Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Licence Recalled

Options
  • 06-08-2006 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

i was talking to a couple of lads from dublin last night. they had heard of some pistol owners being given 21 days to surrender there firearms anyone else heard this or is it just heineken talking. if there truth in it where dose it leave the rest of us:(

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Haven't heard anything, sounds like its just rumours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Besides myself, I know a few others people with pistols, and this is the first any of us have heard of anything like this. All our licences were re-issued over the last couple of weeks without any sort of comment or drama.

No harm keeping an ear to the ground, but I'd be of the opinion that this is unsubstantiated rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

I had my Glock 17 licence re-issued the day before yesterday and my FO told me that there is talk of revoking the licences.

There seems to be a huge deficit of knowledge among the Gardai of what Practical Pistol is about as he said that they were thinking of only issuing licences for target shooting guns ie .22. I told him that most people I know use 9mm, .40 or .45.

I put it to him that you would be allowed 'hold what you have' ie that there would only be an stop on new licences and he said he agreed that this was a likely scenario. He said he didn't think that they would recall all guns. He said that there hadn't been any incidents with legally held pistols and the 'boys who are causing the trouble were well able to get their hands on guns anyway'.

He did commment that alot of them seemed to prefer the Glock 17 - anyone know what type of pistols were confiscated yesterday in Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

i hope its only a rumour about the surrender of pistols, it seems not that this issue was more facilities than caliber.
    as to the caliber restrictions it appears to be the case that you need a specific reason to own the firearm and in in your sport IPSC it has to to be centrefire and 9mm or above. so even if the caliber goses on restricted listed it can still be legaly got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Sounds like another "noise maker" rumour put out by the Gardai to scare the bejasus out of everyone.Like the military calibre issue .Remember the gaurds and DOJ were/are poor losers and anything to make life difficult/miserable for us shooters is fair game.Confirm always with two sources to see if the rumour is true.
    As for the Glock being used alot by gangstas here.Somwhere in Europe there must be a sh%tload of them gone missing somwhere for them to show up in Irish criminal hands or there is a hell of deact reacting going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Sounds like another "noise maker" rumour put out by the Gardai to scare the bejasus out of everyone

I dunno about that, my FO is about as pro-gun as it is possible for someone in his situation to be so I don't think he'd be spinning a load of BS.
    Confirm always with two sources to see if the rumour is true.

We had this "rumour" from a lot more than two sources at this stage.
    Remember the gaurds and DOJ were/are poor losers and anything to make life difficult/miserable for us shooters is fair game.

DOJ maybe, and McDowell is exactly the kind of childish individual who would take it personal (as he has done repeatedly with other issues - for eg. refusal of planning permission, striking down of law on statutory rape etc) but in my experience the guards have no problem with law abiding gun owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Folks, im sorry to say, but its true.
    I wont go into details on here, but all i can say is, its hapening.
    Keelan.

Chipboard wrote:
    I dunno about that, my FO is about as pro-gun as it is possible for someone in his situation to be so I don't think he'd be spinning a load of BS.

Not trying to be awkward here,but it could be possible that he is repeating somthing that he heard,from somone else,who got it from somone else as well.
    We had this "rumour" from a lot more than two sources at this stage

Who ??A source that is quoteable is what we need.
    DOJ maybe, and McDowell is exactly the kind of childish individual who would take it personal (as he has done repeatedly with other issues - for eg. refusal of planning permission, striking down of law on statutory rape etc) but in my experience the guards have no problem with law abiding gun owner.
    Maybe the Gaurds themselves haven't a problem,but it is your Supers mindset that counts in the end.

Also,is it possible that these lads who are orderd to hand their stuff back in 21 days ,is there possibly more to the story than we are aware of?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Keelan wrote:
    Folks, im sorry to say, but its true.
    I wont go into details on here, but all i can say is, its hapening.
    Keelan.

How very cryptic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I have heard that if someone previously obtained a licence on the basis of membership of a club, and the club has a lack of facilities such as a range, then they will have difficulties renewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

It's has been attempted in one district only. Dont worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gtinv

I ahve spoken to an informed source in the last week who has advised that this is all a runour, but there is an amnesty coming about where all guns are to be handed in up to , I think September 06, maybe this is nothing to do with the amnesty but feel it may well be allied to it.

Needs to be sorted in case the Political monguls are seeking to set up a situation of panic and water it down at some last minute but yet yield some return of pistols.

There is some truth to the rumour. One Super in one area tried to revoke pistol licences. Its effecting a handfull of pistol owners and there is on going legal action about it so its probably not wise to go in to depth on it. Its an isolated incident and thats whats important to keep in mind.

Hmm,well if this is true,off to our solicitors we should go,to see about compensation for loss of personal property to the State.Lets add a couple of million more to the taxpayers bill of govt/garda incompetance on the firearms issue.:rolleyes: :mad:

Its an isolated incident in one small area effecting a handfull of people who are already sorting out so lets not blow it up in to more then it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Its true, it has started.

I have had 2 officers leave my premisses this AM. They turned up witout notice at 7 am this morning, to check my security arrangements for my .223.:confused:
    I showed them my safe and how i stored the bolt in another safe in another part of the house. They were impressed with that, but not impressed that i dont have an alarm.:rolleyes:
    Eircom phone watch was advised and now i have to fork out 1800 Euro to get it set up, or i will have my cert revoked.:eek:
    WATCH OUT FOLKS!!!!!
    Keelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 conce452

I have talked to many people in the wicklow area who have been given 21 days to hand in pistols. According to a letter sent to all pistol licence holders in the wicklow area that are under Superintendent Roche a new Firearms Certificates will not be issued until ranges are inspected and passed.

This is part of the new CJB that has not been brought into law yet. It seems that an inspector in wicklow town has sent out letters to anyone that holds a pistol within his juristiction. Most people are refusing to hand in pistols because a FAC can only be revoked by a superintendent and this letter is from an inspector. Also he quotes the 1925 Firearms act in his letter. In this act there is nothing about range inspections for firearms licence holders only inspections for ranges where non firearms licence people are shooting, therefore his point is invalid. I am told that sevral individuals have sought legal advice and the NARGC are already on the case. Anyone else heard anything???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

conce452 wrote:
    This is part of the new CJB that has not been brought into law yet. It seems that an inspector in wicklow town has sent out letters to anyone that holds a pistol within his juristiction. Most people are refusing to hand in pistols because a FAC can only be revoked by a superintendent and this letter is from an inspector. Also he quotes the 1925 Firearms act in his letter. In this act there is nothing about range inspections for firearms licence holders only inspections for ranges where non firearms licence people are shooting, therefore his point is invalid. I am told that sevral individuals have sought legal advice and the NARGC are already on the case. Anyone else heard anything???

I can say something that is 100% true, this thread is giving me pains. I may start my own rumour just to show how much of a joke the sport of shooting in this country is turning out to be and management level in the Gardai are playing a huge part in the f*&k up.

conce452 wrote:
    I have talked to many people in the wicklow area who have been given 21 days to hand in pistols. According to a letter sent to all pistol licence holders in the wicklow area that are under Superintendent Roche a new Firearms Certificates will not be issued until ranges are inspected and passed.

Well,there we have it.Gardai jumping the gun again,exceeding their authorithy,bothering liscensed shooters etc.This then becomes fact on the grapevine and before long everyone is panicing.It just shows confirm all rumours you hear.Otherwise crush them at once.
    Dunno about you folks,but methinks that the time is a coming that the Garda Siochanna is due a total root&branch overhaul.The whole thing is becoming more rotten and incompetant and shown to be so every other day.And their own actions just show it even more. They claim to police with the consent of the Irish people,I really wonder for how much longer the Irish people will consent to be policed by a corrupt rotten,antique police force???I feel sorry for those good men that are there,but are let down by their leadership,or by bent coppers in their own ranks.But this is becoming more of a sick joke every other day.:mad:

Point of Information:

This is one district so lets not tar them all with the same brush

My local garda has bent over backwards to help me with my applications and process. He fully supports target shooting, and has been very helpful in all my dealings with him

Same goes for the Super in the club I deal with. He has always helped in any paperwork problem, and is really interested in the sport.

As for confirmation: until i hear from a source like CivDef, Sparks etc.. and I hear the whole story, no direct comments will be passed by me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

What district is that?

Wexford and South Dublin

i take it dublin is college ill be moving to cork this year for college and will be staying there during the week and home the od weekend. If the super there turns out to be more gun friendly would it be possible for me to apply for a shotgun licence down there but still keep it at home in kilkenny

No. You apply where you are a permanent resident so unless you move full time, you have to apply in the district of your home address

Well technically it would be full time as id be living there more than at "home" but i take it the guards dont see it like that.

I was in the same situation, and I was told to make the ap in wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

Looking at the new legislation it is clear the once a Superintendent refuses a firearms application or refuses to rewnew a certificate for what ever reason it is open to the aggrieved person to go directly to the district court, this is effective since August 1st, so where is the problem, failure to renew, go to the district court, it must be done within 30 days of the notification not to renw the certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Anyone know how many pistol licenses have been issued this year?
    Guarda FO from district next to mine was saying he's issued a phenominal amout of them and there's been loads of interest from people who never shot before. He didn't give numbers.

He didn't see it as a 'problem' at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

That's one bit that worries me, why are people who've never shot before suddenly interested in getting pistols? In my eyes at least, that group would contain a fair proportion of walters and messers, who should be carefully looked at. I think there's a lot to be said for a concept that a person should progress through a hierarchy of firearms types before being allowed hold stuff like pistols or bigger rifles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

I was recently talking to one of Walther's reps in Ireland, he told me that several gun shops that he deals with had reported an increase in weirdos coming in looking for handguns. One dealer said that they had 'the look of Dunblaine' about them.

Advertisement