Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats happening with the NCT?

Options
  • 05-08-2006 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Cant seem to make a booking online with any of the test centres. Is the waiting period ridiculously long does anyomne know?Thought it was a few days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

I'd doubt its that short. Last time I took it I was waiting a month or so. Shur whats the rush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i booked mine a few days ago, and have it on the 30th, not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Then I was booking the test a few months ago, I got a test in a week. A fluke as all other centres I looked at had a 3 week wait at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I got notification in Jan for one of the cars that was due in March but the other car was due in July and still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I had a problem too. Couldn't make the first appointment and the next was over a month later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

awishawash wrote:
    Cant seem to make a booking online with any of the test centres. Is the waiting period ridiculously long does anyone know?Thought it was a few days?

Seems to depend on where yea want to get the test done. I needed to use the one in Ballymun and it took about 3 weeks until they had a free spot on their website.
    Prob best to call them up and see if they have any cancellations.
    I heard of a great way to get a car tested real quick though, if you head up for the NCT centers opening time (8am?) and just say you will take the next cancellation. It seems lots of people miss their early test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

kerbdog wrote:
    I heard of a great way to get a car tested real quick though, if you head up for the NCT centers opening time (8am?) and just say you will take the next cancellation. It seems lots of people miss their early test.
    Doubt it would work tbh. Don't you have to be in the system to get a test. I doubt that they can enter an unbooked car manually in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

all cancellations are held until the next day. if you're trying to get the NCT in a hurry, ring AT 8am and tell them specifically that you want a cancellation ASAP. if you can give them a choice of local centres, this will quicken it further. their notification system seems to be a little cruddy lately because i've also had huge notice on some of my last cars, but with the last one, it expired and i still wouldn't have gotten it done if i hadn't rang them.
    i also had the same problem with the online booking service- i thought i'd have to wait months. usual waiting time in cork is 3-4 weeks. cancellations can be as quick as a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Bond-007 wrote:
    Doubt it would work tbh. Don't you have to be in the system to get a test. I doubt that they can enter an unbooked car manually in.
    Book your car in for whatever week yea can and if yea head in early (time to burn etc) and if they get a cancellation they can process yea.
    It has been done before with my car and also if you speak to the main desk in any testing center they will be glad to fill up a same-day cancellation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I got notification in Jan for one of the cars that was due in March but the other car was due in July and still nothing.

We were also due in July, and received no notice. When my wife queried this, she was told that they no longer issue notifications. As we were given an appointment in five week's time, they suggested we not use the car between now and then :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

My car and my mothers car are both due, but neither of us got notification.

I got my appointment (didn't realise that the other car was out, too) for a Wednesday 3 weeks later. Had to cancel it the Wednesday before the test due to a work appointment, but couldn't get through to them. Got through on the Thursday, and was told that it would cost me €21 for the cancellation as it was within 5 days of the test. Explained about the previous day, and was basically told tough sh1t. Rebooked for August 20th, but told them there's no way in hell I'm paying the €21 - it's a legally mandatory test, and I gave them as much notice as I could. Would a doctor charge you for rescheduling an appointment?

Anyway, rang on the Tuesday to see if they had a space free, and was told they hadn't. So they're trying to double up on their money. If they refuse to do0 the test because I won't pay the extra money, I'll be looking for a letter saying that they refused to test my car to give to the Gardai/tax office.

If they test my car, I can't wait to see what they fail me for!!!!

Incidentally, if you cancel a hotel reservation, they can only charge you if they fail to sell the room for the time reserved.

Fuming as I write this. Still have to book in my mothers car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

a polish workmate of mine also asked me to take his car to get NCT'd so he could insure it. he had a couple of problems and was down to the wire cos he needed it for a specific trip. it had to go up on the lift, so it had to be booked, but i chanced my arm one day and brought it to the centre first thing one morning. they put it through no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Cancellation slots are released onto their system at 8am, if you ring or go online you'll get one. I was told this by one of their phone operators when I called to complain about the lack of availability and sure enough, I got my time.

Advertisement