Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schrodinger - A Game with Sharpened Knives

• 06-08-2006 2:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭

I don't know if many of you are aware that Erwin Schrodinger lived in Clontarf, Dublin for 17 years following the outbreak of WWII. DeValera invited him over when he was sacked from his job in Austria due to his objections to Nazism, and he was one of the founding members of the Dublin Institute of Advanced Studies, and it was here that he performed his work on the genetic code that assisted with the discovery of the DNA Double Helix.

A guy from Dublin called Neil Belton has recently published a book called "A Game with Sharpened Knives" which is a semi-factbased fiction of Schrodinger's first few years in Dublin, with interesting insights into his work, his past and his personal life (yes, there's probably some of Schrodinger's bloodline wandering around Dublin). Anyone else read this book, what do you think? I found it pretty interesting, although very heavy going and pretty depressing stuff towards the end.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Heya,

What a coincidence! These past few days in my spare time I have been reading-up on DNA and came across Schrödinger's name obviously. Now that you've mentioned it here I have to say that I had no idea he lived in Ireland. I'll make note of that book and check it out.

Kevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Here's a brief note about his time in Dublin:

http://www2.tcd.ie/Physics/Schrodinger/History.html

Indeed there's a lecture theatre in Trinity named after him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blackadder

fascinated to find out that he lived around the corner from where i grew up. does the book mentioned above give the number of the house? i'll be visiting clontarf some time soon (i live in london now) and would love to know which house it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blackadder

schroedingershouse.htm

ye gods. i've just found this photo on a clontarf website. i've realised that i've walked past this house a thousand times. it's five minutes from where i grew up. i simply never stopped to read the plaque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

CT, I occassionally lecture in the Schrodinger theatre but had never heard of this book. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Between one thing and another it took me an age to read this book. Worth it though. I really enjoyed it. I have to say more as a historical read than a scientific one but very enjoyable all the same.

Advertisement