Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mods - Get some pactical guides up! Changing brake pads/wiring fogs etc

Options
  • 05-08-2006 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

There should be some practical guides made stickyed at the top of the motoring section. Theres always threads on folk wantinginfo on where to get their brake pads changed and other folk replying to change them themselves and saying how easy it is.

I reckon there should be a guide put up, where perhaps 1 member could do a talk-thru with pics at different stages of changing brake pads on their car so we can learn. :)

A similar guide on wiring foglights would be great too. Pics needed of the wiring.

Other members probably have some guides they`d find useful too, feel free to post a suggestion in this thread. C`mon mods get the fingers out and get some real motor stuff going on in here instead of the endless talk talk talk like threads of which cars the best when half the people talking about their alfas/tdi`s etc cant even change the oil. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Are you volunteering Your Services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I don't think amateurs should be playing around with brakes, steering and electrics tbh, I'm not lecturing here but if you don't know how to change brake pads get someone who does, the same goes for electrics. They're not the kind of thing to mess around with. Just common sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Write one yourself. I've no problem pointing it out to people, but others who make a living out of doing things like this might. I've made some small bits of money here and there changing peoples brakes and other things etc. It's not worth the mods time really, if someone changes their brakes and they fail, could be a tight spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Ill volunteer a guide on fitting oil temp and pressure/water temp and volt gauges in the next couple weeks. My oil sandwich plate is in the post.

These things arent too hard if you know what your doing, you only know what your doing by learning, we can learn with some guides and a bit of research.

If people fook up their brakes by misfollowing a few guides hey used for some help its their own fault. Theres no comeback on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats true legally speaking on the other hand a little knowledge is a danergous thing and what works for vehicle A might'nt for vehicle B without certain changes. It could get very messy with countless addenda. I would'nt try to apply the instructions for lets say Opel brakes with Citroen hydro-pneumatic powered brakes but someone else might.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Nuttzy wrote:
    If people fook up their brakes by misfollowing a few guides hey used for some help its their own fault. Theres no comeback on anyone.
    Technically thats not true as some of the legal experts here might tell you, just be careful some people will make a big deal out of something like this, if they think they can get someone who was helping them to take a fall when offering advice, they will. My advice is to stay away from brakes, steering and electrics. I can appreciate Nuttzy that you have peoples best interest at heart but there are f**kers out there that will hang you if the sh*t hits the fan.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well no-one here can get dragged through the courts for offering advice (as thats all such articles would be) the nets full of them and they say at the end something like This worked for me it might'nt work for you - carry out repairs at your own risk

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/

Mike

They can just put up a disclaimer bearing no responsibility for cock-ups.

Look at this for a guide on foglights for a Honda. Thats what we need.
    http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6339166&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

If we got a few guides up we could put them under different manufacturers, so we wouldnt have people using a guide based on a bmw brakepads for their citroen hydraulic system.

Wow, for any honda owners here, this link below is essential. Install guides for just about everything from front bumper splitters to fogs to armrests.
    http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda_install_guides.php

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Any sticky for DIY guides could only be very general at best. There are so many variations between cars, makes, models, years, etc. Also, as junkyard says, there are certain things that shouldn't be undertaken by a 'novice'. If you want learn how to do things then probably the best thing to do is go out and buy a Haynes manual or similar - something that is specific for your make and model.

If you're unsure about removing and refitting components within the brake and/or steering systems then it is probably best that you get someone who knows what they are doing. Failure of either system has a relatively high chance of killing you, your passengers and other road users.

Fitting electrical accessories should also be approached with caution. Factors such as fuse ratings, wire guages, correct terminations, insulation etc need to be correct to ensure safety. Incorrect components can cause a vehicle fire.

Then there is the legal aspect for Boards.ie to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What about a sticky with helpful DIY and tech links:-
    e,g,
    www.carbibles.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anyone with a Ford should search for a place to acquire the Ford Technical Information Service DVD from 2004 (last year before they switched to an online system). Lovely diagrams and step by step instructions for doing everything to most modern Ford cars, including scary stuff like removing engines, and so forth.

The legal issue is a real one. A disclaimer would probably do to avoid it. Boards is hardly the place though, dedicated owners club websites probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Start a technical sub forums to post car related issues:

Start off with details of the car:

1999 Opel Astra 5dr h/b
    1.4 16v
    90000 miles

Then state the problem:

Rear Passenger light not working.

Most cars have their own owners club with technical forums anway

So is there a real need

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

kluivert wrote:
    Start a technical sub forums to post car related issues:

Start off with details of the car:

1999 Opel Astra 5dr h/b
    1.4 16v
    90000 miles

Then state the problem:

Rear Passenger light not working.

That sounds like a very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Hi

I have a website ready for just such a purpose.
    www.helpmemotor.com
    i set it up a while a ago but havnt done any thing to it. i never have my cameraz with me when workin on the car so.
    if anyone has a DIY job that they are doing just take a few snaps write a detailed reprot of what needs to be done and any tips or safety suggestions
    then email to me at
    joey3@campus.ie

i havent set up a pic upload on the web page contact page yet
    i'll put the job up on the web page then.

Advertisement