Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gretna FC v Derry City fc - UEFA Cup Thursday

• 06-08-2006 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Derry City are playing Scottish first division leaders Gretna in the UEFA Cup 2ND Qualifying Round at Fir Park, Motherwell on Thursday.

Gretna won their first match of the season 6-0 :eek: yesterday against Hamilton to go top.

A tough tie for Derry as they seem like a real improving side. Hard to predict how this one goes.

LIVE ON SETANTA SPORTS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Derry are a top class side, and this should be a good game. Just look at the form Shelbourne have been in, and Derry are only 2 points behind, with a game in hand! Stephen Kenny is a magician.

Flying over myself with a few other Shels fans on Thursday, really looking forward to it! Hopefully Derry stuff them something rotten over there, I'm thinking 2-1 to Derry in the first leg. :)

I think Derry can win both legs, which'll be amazing for the coefficient - and obviously put them into the first round proper - and no matter who they get, I wouldn't bet against Derry in that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Derry a bunch of big strong lads with class, expect them to get a result over there.

Some of the Gretnas fans posting on foot.ie are hilarious :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Hopefully Derry get through and if they win both legs all the better.

Wouldn't mind heading over myself, but money is tight after Lithuania and Denmark.

I wonder is there any chance either Derry or Drogheda will be on live on Thursday evening.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

KdjaC wrote:
    Derry a bunch of big strong lads with class, expect them to get a result over there.

Anything better than 0-0 over there(as in any score draw or win) and I think Derry are through .

I just can't see them conceading at the Brandywell .

UEFA Cup - Qualifier 2nd Round - 1st Leg

Gretna v Derry City
    LIVE
    7.45pm · 20:45cet
    Setanta Sports 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Gretna are good enough to hold a position in the top half of the SPL, which is what they will do next year. They will beat Derry by about three goals.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

westtip wrote:
    Gretna are good enough to hold a position in the top half of the SPL, which is what they will do next year. They will beat Derry by about three goals.

right you are, infact half of thier first team squad were signed from premiership clubs and only joined Gretna because they could offer better wages than Killie, motherwell and the likes.

Derrfy should win but don't expect this to be a white wash lads, remember gretna had to beat teams as good and better than derry to get to the cup final last year and hearts found it hard enough to beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

westtip wrote:

If they beat Derry it won't be by 3 goals. Irish sides are also good enough to be in top 5 or 6 in Scottish premier so they should be evn at very least.

Former Carisle player Breandan McGill from Dublin got 2 at the weekend for them. Their pre season results have been very mixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Are people forgetting just what team Derry City knocked out in the last round?

It was IFK Gothenburg for the record, just in case anyone has forgotten.

Now they play Gretna. It won't be easy, no European games are, but Gretna certainly won't win by three clear goals either.

I don't care that "half their squad were in the SPL before" or whatever other crap is spouted about Gretna. The top four in the eL - for those that don't know they are Shelbourne, Derry City, Drogheda United and Cork City - would definitely hold their own in the SPL. I can't envisage Gretna challenging the top three of Celtic, Rangers and Hearts for at least another three years, so get off the SPL high horse people, it's a below average league - once you take away the Old Firm and the Scottish Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

EL is a below average league aswell though. Very hard to call, Gretna fans are underestimating Derry, Derry(EL fans in general) are doing the same.

If they get an away goal they will be in with a great chance. I'd even be happy if they lost 2-1.

Should be a good game. Anyone know anything about IK start? Hopefully drogs wouldnt be too down after their hammering from shels.

Start are hovering around the wrong end of the Norwegian top division, last I checked they were 12th out of 14, with 14 games played. Though I hear they won t'other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I hope Gretna underestimate Derry.

If they do they are in for a tough couple of matches. Quality in every position and Paddy McCourt coming back to full fitness. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I know nothing about gretna...before the cup final last year, I'd never even heard of them and I never saw them play.

But the fact they are in scottish first division (despite how they could do in the pl) spells to me that they can't be a side much better than derry. As has been said, the top 4 EL teams, I think, would not only survive SPL, but possibly one or two could push for a top 4 or 5 finish.

I think in the round of the competition it is, it's a superb draw for Derry, probably the best one they could have gotten, and it's a great oppertunity to get 2 wins in the round and boost the league co-efficient further. Despite my limited knowledge of them, I would be confident enough of Derry to come out on top over 2 legs.

Remind me...If Derry go through to the next round, is that the group stages or is it another round after?

If Derry go through they reach the 1st round , the group stage starts in the second round .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Start are hovering around the wrong end of the Norwegian top division, last I checked they were 12th out of 14, with 14 games played. Though I hear they won t'other day.

http://www.uefa.com/footballEurope/Club=52998/domestic.html

3 wins on the bounce including one against Rosenborg.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

If Derry get any kind of result away,they will win the tie because they will not be beaten at home!

Flying over on Thursday for it,cant wait :)

Do Shels fans know its Derry playing Gretna and not Shels ? Why are a few going over?

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Do Shels fans know its Derry playing Gretna and not Shels ? Why are a few going over?

kdjac

There's a few people going over from plenty of EL clubs(namely Cork aswell) , just supporting the league . If our league ever gets up to a high placing on the nations coefficiant rankings then that will change but as of now people are wishing all the other clubs well and doing their bit supporting them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

All sounds a bit gay if you ask me. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

KdjaC wrote:

Because we can :)

Cheap flights,a day out,lots of alcohol,if i wasn't i would be in work,it's a football match,supporting our fellow EL teams etc.

Put it this way,why not?

Anto McC wrote:

Put it this way,why not?

Cos its Derry? So you want them to win on Thursday but lose to us on Sunday?

That makes no sense, I would like Derry to win for them and their fans, I hope Drogs lose 11 -0 and hoped Shels got hammered in any game really Euro or not.

Dont see how you can want your rivals to win, do Man Utd fans want Pool to win in their Cl games as it makes the PL better :confused:

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Cos its Derry? So you want them to win on Thursday but lose to us on Sunday?

That makes no sense, I would like Derry to win for them and their fans, I hope Drogs lose 11 -0 and hoped Shels got hammered in any game really Euro or not.

Dont see how you can want your rivals to win, do Man Utd fans want Pool to win in their Cl games as it makes the PL better :confused:

kdjac

I think we all want these sides to win in Europe because they are representing Ireland, not just Drogheda and Derry. Its about national pride.

IK Start look a decent side. Only 10points off the top. I think we are really underrating them them on here. I cannot see Drogs get through that one. Norwegian sides are very hard to beat.

Gretna 8/11 to beat Derry. Derry are 9/2 on Betfair to win :eek:

Drogs 6/1 on Betfair.

Gretna 4/6 to win Scottish Div 1 title. :(

Dont fancy drogs myself either...but you never know.

I think the whole point of supporting Derry or Drogs is because they're in Europe. I'll cheer them on, just like I cheered Cork on in the CL...But it's only because we want "the league" to do well in europe aswell as our own club because, ultimatley, it will give an advantage to our own club if all the other irish clubs win in europe as we are pushing for bye's into next rounds, further progression into later rounds, more money for the league and more attractive to players outside of the country (for example playing teams like Deportivo and, unfortunatly not this season, but teams like Milan too)

Its different in the domestic scene, but in Europe, we're all in the same boat and we all want the league to do well aswell as individual teams.

I like to think Irish football is a closer nit community than the English game, as supporters can relate to eachother, their clubs struggle and the leagues struggle and all trying to make it better together...so there is a high level of good will.

In England, it's too big for any sense of community or national pride...it's all about one mans team.

I'm going cuz it'll be fun. I'll support any Irish team in Europe, until the day we no longer need to. Meeting up with some Derry lads over there and the plan is to just have a few drinks and a good time, where's the harm, eh?! ;) Back in time for our clash with Cork, so its all good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Looking forward to this one.

Come on the Candystripes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just a bumpity-bump for this thread.

The game is tonight.

Come on The Candystripes!

Prediction 1-1 draw.

Game is live on Setanta Sports tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Are any of the lads that said they are flying over actually going to get there thou?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

finnpark wrote:
    Prediction 1-1 draw.

Game is live on Setanta Sports tonight.
    I don't think it's on Setanta Sports Ireland but it's on Setanta Sports 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

To be honest I think we are over-rating both Irish teams here. If Derry are at their vesy best over the two legs they have a chance, but I'm pretty sure Drogheda are going to be knocked out.

Watching both games as a neutral will be interesting because you know the teams and players involved, but I have to say that I don't feel any affinity towards either team. Don't really care if either team qualify or not, Wouldn't particularly like to see either go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

I honestly hope Derry qualify but tbh i dont see it happening.

I have been following Gretna big time the past 3 years and they've won me a lot of money. There an excellent footballing side.

I think they'll win and win well tonight but i hope I'm wrong.

Well I was confident about both sides going through but it seems Start have hit some good form and I would favour them over Drogheda now .

I still think Derry will go through , although I am well aware how good Gretna are . They are a Scottish 1st division side in name only and would probably finnish somewhere between 4th-6th in the SPL .

Prediction for tonight Start 1-0 Drogheda , Gretna 1-1 Derry .

2000+ Derry supporters at game. Derry have a number of injury concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Good luck to Derry and Drogs !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Derry are the most underrated team in the eircom League as far as I can see.

Because they are so isolated they get ignored to an extent. After a great run last season they have improved again.

Roddy has an opinion that they play a predictable game, but whenever I see them I see attacking threats all over the pitch.

Key player is Barry Molloy. Controls the game and is a good passer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

backed a draw @ 3.4 on betfair. i expect derry to play a solid game but don't see gretna losing this one at home

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4777649.stm

"Their work ethic is very similar to ourselves, but I hope our quality will come through first and foremost.

"And if we can match their work ethic then we should be confident of going through.

Bit of a veiled insult on Derry there by the Gretna boss .

Its very hard to win away from home. Its a pity Paddy McCourt is out.

any have a stream for this?

Doubt you'd get a stream for this game. I have a small bet on Derry and would love to watch this. Setanta the idiots not showing it on their Irish channel.

best I can find is a radio link:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/rf_popup.shtml

• Advertisement

1-1 25 gone.

Cmon Derry me needs a new pair of everything and 20 quid @4-1 will get some of it :D

kdjac

What a ****ing goal!!!!!!!!

2-1 Derry all of 56 yards out (maybe 35ish) but 56 is better.

Jesus that was some strike.

:)

kdjac

3!!!!!!!! have it!!!!

3-1 Get in Deery screamer bonus x 2

Sweet jesus that guy can shoot.

2 stonkin screamers

kdjac

Can't believe the odds they were offering on Derry. People have actually got them at 22/1 on Betfair at some point. :eek:

GET IN!!

Any links to goals?

Keep your heads lads, be smart at home and you're through....Gretna need 3 ffs!! :D

I'll hold my "And who says Eircom league isn't as good as Scottish league bar the top 3, as you all seem to rate Gretna as a top half of the table spl side" until after the second leg ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

where are ye watchin the game.Nice result if it finished like this.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Can't believe the odds they were offering on Derry. People have actually got them at 22/1 on Betfair at some point. :eek:

EL betting is mad on there, i knew they would thrash them hoping for 5 now :D

Big strong lads with class up front, won last 9ish games straight, shame we have to play them next up there ....bugger :(

kdjac

4 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sligo Man Ciaran Martyn!!!!!11

4-1

Martin

LLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement