Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seal in the Liffey

Options
  • 06-08-2006 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

I was waslking past the Liffey yesterday evening - just outside the Dublin Corporation building and the gf noticed something in the water - turned out to be a baby seal swimming around and hunting fish.

Quite unusual - any one got any ideas why in the hell a seal would be in the Liffey - or should I even report it to any organisation?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Its not that unusual I have seen seals in the Liffey on a number of occasions,although never that far up the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

You'll certainly see them around Dublin Bay. I've seen them right inside the piers in Dún Laoghaire a few times and out in Howth. So it wouldn't be that unusual to see them in the Liffey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

There are fish in the liffey?? :eek:

Can't stop thinking of that three eye'd orange fish in the simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Flukey wrote:
    You'll certainly see them around Dublin Bay. I've seen them right inside the piers in Dún Laoghaire a few times and out in Howth. So it wouldn't be that unusual to see them in the Liffey.

That's true. Huge bastards they are aswell. They have a tendency to go inside the piers because they get, or used to get, free meals from people fecking fish off the sides of the yokes.

There's fish in that river that runs through Cork City so I'm not at all surprised that there's some in the Liffey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Liffey is not as bad as most city rivers,I remember seen the Hudson (NYC) a few years ago.Now that was a river I would not like to fall into,you actually expect to see a body floating by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It's not uncommon to see seals in the Liffey. I remember years ago when one climbed onto the steps at the Customs House. It spent a few hours bleating away; passers-by thought it was in distress and called the Fire Brigade. The lads from the DFB pushed it into the water but the seal just climbed back onto the steps with a disgusted series of bleats... lovely animals :)

I had my camcorder with me when seeing some in Howth a few years ago. Here are some stills I got off of the footage I took:
    HowthSeal.jpg

I got this of one in Dún Laoghaire, of one wiping its face.
    Seal2b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dub13 wrote:
    I remember seen the Hudson (NYC) a few years ago.Now that was a river I would not like to fall into,you actually expect to see a body floating by.

Not a patch on the Ganges at Varanasi :eek:

Advertisement