Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tour Bus Needed........

Options
  • 06-08-2006 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Right - me and the lads in the band are thinking of buying a "tour bus". We've got 5 band members and a lot of PA gear plus instruments.

Can anyone recommend a van/bus type of thing?

We only want to spend about €2k so it will have to be a wee bit old.

We are looking at a Merc 609 or similar. We all only have B licences.

Any suggestions...................?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote:
    We are looking at a Merc 609 or similar. We all only have B licences.

You won't be able to legally drive 609 with a B licence as most AFAIK are up to 24-26 seats. With a B licence you are limited to a GVW not exceeding 3.5 tonnes and up to eight passengers. 609s are at least 5 tonnes. Even if you removed the passenger extra seats, it would be over GVW 3.5 tonnes. A D1 only allows up to 16 passengers - most 609s buses/vans require a D/C1 licence.

You would need to be looking at Transit/Hiace/Ducato etc.

(A useful guideline - If the van/bus has orange/red reflective stripes on the rear and yellow/green stripes on the side, then it is over 3.5 tonnes and can't legally be driven with a B licence).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I often see "crew cab" Transits with an extra window and one row of seats behind the drivers cab. There would be plenty of room for 5 people and loads of room for stuff in the back in one of these esp if it was a LWB van. Not sure about the legality of them though as some look like home conversions and may not have the proper seatbelts etc. installed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks lads. I guessed the weight would be a problem. Transit crewcab sounds like a good idea. It looks like I've to a lot more research into this.................

Advertisement