Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I return something bought in Duty Free?

Options
  • 05-08-2006 3:02pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bought a camera early this year in Duty Free and I'd like to return it. How do I go about doing that? Is there a place I can go to this side of security, or do I have to wait for the next time I'm going on holidays?

Also, camera isn't broken, it's just not very good quality. I reckon that I'd be entitled to return it as it doesn't "fit the purpose for which I bought it" (basically it takes pretty crap pictures in poor light or at far distances). I guess because it's not faulty, I couldn't expect a refund, all I'd get is credit, right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I doubt you have to wait until you go on holidays again. :) Have you got the receipt still? If so then you should have a contact number for the shop there, give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

quickbeam wrote:
    (basically it takes pretty crap pictures in poor light or at far distances).

you do know most cheap digital camera are like that ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

jhegarty wrote:
    you do know most cheap digital camera are like that ?

He/she did not say it was a cheap camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

How long ago did you buy it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Bought January this year.

It wasn't what I would call cheap - about €360 if memory serves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I don't think you'll be able to return it now, did you get a warranty registration card with it from the manufacturer?

Thanks all for the advise. I might as well phone them and see what they say. Ya never know, I may get lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If you explain to the security guys on the gate, they will get someone from the shop to come up & meet you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Why has it taken you 8 months to come to the conclusion that the camera, as you say, isn't fit for the purpose intended? Thats really taking the piss you can't try it for 8 months and then return it because you dont like it. Your not going to get a refund or credit because, as you also say, there's nothing actually wrong with the camera. Buyer Beware you should have tested the camera before you bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

IF YOU ring the shop where u bought it and arrange to meet them at a certain time and place, thats what i had to do before.

BUT, i think you are wasting your time, like another poster said, u cant wait 8 months to decide u dont actually like the camera! If it takes photos then its fit for its purpose, so u can forget the 'its not fit for purpose line'! Its like buying a top in penneys, wearing it for a few months and realising hey this material is pretty sh*t, ill take it back cause its not fit for purpose - it is fit for purpose its just not great quality material!!!

Try selling the camera on ebay, at least u will get some money back to buy a new one!!

Edited to say: What did they say when u rang them??

• Advertisement

Yeah, I admit it is a bit of a piss take alright. It's just that I don't use it that often, so I didn't realise how crap it was at first, plus I thought it was something I was doing wrong, rather than the camera's fault.

I haven't phoned them yet. Will do it tomorrow and let you know the outcome. Worth trying, I guess, see what they say.

Good idea to sell on ebay actually. At least it won't be a total waste of money.

By the way, maybe it's the wrong forum to ask, but can anybody recommend a mid-range decent digital camera to buy next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

i work in a dublin camera shop and sorry to say but i'd laugh you out of the place if you came back to me,sorry not trying to be rude but your wasting your time

we get loads of chancers coming back with camera's in january after they've videotaped the christmas dinner and don't need the camcorder anymore,sorry but if it's not faulty your not intitled to anything

sorry QB!!

I rang them and they said to bring it in - they'd have a technician look at it. Which is fair enough. For all I know it is faulty - it shouldn't take such blurry pictures anyway.

Punchdrunk - maybe you can answer my previous question since you're an expert :)
    By the way, maybe it's the wrong forum to ask, but can anybody recommend a mid-range decent digital camera to buy next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

fuji f30,goes to iso 3200,which is good for low light,won camera of the year so it did,make sure you test it fully in the shop ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

punchdrunk wrote:
    fuji f30,goes to iso 3200,which is good for low light,won camera of the year so it did,make sure you test it fully in the shop ;)

I bought the Fuji F10 in Feb on the recommendation of a mate who works in a camera shop, delighted with it. Taken pictures in all kinds of lighting conditions, don't need to use the flash unless it's very poor light light. Great little camera. So I presume the F30 is even better.

Advertisement