Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gretna FC v Derry City fc - UEFA Cup Thursday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its on Setanta 1

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

there were 5.0(bit more over that aswell) at half time on befair. Certianly couldnt say no to that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Jesus, I would love to hear what the Gretna fans are saying now!

Come on number 5. Surely the most conclusive victory for an irish side away from home in Europe. Barring a disaster, Derry are in the first round proper now. A favourable draw, they are in the group stages :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

That's some result for Derry against a useful side.

gimmick wrote:
    Jesus, I would love to hear what the Gretna fans are saying now!

Probably "what time is the next bus?"

kdjac

Matched: EUR 1,168,782 on betfiar.

I say there are some very depressed, and some very happy people out there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

By the sounds of it (radio commentry) there's massive Derry support over there!

Oh, 5-1 by the way :D:D:D

No contest...If this was a boxing match, the coach would throw in the towel.

20 minutes to go...COME ON 8-1!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Good God!!!!! 5 - 1 Martyn!!!!!!!!!!!!

5!! hahahah

• Advertisement

:D

Seriously :D

then the realisation of this sets in
    SUNDAY 13 AUGUST

Derry City -v- St Pat's Ath 7.30
    The Brandywell

:(

kdjac

Thats what they get for looking to Roddy Collins for advice. Twat! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

That is some scoreline!! Come on the Derry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

After I found out Roddy was giving Gretna advice I said put money on Derry , and god was I right .

Roddy: McCourt , he's no good don't worry even if he is fit he's only an EL player like the rest of them and the EL is ****e............. , what did Roddy say in the paper about Derry losing ?

To say im delighted would be an understatement .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Matched: EUR 1,168,782 on betfiar.

I say there are some very depressed, and some very happy people out there now.
    Jesus, there aren't many markets that would have that matched in such a short space of time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Final score Gretna 1-5 Derry

Fantastic night for Derry and the Eircom League!

• Advertisement

All over

GRETNA 1-5 DERRY CITY 1945
    McGuffie 12 Kelly 22
    Deery 54, 56
    Martyn 63, 75

woot free money!

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hats off to Derry City tonight, what a great result for them and the eL.

Where are all these people on here who said Gretna would win this one?

Come on people, crawl out and admit it.

Gretna a top 5 or 6 SPL side?

If you believe that it must mean Derry City would at least match them, and Shelbourne and Cork City and maybe Drogheda?

I am delighted tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Not to forget either the Drogheda tie is still very much alive.

Im delighted i won money thats about it, still dont get this EL fan hugging thing, how can i cheer Derry then play them on sunday and want them to lose :confused:

I wanted them to win cos im poor (less poor now) and i dislike scottish football teams more than Derry :)

kdjac

Gretna 1-5 Derry City
    Gretna's European debut ended in crushing defeat as lethal Derry City all but assured their place in the first round proper of the Uefa Cup.

Ryan McGuffie gave Gretna an early lead but Darren Kelly responded for Derry as honours remained even at the interval.

But the second-half was dominated by some masterclass finishing from Derry as they beat Gretna into submission.

Both Kevin Deery and Ciaran Martyn bagged braces as the strong Irish side ran out thoroughly convincing winners.

Gretna manager Rowan Alexander retained the starting 11 responsible for the 6-0 weekend thrashing of Hamilton Accies.

Derry were minus Killian Brennan, though Kevin Deery, Gary Beckett and Stephen O'Flynn were all passed fit.

The Irish side started strongly but an error from goalkeeper David Forde let in McGuffie, whose shot fell wide.

McGuffie got it right in the 12th minute though, pouncing on Brendan McGill's header to send a low left-foot shot into the corner of the net for Gretna's first ever European goal.

Derry were back on level terms mid-way through the half when Sean Hargan collected a long ball on the left and sent in a cross for Kelly to beat Alan Main with a hanging header.

Gretna's Chris Innes was booked shortly after the break for a trip on Ciaran Martyn and from the resultant free-kick Deery blasted a superb finish into the top corner of Gretna's net.

Deery had the ball in the back of the net again two minutes later when he fired a ferocious half-volley past the helpless Main from 35 yards.

The Gretna goalkeeper was beaten again after 63 minutes when Martyn raced into the box, rounded Main and squeezed a successful shot between two defenders in the goalmouth.

Martyn then rounded off the rout with his second to virtually assure Derry's progress in the Uefa Cup and leave Gretna stunned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4775577.stm

Bear in mind on the radio BBC were saying Derry were poor and hoofing it and the fans cheering where Gretnas, Derry fans were brilliant and outnumbered Gretna.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Derry to concede 5 in the brandywell? Not gonna happen, great result, lets hope they can pull it off in the return leg and keep the 'ould co-efficent ticking and with a good draw for the next round, they could guarentee themselves a nice little pay day in the group stages and at least 4 (?) more games.

G'wan the candy stripes!! Very impressive!!

Please post links to goals if you come across any. (I'm looking in your direction Eirebhoy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mainz must be a top 3 pl team so. :D

Gwan the derry.

KdjaC wrote:
    Im delighted i won money thats about it, still dont get this EL fan hugging thing, how can i cheer Derry then play them on sunday and want them to lose :confused:

I wanted them to win cos im poor (less poor now) and i dislike scottish football teams more than Derry :)

kdjac

It's like this , lets say Pats needed Rovers/Bohs/Shels(whichever of them you dislike most) to beat another Eircom League side that isn't classed as a rival as Pats , so Pats would win the league . I assume you would cheer for Rovers/Bohs/Shels in that game, even if deep down you don't like it .

Well it's the same here , if Irish sides do well it improves the coefficiant and if Pats could get themselves into Europe they may very well find themselves seeded one day because of what other EL sides have achieved .

Not to rain on Derrys parade here, far from it, but Derry were always going to win that match (and indeed tie) comfortably. Remember, Gretna have been playing at a lower eL 1st division level (or even SL) for seasons, had a flash in the pan getting to a cup final, which they lost.

To me this doesn't prove the differences between the eL and SPL, merely highlights the ignorance of non attendees to the domestic game.

That all being said, it must be sweet to be a Candystripe tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

You wont see 5 better goals scored in a game anywhere.

Even Darren Kelly's header was brilliant.

"Very predictable" are they Roddy!!!:rolleyes:

Roddy, Roddy, whats the score!:D

gimmick wrote:
    To me this doesn't prove the differences between the eL and SPL, merely highlights the ignorance of non attendees to the domestic game.
    Exactly right, but there were people saying that Gretna were such a good team that they'd tear up the Scottish 1st Division this season, and be a top 5 team in the SPL. Now, if that is true, which I don't wish to doubt my fellow posters here, who seem to know a lot about Scottish Football, I know nothing of it. But if this is the best a supposed Top 5 SPL side can do against a Top 2 eL side, then what does it say about :

a) The SPL
    b) the people who make claims that SPL is significantly better than the eL
    gimmick wrote:
    Aren't we all candystriped for the night? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Ive never seen such a display in my life before in Europe.

The goals were amazing but the scoreline should have been much greater. Gretna were played off the pitch.

The goals should be on News 2 tonight? Watch them if you haven't seen them.

3000 Derry fans going crazy from start to finish, even when the goal went in at start. The TV box was at the same end as the Derry fans and you couldnt hear them after the match talking because of the noise of the Derry fans.

Kenny said tie was over as they have a "100% record at the Brandywell". :cool:

I thought for a long time Kenny does a lot of long range shooting and the proof was evident tonight. If all Eircom sides could score as many from long range there would 3 eircom sides still left in Europe.

Great match, Gretna were embarring.

Took the 9/2 on Derry, off to the Gambling forum to take the p*ss out of westip (must be roddy collins). :)

Big Ears wrote:
    It's like this , lets say Pats needed Rovers/Bohs/Shels(whichever of them you dislike most) to beat another Eircom League side that isn't classed as a rival as Pats , so Pats would win the league . I assume you would cheer for Rovers/Bohs/Shels in that game, even if deep down you don't like it .

Well it's the same here , if Irish sides do well it improves the coefficiant and if Pats could get themselves into Europe they may very well find themselves seeded one day because of what other EL sides have achieved .

Having been in that position 3 times, i have went for just focusing on winning our game and seeing what happens elsewhere. Even once when we needed Rovers to win, i just couldnt do it and Shels thumped them maybe theres something in that supporting your rivals thing :)

kdjac

gimmick wrote:
    Not to rain on Derrys parade here, far from it, but Derry were always going to win that match (and indeed tie) comfortably. Remember, Gretna have been playing at a lower eL 1st division level (or even SL) for seasons, had a flash in the pan getting to a cup final, which they lost.

Gretna are effectively an SPL side(well they will be next year anyway) , they have won the 3rd division 2 years ago , they won the second division last year and they started their first division campaign with a 5-1 win . From the outside they look like minnows(very poor ground , little history . They have mainly played very very low down the English divisions) but they have a very rich owner who has been prepared to buy success and Gretna have assembled a decent squad .

If they were in the SPL this year I would see them finnishing somewhere between 4th-7th . Between 4th and 7th in Scotland is the level I see Derry , Shels , Cork and Drogheda at . I thought it would be a close tie with Derry progressing and I was wrong . But by no means does this show that Gretna are only at the standard they appear at first glance(Scottish first division) , I see this win as being the same as beating Aberdeen or even Hibs(probably the 4th best side in Scotland) .

Would Derry City, Cork City, Shelbourne or the likes be expected to beat Hibs or Aberdeen 5-1 over there?

eL Football is of a much higher standard than a lot of people give it credit for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

gimmick wrote:

Exactly!

Imagine if we had big crowds at our games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

By any chance did anyone tape the game ? any chance of getting a look at those goals ? :D:D:D

By any chance did anyone tape the game ? any chance of getting a look at those goals ? :D:D:D

Be online in a few minutes or so im told, last 4 were superb.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

seansouth wrote:
    Exactly right, but there were people saying that Gretna were such a good team that they'd tear up the Scottish 1st Division this season, and be a top 5 team in the SPL. Now, if that is true, which I don't wish to doubt my fellow posters here, who seem to know a lot about Scottish Football, I know nothing of it. But if this is the best a supposed Top 5 SPL side can do against a Top 2 eL side, then what does it say about :

a) The SPL
    b) the people who make claims that SPL is significantly better than the eL

I have never heard of Gretna being in the top half of the SPL :eek: Who claimed that little gem? you believed them?

Well done to Derry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

The thread about this match on the gretna football forum is classic really cheered me up reading it

"Lads, this thread makes hilarious reading on reflection

What, in the name of god, gave you the right to act so superior....sweet"

"Wow, Scottish football must be reeeeeeally shít. You can buy your way up these ****ty little divisions against ****ty little clubs but... doesnt it all feel hollow? futile?"

Anyone got the link to the forum where the Gretna fans were slagging Derry saying they were crap? It was some scottish football forum i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

KdjaC wrote:
    Be online in a few minutes or so im told, last 4 were superb.

kdjac

cool beans! thanks kdjac :)

finnpark wrote:
    Anyone got the link to the forum where the Gretna fans were slagging Derry saying they were crap? It was some scottish football forum i think.

Try the BBC football forums(Lower Division) or generally any football forum that the game was being discussed in .(and it was mostly Scottish football fans not neccesarily Gretna ones , after all there is only 1,000-1,500 of them and most of them are new)

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=37436

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=37529

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=37462

Some of Super gretnas classics, cant find the gretna site bizmark you got a link?

kdjac

• Advertisement

Taking numbers on who wants to go to Derry for thr return leg. o far we have 10, the bloody keeper doesn't fancy it!!

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

C'mon the Candystripes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

well done derry, just dont funk it up now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

brilliant result! go on the candystripes! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Fantastic evening. Derry fans proved themselves once again as the best in the country, one hell of an atmosphere! One hell of a game! Godlike! :D

Hope they dont get Rangers in the next round. Could be trouble if they do.

Anyone got any idea of the seeded teams in next round. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

If they get Rangers, I'm going back!
    Seeded teams                   coef.     Unseeded teams                 coef.
    ------------------------ --- -------     ------------------------ --- -------
    Sevilla (TH)             Esp  61.006     Tottenham Hotspur        Eng  20.950
    Newcastle United @       Eng  75.950     West Ham United          Eng  20.950
    Panathinaikos            Gre  66.587     Dinamo Zagreb ***        Cro  20.647
    Schalke 04               Ger  64.960     Red Star Belgrade ***    Srb  20.600
    Parma                    Ita  63.020     Hearts FC ***            Sco  20.023
    Bayer Leverkusen         Ger  57.960     FC Twente Enschede @     Ned  19.640
    Feyenoord                Ned  54.640     Maccabi Haifa ***        Isr  19.108
    AJ Auxerre @             Fra  53.757     Standard Liège ***       Bel  17.981
    Club Brugge **           Bel  49.981     Sporting Braga           Por  17.533
    FC Basel *               Sui  49.537     AS Nancy Lorraine        Fra  16.757
    Olympique Marseille @    Fra  48.757     FC København ***         Den  16.593
    AZ Alkmaar               Ned  48.640     Legia Warsaw ***         Pol  16.104
    Hertha BSC @             Ger  46.960     Eintracht Frankfurt      Ger  15.960
    Sparta Praha             Cze  44.769     Vitória Setúbal          Por  15.533
    Glasgow Rangers          Sco  43.023     Nacional Funchal         Por  14.533
    Celta de Vigo            Esp  43.006     FC Groningen             Ned  13.640
    Paris Saint-Germain      Fra  41.757     FC Petrzalka *           Svk  13.070
    Lokomotiv Moscow         Rus  41.504     Iraklis Thessaloniki     Gre  12.587
    RC Lens                  Fra  39.757     Xanthi FC                Gre  12.587
    Besiktas                 Tur  38.634     Trabzonspor **           Tur  11.634
    Palermo                  Ita  36.020     Atromitos FC             Gre  10.587
    Slavia Praha **          Cze  33.769     Rubin Kazan **           Rus  10.504
    Espanyol                 Esp  33.006     Gretna FC **             Sco  10.023
    Heerenveen               Ned  30.640     Zulte Waregem            Bel   9.981
    Partizan Belgrade **     Srb  30.600     KSV Roeselare *          Bel   9.981
    Rapid Bucuresti *        Rom  30.381     Metalurg Zaporizhia **   Ukr   9.777
    Wisla Kraków **          Pol  29.104     Molde FK **              Nor   8.921
    Fenerbahçe ***           Tur  28.634     Chernomorets Odesa **    Ukr   8.777
    Austria Wien ***         Aut  27.723     Mladá Boleslav ***       Cze   8.769
    Hapoel Tel-Aviv **       Isr  26.108     Austria Salzburg ***     Aut   8.723
    Osasuna ***              Esp  25.006     Kayserispor @            Tur   8.634
    FC Lovech *              Bul  24.016     OB Odense @              Den   8.593
    Blackburn Rovers         Eng  23.950     FC Sion **               Sui   8.537
    Brøndby IF *             Den  23.593     Lokomotiv Sofia *        Bul   8.016
    Grasshoppers Zürich @    Sui  23.537     Start Kristiansand *     Nor   6.921
    Chievo Verona ***        Ita  23.020     SK Brann Bergen *        Nor   6.921
    Dinamo Bucuresti *       Rom  22.381     SV Pasching              Aut   6.723
    Livorno                  Ita  22.020     SCP Ruzomberok ***       Svk   6.070
    Spartak Moscow ***       Rus  21.504     Randers FC *             Den   5.593
    CSKA Sofia *             Bul  21.016     Rabotnicki Skopje ***    Mac   1.760

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seeduc2006.html

Obviously this is all subject to change.

Doesn't matter who they get in next round it will be extremely difficuly. Litex Lovech are easiest side. Blackburn Rovers would be a good draw for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

C'mon Derry you frickin beauties! Worth it just to laugh at those fools on the forums. A win in the second leg and the whole Eircom League benefits.

(Unbelievable) Goals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PehoWJ3xuMY

or

http://rapidshare.de/files/29006731/VID0000_EDIT0000.AVI.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement