Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

32PF5321 - Newbie needs help

• 06-08-2006 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Firstly forgive me if this is in the wrong part of the forum. Moderators feel free to move if necessary !!
    Now I am very very close to purchasing this LCD TV - this Philps 32PF5321
    Anyway I am getting this for 1048 EURO, which I think is a good price.
    Now next question (and please forgive my ignorance first before you read this questions:) ) I am also looking at buying this Wireless Home cinema system NOw stupid questions is ....Can the home cinema system be hooked up to TV directly so can get cinema system sound for games, movies on TV etc...I could be talking realt bulls*!t now and someone please tell me if I am.
    And also what do people think in general about this TV and cinema system.
    thanks alot

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Not a big fan of wireless systems. They don't pack the same punch as a proper amplifier and speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

A nice short answer to the OP's main question , yes the home cinema system can be hooked up to the TV to give cinema sound.
    It depends on the source though whether or not you get 5.1 digital . ( 5.1 would be considered cinema sound I think , however Dolby digital can also refer to 2 channel PCM stereo ! so I'll call cinema sound here 5.1 ! )

Now for the details ,
    5.1 sound may not be available directly from the TV , but should be available no problem from a DVD player or a Sky + box , (not sure about NTL or chorus as Ive never had one) , on some channels. Its typically the movie channels that have 5.1 although some other channels have it also ,

5.1 is definitely available from the Xbox.

I have no experience with the sound system you have listed , so cant comment on the quality , but I do have experience with a similar Sony system.

The wireless rears sound OK , but the ad is misleading in that they can be blocked easily by placing someone or something in the line of sight. The previous poster was correct , they are not as good as wired but better than ripping up a hardwood floor to bury wires.

As for those wattage measurements , pure B******* , the system is DIN 80W , this is the true figure for comparison , its actually hidden down in the specs somewhere in your link , retailers in this part of the world have been misleading for years in this respect , not so in the US where its now illegal to give out such figures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Ok then if they're wireless how do they get their power ? Batteries ? This Philips wireless rear system uses a "wireless receiver" so still has wires from this box to the speakers I guess !? Can't find any mention of an extra receiver for the Panasonic system but I'd guess it's similar. That means you'll have to have somewhere at the back of the room to hide this extra box and there'll still be wires going from it to the speakers ?? Anyone got a similar setup that could confirm this ?

IMO for the sake of a couple of discrete cables you could get a proper amp and speakers that you can change anytime when you get tired of them rather than have to replace the whole lot.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

You are correct Zener , the Sony system that I am talking about has batteries in the rear speakers !! No wires !! the transmitter comes from the front end and broadcasts to the two rears. There are now plenty of similar systems on the market.

And this is hardly a high end gear discussion anyway , the facts of the matter are that some people do not have the option to use wired speakers , either due to the overall Decor being more important ( the GF has to be taken into account , ) or rented accommodation where no drilling etc. is allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 anto8791

Thanks for al the help so far everyone. I am heading to purchase tomorrow so will have a look at some more stuff inside there as well.
    Any body have any ideas on the TV whether is is any good or what ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

mathias wrote:
    You are correct Zener , the Sony system that I am talking about has batteries in the rear speakers !!

Sony ??? The link is to Panasonic and it uses a wireless device to which the rear speakers connect and it's a mains device - have you a socket close by ?!? The manual is here. It's a .pdf and about 1MB in size.

ZEN

edit: Sorry mathias - <points to me> Gobsh!te </points to me> Just realised you weren't the OP but the system he/she refers to does have a rear mains powered device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 JayZuZ

I got one of these last week and am very disappointed. Response time is simply unacceptable and there's no way its the stated 8ms. Panning shots are totaly soft, zoom creates a tunnel like effect and there's a general grubbiness to the picture unless the image is static. I'm bringing it back.
    Make sure you get a decent demo before ya buy and especially view something with moderate motion etc.
    Maybe I just got a dodgy set but I doubt it.

j

Advertisement