Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

who to ring then the garda wont answer

Options
  • 06-08-2006 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

just wondering i was trying to get through to the tullamore station to report people for drink driving but i couldnt get through. no one would answer.

i would of understood if this happened late at night but it was 6pm yesterday

i dont want to ring the 999 number cause its not a emergiency but surly they must have some number that they would pick up on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Just run into the local chipper and tell one of the guards there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

damnyanks wrote:
    Just run into the local chipper and tell one of the guards there :)
    or abrakebabra

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Great answers guys to a pretty serious question. Its not the humour forum.

I think there is an 1850 number you can call but not sure exactly what it is or what its function is.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

elexes wrote:
    just wondering i was trying to get through to the tullamore station to report people for drink driving but i couldnt get through. no one would answer.

i would of understood if this happened late at night but it was 6pm yesterday

i dont want to ring the 999 number cause its not a emergiency but surly they must have some number that they would pick up on

When I reported a drink driver on the road in front of me I simply dialled 999. Perfectly acceptable IMO, life and limb were in danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭insane drummer

yea im from tullamore too, the gaurds here are ****in ****e, they dont do any thing there ment to, never mind make sure people are following the rules of the road,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I agree, dial 999 or 112 if you see a drunk driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

kippy wrote:
    G...there is an 1850 number ...

They never answer that. Best to ring the 999 or 112 number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I live in Daingean, near Tullamore, so I'll tell you my own little story.

Back in April, on my way home from work at around 2:40am on a Saturday night/Sunday morning, I was travelling from Tullamore to Daingean on the Ballinager route. I caught up to a navy Alfa 145, driving like it was in control by a drunk driver, with a passenger. Varying speeds, clipping the grass verge and in some cases, the hedge, weaving in and out.

So, I dialled the Tullamore Barracks directly. Told them the story, gave them the reg of the car, and said I would tail it to advise of any change in direction till they stopped it.

Trouble is, I was told, there was no available garda unit to meet me between there and the other side of Edenderry. They apologised and said there was nothing more they could do.

Further to that, in July 2004, I reported and subsequently was determined to take a driver to court for severe dangerous driving. The cop looking after my 'case', submitted the file to the clerk of the court 2 days too late the following January 2005 - 2 DAYS TOO LATE, 6 MONTHS LATER... what gives? I was ready to do the nasty on a fellow driver... but the cops failed me.

And that wasn't the first time...

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Seanie M wrote:
    Further to that, in July 2004, I reported and subsequently was determined to take a driver to court for severe dangerous driving.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how can YOU take a driver to court? Surely it is the decision of the DPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Bluetonic wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but how can YOU take a driver to court? Surely it is the decision of the DPP.

im sure he means he was a witness

anyways thanks ill ring the 999 number in future

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Generally it is the decision of the superintendant.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

ring 999 for drunk drivers!! i have done so in the past (in cork and kerry). guards have caught up with me and pulled over the driver of the car and arrested them for drunken driving. got a call back after thanking me(from the cops obviously not the arrested lad!). chuffed!i feel that it was a matter or life and death and the guards kept me on the phone on the 999 line to keep updating them on the cars progress so from that id imagine they thinks its an emergency too or else they would have hung up?!(well possibly)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I did it a few months ago, was driving along about 8pm and came across a guy in front of me and he was all over the road, completely twisted drunk... Rang 999 and explained a problem, then asked to be put through to the nearest garda station and was put straight through. Was talking to the garda after they caught him, he rang back to say thanks and I asked him whether I was right ringing 999 and he said it was the right thing to do..

Better to ring 999 for that, than for the accident he was bound to cause and end up having to call a firebrigde and ambulance with the gardai..

I would consider that an emergency as its a chance to possibly save a few lives.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    I did it a few months ago, was driving along about 8pm and came across a guy in front of me and he was all over the road, completely twisted drunk... Rang 999 and explained a problem, then asked to be put through to the nearest garda station and was put straight through. Was talking to the garda after they caught him, he rang back to say thanks and I asked him whether I was right ringing 999 and he said it was the right thing to do..

Nice one, Tox. Fair play for ringing 999 and fair play to the Gardai for following up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I've rung 999 several times all with good outcomes, very interested cops and luckily there was always a squad car near me. Dont be afriad to use 999, you could be saving someone elses life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Wouldn't doing this now also get yourself into trouble,

Guard, i following him, he's langers I tell you, Oh yes and you wouldn't happen to be using a Mobile Phone would you, dear concerned citizen? Oh no guard I have a ten mile cable drum in the back connected to the exchange.. No mobile phones here, Alright so two penalty points for your trouble while Mr. Drunk driver walks free on some irrational technicality.

I gave up on the whole reporting thing when I got music and please hold, while trying to report some polish f*cker who almost killed myself and my father about 3 months ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

netwhizkid wrote:
    Wouldn't doing this now also get yourself into trouble,

Guard, i following him, he's langers I tell you, Oh yes and you wouldn't happen to be using a Mobile Phone would you, dear concerned citizen? Oh no guard I have a ten mile cable drum in the back connected to the exchange.. No mobile phones here, Alright so two penalty points for your trouble while Mr. Drunk driver walks free on some irrational technicality.

I gave up on the whole reporting thing when I got music and please hold, while trying to report some polish f*cker who almost killed myself and my father about 3 months ago.

Bluetooth headset solved that issue and garda involved never even questioned me about it.. He was more worried about the guy in front of me doing 100kph on the wrong side of the road and twisted drunk!!!!

Advertisement