Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do NOT use the internet to self-diagnose!

• 06-08-2006 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I remember seeing an episode of Sex and the City a while ago where they were discussing self-diagnosing health issues using the net. One of them said "You can do that?!" and the other replied "Yeah, just enter your symptoms into a search engine, press enter and wait for the word 'cancer' to appear on the screen". Now is that or is that not what most people do?!? It's certainly what I used to do anyway. The internet has told me I'm going to die a painful horrible death numerous times over the past few years when all I needed was two days in bed and a cupasoup.

I've just had my tonsils out three days ago and I've just been searching the net for tips on making the recovery more comfortable. I came across someone who had a tonsillectomy at my age giving the following advice:

"I was 20 when I had mine out. It was horrendous, the pain was very bad, and my pain medication was Tylenol with Codeine, which really didn't begin to touch it. Extreme cold (ie. ice cream) made the pain worse for me. The only thing that was tolerable were lukewarm liquids and lying absolutely still. It took me several weeks to get to the point that I could eat even soft foods. And, anything with acid? Oh, hell no. The first time I tried to drink orange juice, I thought I would die."

Personally, I was eating toast and cereal within 24 hours pretty painlessly and have been drinking orange juice and tea for the past 3 days. The pain is extremely bareable and ice-cream is really soothing.

The moral of my story? DON'T GO LOOKING ON THE NET FOR ANSWERS TO YOUR HEALTH ISSUES! Coz you're gonna read many many f.ucked up things and let's be honest, it's the bad things that you'll believe before you believe the positive stories.

So before you scare the sh.ite outta yourself by entering your symptoms into a search engine and being told your gonna suffer a horrible death, remember - it's likely to all be a complete pile of crap. Go see a doc if you're genuinely concerned about something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement