off tryin Monday morning, and Most Cust Service would not have a Manager/Team leader workin on a Weekend...

Yeah I'm gonna try asking for their e-mail address, I'm sure that they wont like it but if it gets the job done. I also have the facility to record phone calls, should that be an option to take if they keep fobbing me off? (Obviously I'll have to make them aware that I'm recording the conversation).

I'm gonna wait until Monday anyway, I spent 50 mins waiting for somebody to pick up the phone today.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

I had this same problem with BT when I wanted to switch back to Eircom.

They just couldn't seem to give me the correct number. It turned out that my UAN was my ORIGINAL account number with Eircom before I switched to BT a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Lanfear wrote:
    I had this same problem with BT when I wanted to switch back to Eircom.

They just couldn't seem to give me the correct number. It turned out that my UAN was my ORIGINAL account number with Eircom before I switched to BT a few years ago.

I had a similar experience with BT when trying to cancel my line. I had a UAN from an old Eircom bill but it turned out my UAN had changed - I thought the idea of a UAN was that it didn't change! They said I'd have to contact Eircom to get my new UAN and it took a bit of calm & polite persuasion to get the number read out over the phone.

I've been trying to get onto UTV for over half an hour but no luck. The Support is shocking.

edit: I've been on hold for a total of an hour now. Nice way to waste an evening!

Ok, I finally got through to UTV this morning(after being on hold for 20 minutes).

I got through to a nice Indian (presumably) chap. He asked me to send an e-mail to closemyaccount@u.tv. I told him that I don't want to close my account, I just want my UAN (although I do want to close my account, but I thought that this might be a better route to take).

He said that the information was not on his screen and that I have to send an e-mail. I asked could I send an e-mail to him instead so that I can be assured that the matter would be taken care of, he said that he doesn't have the information available to him. He assured me that I would receive a reply 'instantly'.

I wonder how 'instant' the reply is, I just sent out the e-mail now (below).
    Hello,

Could I have my Universal Account Number for information purposes, I do not wish to close my account at this time, I just wish to have access to my Universal Account Number.

Account Ref: xxxxxxx

Sincerely,
    xxxxxxxx.

P.S. Could I also mention that all other Irish telecommunications providers that I am aware of have the UAN printed at the top of their bill out of convenience to the customer. Could I ask that you review your policy with regards to releasing the UAN.

edit: I received an 'instant' e-mail back stating that they will 'endeavour to reply to the mail in 2 working days' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

daveyjoe wrote:
    edit: I received an 'instant' e-mail back stating that they will 'endeavour to reply to the mail in 2 working days' :rolleyes:
    Isn't that really irritating! It seems standard practise these days with all 'tech' support whether its your ISP, MS, firewall, antivirus, or gaming software :eek:

I got my UAN this morning, less than 24 hours so it's not too bad.

It turns out that the UAN is on the online billing system. I could have sworn it wasn't because I scoured that page looking for it. But it's there in the tiniest of fonts. I remember I did a search on the page for 'Universal' and 'UAN' but neither of them produced a result because of course it's labeled as 'Eircom/Uni Acc Ref'.

Even as I write this I'm still convinced that they only added it after I sent my e-mail to them. Here is an image for those who are not sure where to find it.

UAN.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rob_T

I'd be interested to see if the number they pointed out works for you because I quoted it as my UAN to BT and they said it was the wrong number, in that it was an old Eircom number and ot my current UAN.

• Advertisement

Meant to say I've been waiting since Monday to have someone send me my UAN from UTV. Initially spoke with Tech Support, he gave me the closemyaccount email, then I spoke to their "customer service":( line twice (held for 40mins first time and 20 mins 3 days later) and both times I was promsed a response in a matter of hours, todays Friday and still no response.

I explained to the lady the second time that I understood it would take 30 days to close my account but all I wanted was my UAN so I could arrange for my new supplier she said it would take 2 days to get me the number, I told her thats what the last lady told me and here I am 3 days later with no response. She didn't care, told me it would take her at least 2 days....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I had a slightly similar issue with Smart. For starters, the UAN doesn't appear on the bill as there's not enough room for it...unless it's on the bottom of the bill - payment slip.

I needed it to stop cold calls and was advised that due to the Data Protection Act they could only send it by mail. They did so within the week.

Just to confirm, it is supposed to be an 8 digit number?

Advertisement