Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sniper weaponry

• 05-08-2006 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

It is my opinion that the most cost effective fear inspiring weapon an army has in its arsenal is the sniper. Functioning alone or in two man teams they have the ability to stop platoons in their tracks and all for the cost of a rifle and bullet.
    That being said, for those who know something about small arms, what in your opinion is the best sniper weapon, past & present. Obviously personal bias will figure in your choice but the question stands

Whats the best sniper rifle out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

i like the accuracy inter. but its the only one i ever had my hands on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

ARW using AI.

632888865a1520146290b945474489l.jpg

632888865a1520144371b905932780l.jpg

632888865a1520130720b263097991l.jpg

632888865a1520035760b558677490l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

The ranger wing also have the 12.7mm anti material sniping rifle. Something like this : -

Dc5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The most effective sniper weapon is the sniper himself.
    People have asked me how I always hit my target.
    I simply say I don't squeeze the trigger until I am ready to.
    Nobody makes me shoot before I want to.
    The weapon I use is of secondary importance.
    Important yes, most important no.

It's all about training and discipline.

they are getting the AI in a 50 cal. aswell

• Advertisement

babybundy wrote:
    they are getting the AI in a 50 cal. aswell

The 50 cal and 12.7mm are the same dimensions. They already have the 12.7mm/.50 anti material rifle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I like the AI too, but I still have a soft spot for the old SMLE .303!!!

Me too, I still remember the serial number of my weapon PF 329747.
    How sad is that? I wish I had it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Hagar wrote:

That's a great story!! I loved those rifles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Hagar wrote:

I saw several No. 4's foe sale in an New York gun store recently & wondered if any were ex-DF. I've heard stories of people finding Enfields with DF markings for sale in the US & Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭kiwi84000

The Berret .50 cal is one of the best semi-auto .50 sniper rifle systems in the world.

Just click on the photo for full size!!

m107brx1.jpg

As for .308 im not a big fan, The .338 LUPA is a much better system. But as its been said befor, A rilfe is not what makes a sniper its the skill and know how of the shooter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hagar wrote:

Thats not sad Hagar ;) , what is sad is me knowing that that serial number means that it was made at ROF Fazakerly in Liverpool in the 50's and was one of the 'Irish Contract' No4 Mk2's. The most of them were never delivered to Ireland due to political problems and thus were kept in Britian and surplused off to the US in the 90's, they pop up regulary and demand a premium as they are 'Oirish' :D.

Its older brother....
    IrishLE.jpg
    (P.S. The above rifle aint mine, its a picture from the internet)

The number was very important to me as I was on the shooting team and it was essential to always use the same weapon. It was zeroed in for me by me and not handled by anyone else. The team weapons were kept seperate to the standard weapons and never used for normal training etc. I must have put a couple of thousand rounds through it.

/edit All matching serials I see, adds greatly to the value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

I miss this!:D

fal_imbel.jpg

I miss this!:D

fal_imbel.jpg

me too.. with a telescopic sight it was a fantastic marksman rifle !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Tyrone

cushtac wrote:
    I saw several No. 4's foe sale in an New York gun store recently & wondered if any were ex-DF. I've heard stories of people finding Enfields with DF markings for sale in the US & Canada.

The old mark 4's can be had most anywhere in the states. I bought one a few years ago for 65 dollars and flipped it over for a hundred and a quarter.

Not much demand for them here so they don't command much of a price.

The Fal's fall short for a sniper weapon even with a scope. The best semi auto that I have found that really shoot small groups are the Browning Bars. Most are capable of shooting in the half inch to inch range with good reloads at 100 yards. The FAL's seem to shoot well for 3 or 4 shots and then throw flyers several inches away.

Most of the guys I know shooting Long range sniper type weapons are using the Remington 700 VS in 308. I have shot .400 inch groups with mine. 5 shot group BTW. When I say .400 that is the total size of the hole. Most everyone can shoot 1/2 to 1 inch groups with the 700's.

A couple of the guys are shooting the AR-15's with great success. 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards in some cases. Hard to believe that kind of accuracy out of a semi auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

my uncle works in army archives,and we sold the old mark 4's directly to the arms dealers,most of them "war stock" never issued to irish troops but kept in stores for years absolutely mint,they were also interested in the 8 BAP's we recieved in wooden presentation boxes without serial numbers from the factory(i hear browning really wanted these back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

babybundy wrote:
    i like the accuracy inter. but its the only one i ever had my hands on
    The L96A1, here masked for snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

gmg01.jpg

nothing like the Heckler and Koch GMG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

No offense but off topic, clearly not a sniper weapon. Funny :D ,though not the question i asked.

• Advertisement

Maskhadov wrote:
    me too.. with a telescopic sight it was a fantastic marksman rifle !!
    me three i liked it too one thing about it it hurts when you get a slap of it:rolleyes: i still have the imprint of the muzzel in the back of the head:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

newby.204 wrote:
    No offense but off topic, clearly not a sniper weapon. Funny :D ,though not the question i asked.

Sniping for beginners maybe? It'd be hard to miss up to a certain distance. Any fool could learn how to stop a squad in their tracks with this.

But seriously it's becasue someone already mentioned the barrett

largest sniper weapon i can think of is the howitzer 105 9 mile snipers aka the artilery:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. From a CS pov, I loved the "552 Commando". T'was a nice weapon, full auto, with a decent zoom. CS:S killed it tho, me thinks.

As for a "proper sniper rifle", I suppose it depends on who, or what you're shooting. You can kill a deer easy enough, but killing something that will shoot back if you miss, you'll proberly need something more high powered than the 552, and something with more of a range.

Advertisement