Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone please answer me this question?

Options
  • 06-08-2006 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello, can someone answer me this question please.
    I have a viewing for a house on Wednesday and in order to arrange an appointment I had to ring a letting agency. This house appears to be perfect for us and therefore I am reallt worried that it may be given to someone else. The letting agency said I have the first appointment but if someone came in to the office (before I got my viewing) with the deposit and said, "I want that house", would the letting agency give it to them even though they have a load of appointments arranged?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Simple answer is Yes. You can be gazumped when renting too.

In fact, you can even be gazumped after you agree to take the property (but before you sign/pay deposit).

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The letting agency could have 10 apointments to show the house and no guarantee that anyone will take it, so if someone comes in with cash in hand and takes the place no question asked of couse their going to give it too them.

Or what if the letting agent rang you and asked if you want to put in a better offer for renting the house because the asking price was met.-how would you react

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭pFd

Damn, how am I going to secure this house. I really really want it. Its perfect for us. Knowing my luck someone will go in to the office with the deposit and take it without even viewing it.
    Can anyone offer me a solution please?
    Well, the good news is that Monday is a bank holiday so there'll be no viewings then and the office wont be open. But Tuesday is a worry, someone might snatch it from me then. My viewing is on Wednesday and as soon as I get into the house I'm offering them the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think you should calm down. Not very many people are going to rent a house without seeing it.

This house might seem perfect, but there are plenty more houses out there.

The landlord or agent isn't just going to give this property to the first tenant who comes along. They may try and game up the rent. Or they may try and get the best tenant they can, by interviewing him/her and checking references.

I think you should calm down. Not very many people are going to rent a house without seeing it.

This house might seem perfect, but there are plenty more houses out there.

The landlord or agent isn't just going to give this property to the first tenant who comes along. They may try and game up the rent. Or they may try and get the best tenant they can, by interviewing him/her and checking references.

Thanks for that, I hope your correct.
    Thats the first reply I've got thats made me more relaxed.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

pFd wrote:
    Hello, can someone answer me this question please.
    I have a viewing for a house on Wednesday and in order to arrange an appointment I had to ring a letting agency. This house appears to be perfect for us and therefore I am reallt worried that it may be given to someone else. The letting agency said I have the first appointment but if someone came in to the office (before I got my viewing) with the deposit and said, "I want that house", would the letting agency give it to them even though they have a load of appointments arranged?

If the letting agency are looking for references (employer, previous landlord) have them ready, I used to work for an estate agent and if a number of suitable people were interested it usually went to the person who had the deposit and references in first. Letting agencies don't make a massive amount of money from each letting so they do not want to show the properties too often.

Guys, i cant believe it. It happened. Someone went into the office and gave them a deposit. I'm a 19 yr old man (boy!) and I very nearly started crying. It It was the biggest disppointment I've ever had. Its such a disgrace that students have to go throught this.
    Please can anyone offer me some help, I would really appreciate it. I cannot pick myself up out of this never-ending black hole.
    No wonder students drink alot.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I Can't understand how if you knew that the property was for you that you didn't put a deposit down? Its a dog eat dog world out there and unfortunatly 'just a poor student' does not really wash when money and property comes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

pFd,

had you actually seen the place? Because the impression I'm getting is that you thought that it sounded perfect on paper, but hadn't seen it. If it was that important, you really should have gone to see it sooner. However, I guess you know that.

I've been around the block with rentals in Ireland, and to be honest, a lot depends on the type of people who are involved. I don't really like dealing with agents (only did it twice, once okay, once not okay), but likewise, until I have a key and a receipt for a deposit, I take nothing for granted.

You really can't judge how good a place is until you have stood in it. I know it's a drag, but believe me, it's true. I don't even trust photographs.

The best advice I can give you is to calm down. Going off on a tangent of "no wonder students drink so much" is not going to win you any sympathy. Most of us have been students too, and we all coped.

whippet wrote:
    I Can't understand how if you knew that the property was for you that you didn't put a deposit down? Its a dog eat dog world out there and unfortunatly 'just a poor student' does not really wash when money and property comes into it.

Well, its always said that you learn the hard way and we absolutely did learn the hard way yesterday. We know for again, you dont book appointments to view houses, you take the house there and then.

As for the "just a poor student" comment, I know I'm not alone but it really does feel like it.

Thanks
    pFd

• Advertisement

Calina wrote:
    pFd,

had you actually seen the place? Because the impression I'm getting is that you thought that it sounded perfect on paper, but hadn't seen it. If it was that important, you really should have gone to see it sooner. However, I guess you know that.

I've been around the block with rentals in Ireland, and to be honest, a lot depends on the type of people who are involved. I don't really like dealing with agents (only did it twice, once okay, once not okay), but likewise, until I have a key and a receipt for a deposit, I take nothing for granted.

You really can't judge how good a place is until you have stood in it. I know it's a drag, but believe me, it's true. I don't even trust photographs.

The best advice I can give you is to calm down. Going off on a tangent of "no wonder students drink so much" is not going to win you any sympathy. Most of us have been students too, and we all coped.

Calina,
    I know it sounds terrible but I really do feel like that. I dont want any sympathy, just a bit of help. We can't find a home and we're being drained of energy (and money) going up and down to dublin every few days with high hopes only to go home empty handed. Monaghan is not just around the corner from dublin you know.
    We can't even get a viewing. It's soul destroying.

Thanks,
    pFd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Ah. You never said you were a student.

Chances are the property you were looking at was not actually let through that agency, or else they decided that they weren't going to let it to you, probably because you are a student, presumably in your first or second year.

It is going to be tough. Keep trying and find something as fast as you can, it will only get worse when the results come out.

This isn't going to be cheap. If you don't have enough money to do this, go and get some credit somewhere (probably relatives).

Advertisement