Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPDATES on police dog SAXON

Options
  • 06-08-2006 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Caroline, wife to Mike Townsley, the dog handler and best buddy of SAXON, just rang me and asked me to distribute the latest news on the case:

HELP
    >
    > SAXONS FATE IS TO BE TOLD TOMORROW
    >
    > Dear All,
    > Firstly my sincere apologies for this impersonal E mail but as you will
    > understand - we are up to our necks in this matter.
    >
    Ø UPDATE;
    Ø
    > Mike has been summoned ! to the Police Federation office at New Inn,
    > Pontypool Gwent at 3 PM Monday 7th August.
    > Here he is to be TOLD the decision made by Gwent Police as to Saxons fate.
    >
    > Mike has had information from a trusted source that the powers to be are
    > to sell Saxon to the Prison Service and that he is to become a Prison Dog!
    > We thank everyone for their help in SAVING SAXONS LIFE, but it does not
    > end here...
    >
    > HOWEVER;
    >
    > Prison Dogs have to be assessed and pass the SAME Home Office assessment
    > as that of a Police Dog with the exception of Tracking.
    >
    > This therefore begs numerous questions as to the Forces integrity
    > intentions and past statements with regards to Saxon.
    >
    > The most pertinent one being; If his license has been withdrawn and not to
    > be re-issued as a Police Dog how then can this 'dangerous dog' be licensed
    > with the Prison Service?
    >
    > Saxon will be expected to adapt to another handler, however it takes time
    > to know him and what makes him tick.
    > There is no guarantee that will in fact be 'acceptable' in Saxon's mind,
    > as no - one can take Mikes place in his eyes. Of that I'm certain and that
    > is what makes Saxon so unique. Mike and Sax have formed a strong and
    > absolute 'bond', which I feel quite certain that perhaps allot of married couples
    > never aspire to?
    >
    > Mike learnt the hard way, during the first year - and paid the price by
    > being bitten by him on his thumb
    > MY PERSONAL BELIEF in Sax is unmeasurable and beyond words..... What if
    > this VERY REALISTIC REALITY were to happen again as his new handler was
    > learning Saxon's unique ways?
    >
    > Then Saxon would be once again on death row for no reason at all - other
    > than people not understanding him.
    > This surely appears to be 'perhaps' irresponsible on behalf of the Police
    > Force in my opinion. (Some may PERHAPS GO AS FAR TO SUGGEST CRIMINAL?) What
    > health and safety issues and risk assessment has been done in this regard?
    >
    > We, as a family, have offered and fought Saxons corner for him to retire
    > here at home with us where his future is one of sofas, fireplaces, 18 1/2
    > acres of secure playground, care, protection, and GENUINE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE
    > for who he is and WHAT he has done FOR US ALL.
    >
    > The only reason One can think is that the Gwent Force have decided to
    > place him with the Prison Service which is one of pure vindictiveness, jealousy
    > and absolute cowardice against Mike. SHAME ON YOU.
    >
    > Police Dog Kye was recently saved from death row and is now living at home
    > with his handler.
    > Police Dog Baz retired with his handler.
    > Police dog Fitz retired with his handler.
    > Police Dog Shadow retired and lived with his handler
    > Police Dog Jake retired and lived with his handler
    >
    > The list goes on and on, Do I need to say any more.
    >
    > Believe you me the WHOLE story will come out, however we have to be
    > careful as to how much we release at this point on the advise of our legal team.
    >
    > Many thanks for bearing with us, the truth once released will astound you
    > all (of that I have absolutely no doubt).
    >
    > People will argue that we only want Saxon to further our Business
    > interest, to use him as a stud?
    > Fine well let them, yes we do breed and supply dogs for a wide range of
    > tasks from Police dogs to family pets.
    >
    > We have been open and upfront about the whole issue, all the way through
    > this AND WITH CONSENT FROM GWENT POLICE THEMSELVES; who have given our
    > business consent over five / six years ago. (What an irony I'm left thinking.)
    >
    > We are prepared (and always have been) to offer SAXON a good SAFE home
    > life, where he is with the one person who he admires, loves and is totally
    > committed to.
    >
    > Gwent Polices 'unofficial' and 'covert' tactics are sadly nothing new to
    > me
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > How you can help.
    >
    > We need as many EXPERTS ( legal,Dog World,Media) as possible, to accompany
    > me to this meeting so that we all can make representations as to our
    > concerns over Saxons fate, and in order that Saxon resumes his rightful place at
    > home with a good HARD WORKING AND COMMITTED man and his family he
    > implicitly respects, trusts and loves UNCONDITIONALLY.
    >
    >
    > PLEASE HELP US SAVE OUR SAXON.
    >
    > Many Thanks, to every one that has helped our transparent reason for this
    > campaign and I feel perhaps the Police' seemingly ridiculous behaviour can
    > begin to be seen (by the Public.) THIS 'RIDICULOUS BEHAVIOUR APPEARS MORE
    > AND MORE TRANSPARENT THROUGHOUT THIS WHOLE IMMORAL VENDETTA.
    >
    > So much for 'CERTAIN caring men', WHO, AS TAX PAYERS HOLD ACCOUNTABILITY
    > TO EVERY ONE OF US.
    >
    > The meeting will take place at the Police Federation Office at 9 THE
    > HIGHWAY, NEW INN, PONTYPOOL GWENT NP4 OPW
    > Telephone 01633 642299.
    >
    > My name is Caroline and I will be representing Mike at this 'fast -tracked
    > meeting', which Mike was 'invited' to attend tomorrow. Short notification
    > I know - but this 'agenda' was clearly planned prior AND WAS NOT KNOWN TO
    > OURSELVES UNTIL FRIDAY at 1pm?
    >
    > MY APOLOGIES FOR THIS FACT,
    >
    > I cannot thank -you enough for the kindness shown. I look forward to
    > meeting you there, and ask that you can reply to this mail and also FORWARD IT
    > ON to as many EXPERTS and interested paries as possible.
    >
    > Caroline Townley.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

This is very interesting indeed. Although, to let the truth be told, I'm just as interested in this line here:

> Believe you me the WHOLE story will come out, however we have to be
    > careful as to how much we release at this point on the advise of our legal team.
    >
    > Many thanks for bearing with us, the truth once released will astound you
    > all (of that I have absolutely no doubt).

This whole "vendetta" thing that the police apparently have against them is quite intriguing to say the least. I'd love to hear the full story behind all of this and also why other dogs were allowed to retire with their owners, or more specifically, why Saxon failed when others passed.

In the original thread that TJ made, the thing claimed that Saxon was "not a danger" but in this e-mail, they say he bit his owner, in this paragraph here:
    > Mike learnt the hard way, during the first year - and paid the price by
    > being bitten by him on his thumb
    > MY PERSONAL BELIEF in Sax is unmeasurable and beyond words..... What if
    > this VERY REALISTIC REALITY were to happen again as his new handler was
    > learning Saxon's unique ways?
    >
    > Then Saxon would be once again on death row for no reason at all - other
    > than people not understanding him.
    > This surely appears to be 'perhaps' irresponsible on behalf of the Police
    > Force in my opinion. (Some may PERHAPS GO AS FAR TO SUGGEST CRIMINAL?) What
    > health and safety issues and risk assessment has been done in this regard?

There's a notable lack of consistancy in their argument here and that's just one of the things that doesn't add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Rubbish - internal bullying and vindictive attitudes and practices are a feature of police life. Usually inspired by simple jealousy this effect can snowball to unreal proportions.
    I have no doubt that poor Saxon is only being used as a method for the powers that be at Gwent police to get to his handler.

They should be ashamed of themselves.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its sad alright to see the poor dog getting a raw deal considering all his service.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am familiar with the brutal regime these dogs have to go through to be a *police* dog. Most methods are positively medieval and should have no place in modern day training. That these dogs are highly strung and tend to react overly rash when being wrongly handled is no wonder and harsh reality.

This article is from 2000 but NOTHING has changed since:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/wales/661376.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Issued statement by Caroline Townley:

As you will be aware Mike was summoned to attend at a meeting today at 3pm, where he was to be told Saxons fate.

Prior to this whole issue coming into the Public domain, Saxons fate had already been decided by the management in charge of the Dog Section that he was to be destroyed.

This decision was relayed third hand to Mike by his work colleagues, it having been made general knowledge to other members of the Gwent Dog Section during a meeting on Friday 14th July.

Prior to this, Mike had made it known to the management that he and his family were quite prepared to offer Saxon a home for the rest of his life.

Following the issue going into the Public domain Gwent Police then made various statements regarding Saxon.

Quote ‘Saxon has been denied a license on the grounds that he is unsafe to work with and his future is currently under consideration. However an independent assessment of whether or not he presents an unacceptable risk is being arranged and will be completed before any decision is taken’

This Official statement is clearly untrue, the decision had already been made prior to the 14th July that he was to be destroyed and because the issue had entered the public arena Gwent Police were forced to issue a statement to which now they must be held accountable.

As far as we are aware NO independent assessment has been done as promised.

Mike has been dreading today, he is already ill due to the stress of it all and just could not face hearing Saxons fate.

Therefore he made a written declaration authorising me, as his WIFE, to represent him at this meeting and be told the decision that had now been made, so that I in turn could tell Mike at home.

I had information from a trusted source that Gwent Police intended to sell Saxon to the Prison Service and this information was released on various e-mails and forums across the Internet.

This information was also common knowledge within the Force, however the ploy to get Mike to this meeting was in their words ‘ to make sure he is the first to know what the decision on Saxon is’

At 3 PM today I went to the meeting location at the Federation Office at Pontypool as arranged on Friday 4th August at around 1pm.

Here I met Chief Inspector Parfitt who had with him a female from the Gwent Police press office!

I informed the Chief Inspector that I was here as my husband’s representative and showed him and the press officer his written letter giving me his permission to be told the decision on Saxon.

Neither the Chief Inspector nor the Press officer would divulge any information to myself regarding Saxons fate.

Unbelievably I and other members of my family were asked to leave the premises by Chief Inspector Parfitt!

We did so and were followed out by the Inspector who then got into his car and drove off!

I then went to Police Headquarters where a meeting was held with the same press officer and another male press officer.

This meeting was tape recorded by myself and during the meeting no information was given as to Saxons future.

Strangely NO SENIOR POLICE officer was available to speak with us as was requested at the time.

During this meeting, representatives for Saxon made an offer to purchase him privately along with other key issues revolving around his future were raised.

Gwent Police listened to everything that was said but adamantly refused in any way to divulge any information as to Saxons future.

I again showed them the written authority from my husband and tried to explain that he was in no fit state to attend and preferred to hear the news from me

The meeting ended with the following points.

¨ No further information was given as to Saxons fate.

¨ No Senior Police Officer was available at POLICE HEADQUARTERS

¨ The press officers gave assurances to all concerned that they would contact us as soon as they had gained confirmation as to our proposals.

The future remains UNKNOWN

Caroline Townley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

They should get onto Sky news and a few newspapers, I'm sure if it gets into the public eye in a big way it can only mean the dogs life will be spared. I doubt the Police need any more bad press.

Well, the dog will live - that much they have achieved. BUT only yesterday they have been promissed at a hearing that the police will assess all comments and will come to a final decision as to what to do with SAXON.
    The future remains UNKNOWN wrote Caroline Townley in her statement.

Got this from Mike Townley YESTERDAY evening arounf 10p.m:

"Just this minute heard from the press of all people that Saxon is to be
    assessed tomorrow and then go to the prison service!
    So much for their promises today to the people who attended!
    Words fail me now

Take care

Mike"

So, Saxon goes to Prison Service and the police gives a **** about all the recommendations. I myself contacted a lot of media in Wales and asked for help. They never replied to me and I don´t know if they bothered going to the meeting yesterday or at least ask questions.

ISSUED BY GWENT POLICE

SAXON - PRESS STATEMENT

A great deal of public interest has been shown in the future of the

police dog, Saxon, which has recently been withdrawn from operational

duties as a result of concerns about its temperament.

Saxon will be assessed tomorrow, Tuesday 8th August, by HM Prison

Service with a view to his working with them in the future.

Such a move would enable Saxon to continue to use training and skills

acquired as a police dog in a more closely controlled environment

where access to the general public is restricted. This would be a

positive outcome since our priority has always been to ensure the safety of the public.

Posted 7th August, 2006

SAXON - PRESS STATEMENT

Posted 8th August, 2006

Saxon was assessed by HM Prison Service earlier today who concluded that he is ‘not suitable as a potential prison patrol dog.’

Gwent Police will now review the situation and explore other options for Saxon’s future.

He is currently being cared for at police kennels alongside other police dogs receiving the same high standards of care and exercise.

www.saveoursaxon.co.uk for the latest of the case.

• Advertisement

The case is ongoing and there seems to be no end in sight. Saxon gets big support in the states and I think we should maybe do the same here. Why not try and get more petitions signed on the streets of Dublin and hopefully Galway (Sarah, are you up for it?). Who is with us, please drop me an email:t.janak@gmx.de

The attached image is of Mike Townley and "his" dog Saxon!

I have PM'd you, Thomas.

Sarah

Advertisement