Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship Week 1 Thread

• 05-08-2006 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

KO today :)

Saturday, 05 August 2006
    Barnsley v Cardiff, 15:00
    Birmingham v Colchester, 15:00
    Burnley v QPR, 15:00
    Ipswich v Crystal Palace, 15:00
    Leeds v Norwich, 15:00
    Luton v Leicester, 12:30
    Plymouth v Wolverhampton, 15:00
    Preston v Sheff Wed, 15:00
    Southend v Stoke, 15:00
    West Brom v Hull, 15:00
    Sunday, 06 August 2006
    Coventry v Sunderland, 13:30
    Derby v Southampton, 16:00

Luton are currently 1 up against Leicester

I can't look beyond Birmingham, Leeds and WBA to win the championship this season. I doubt Sunderland will be able to do it with Nial Quinn at the management helm and i expect them to rebuild (in saying that their team was already championship standard last year....). Palace have sold a lot of their top players after last seasons faillure and while i think Peter Taylor is the man to get us back in the PL i feel the playoffs are our only hope again this season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Luton off to win, so they are my favourites. :)

So many First Division sides could get promoted.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

there could be any of a dozen teams with a realistic chance of promotion and you could of course argue that every team has a realistic chance of promotion.

Five straight wins can easily take you from relegation candiates to playoff candiates in March! Look at Palace in Jan two seasons ago!

Leeds Vs Norwich is the big game today. Com'on the draw!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Leeds Vs Norwich is the big game today. Com'on the draw!

Come on Leeds!! Important to get a win to start the season. Only 20,000 at the game. Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

barnsley 0-2 cardiff. Ledley 18, thompson 21

southend 1-0 stoke Freddy eastwood pen 13 min

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ipswich 1-0 Palace

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:
    Come on Leeds!! Important to get a win to start the season. Only 20,000 at the game. Disappointing.

low enought attendance alright....did Bates raise the gate again (not physcially of course). Norwich look dangerous with Hucks and Earnie up front.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    Ipswich 1-0 Palace

bollox

Campbell scored for B'ham too. They have some strike force!
    WBA with Hartson and Ellington! Christ the championship have a wealth of strikers this year!

low enought attendance alright....did Bates raise the gate again (not physcially of course). Norwich look dangerous with Hucks and Earnie up front.

Yeah he did raise prices again but not sure how much. Norwich are on top at the moment but Healy just had a great chance.

1-0 Leeds Healy penalty.

Plymouth one up and Leeds one up

Mike.

andrewie wrote:
    1-0 Leeds Healy penalty.

GET IN! Needed that because Norwich were looking dangerous but Leeds have been getting into it alot more. Hopefully can settle down now and play some football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

We're all over Leeds. Didn't get to the game but we're playing way better football than leeds

kensutz wrote:
    We're all over Leeds. Didn't get to the game but we're playing way better football than leeds

Croft was an idiot giving away that penalty. Should never have given it away. Im not complaining though :D

Yeah, nice debut for us but he is causing trouble and Earnie is making a show of the defence.

kensutz wrote:
    Yeah, nice debut for us but he is causing trouble and Earnie is making a show of the defence.

He is making a show of Butler who is far too slow to be marking him. Kilgallon needs to mark him in the scond half or I can see Norwich grabbing a goal.

McKenzie and McVeigh are waiting on the subs bench so they'll cause havoc. We weren't optimistic during pre season but when you examine the squad, we shouldn't be afraid of anyone.

looking at WBA team that is playing against Hull....crikey! It's the same 11 as last year in the PL, even the bench is strong (inamoto, carter, claphom, albrechtsen, kuszczak)

They haven't sold or signed anyone by the looks of things, that could be seen as both a positive step and possibly a negative move. Robson could have done with trimming the squad and giving them a shake or two. It will be interesting to see what kind of form they can put together in their first 5 or so games

0-0 btw

Wolves draw level.

Mike.

Plymouth 1-1 Wolverhampton: M Doumbe og 47

Birmingham 1-1 Colchester: R Garcia 51

andrewie wrote:
    Birmingham 1-1 Colchester: R Garcia 51

Great Stuff!

Earnshaw just missed a great chance for Norwich and then Horsfield missed a sitter for Leeds. Sounds like a good game.

• Advertisement

1-0 West Brom John Hartson.

Ipswich 1-1 Crystal Palace J McAnuff

make that 2-1 Palace. Scowcroft

Burnley 1-0 QPR S Jones

andrewie wrote:
    make that 2-1 Palace. Scowcroft

Woo hoo, he comes back to haunt his old club. Don't hate Palace anymore because that certain person has left them so hopefully they'll destroy that club down the A140

Burnley 2-0 QPR. Jones again.

Cameron Jerome sent off on his Birmingham debut for voilent conduct.

2-1 Birmingham. Bendtner

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Good man Nicklas!

things are going good! I just need to see Norwich and Hull draw level

Hull won't draw level now. Hartson has scored again. 2-0.

Full time: Leeds 1-0 Norwich.

• Advertisement

Final score Leeds 1-0 Norwich.

Very good result. Tony Warner had an excellent debut in defence and Carole and Westlake looked good when they came on. Kilgallon had an excellent game as usual and Stone played well too. Maybe Norwich were unlucky not to get a draw because they had chances but Leeds had other chances to score more.

Great start to the season.

Palace 2-1 victors over Ipswich away is a FT

we're definently going to win the league now! ha! :p

(yes, i am basing our season on one game...)

west brom 2-0 hull FT

Birmingham 2-1 Colchester FT

Burnley 2-0 QPR FT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Southampton are my pick to win the league. Two good games on sky sports tomorrow. Coventry vs Sunderland and Derby vs Southampton. If Coventry can keep Mcsheffery i think they will be a good e/w bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,512 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was away at French College for the last 2 and half weeks so didnt even know the season had started till today. Great win for Leeds. Lets hope they can get a few wins at the start and build up from there. Is his thread gonna happen every week cos its good idea?

that's my plan anyway, hense the "week 1"

there are a lot of big teams in the championship who have a lot of Irish support so it makes sense to do a weekly champo thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Caught the end of the Derby vs Southampton game there, seemed to be a good one. 2-2 final score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Southend United 1 Stoke City 0 FT

A depressing visit to the sea side to be honest, Its going to be a really long and hard season for stoke fans, under former manager Tony Pulis. Severe lack of firepower was evident yesterday, Pericard and Sidibe wont score 15 between them.On the positive side its great news to hear Luke Chadwick is recovering after collapsing during the game and leaving the pitch with an oxygen mask.
    Roll on the midlands derbies this week , Derby (tues) and Brum (sat)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Leeds 1-0 Norwich

Good start for us, but from the sounds of it we werent convincing. But how andever, roll on QPR!

Norwich were all over you by all accounts. I think leeds will struggle this season. Probaly finish 5th or 6th. Nice fixture against QPR though. Should be 2 wins from 2 which wont be a bad start at all.

Norwich were all over you by all accounts. I think leeds will struggle this season. Probaly finish 5th or 6th. Nice fixture against QPR though. Should be 2 wins from 2 which wont be a bad start at all.

I dont think we will struggle. Need to sign a defender and then we have as a good a team as anyone bar maybe West Brom. Could see against Norwich that we are one defender short even though Kilgallon is the best defender in the league for me. Butler just isnt good enough and either is Gregan. If KB can sign a defender before the end of the month then I think Leeds will be up there come the end of the season although I think it will be a top 6 finish and not a top 2 finish.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:
    I dont think we will struggle. Need to sign a defender and then we have as a good a team as anyone bar maybe West Brom. Could see against Norwich that we are one defender short even though Kilgallon is the best defender in the league for me. Butler just isnt good enough and either is Gregan. If KB can sign a defender before the end of the month then I think Leeds will be up there come the end of the season although I think it will be a top 6 finish and not a top 2 finish.

Struggle is probaly the wrong word. That implies a mid-table finish. I dont think you will be challenging for the automatic promotion places. 4th place or below is my feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

hey next week make the topic 'engish league week 2' then I can post about the might Forest :D

Finally Leeds take the lead against QPR. We have had more shots than a heroin addict, about time someone stuck the ball in the net. Good man Eddie Lewis. Great away support for Leeds.

Other scores so far
    Cardiff 1-1 West Brom
    Palace 3-1 Southend
    Norwich 2-0 Preston
    Sheffield Wednesday 0-1 Luton

good to hear Lewis scoring, no Worl Cup tiredness hanging over him. QPR dont seem to be at the races at all today.

as the table currently stands were 4th.

Hull 2-3 Barnsley.

Hull were 2-0 after 9 minutes. Great come back from Barnsley.

:( QPR just equalised..penalty!

but HORSFIELD SCORES
    2-1!!!!!:D

Fitzo wrote:
    but HORSFIELD SCORES
    2-1!!!!!:D

FEED THE HORSE!!

Get in!! Crainey is a twat. Sell him Blackwell!

Kingp35 wrote:
    FEED THE HORSE!!

Get in!! Crainey is a twat. Sell him Blackwell!

QPR just equalised...2 points thrown away.

What in the name of God are we doing?!! Why are we sitting back?! QPR have equalised and should be winning now. What an absolute joke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement