Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unreal Problem

• 06-08-2006 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

I tried starting Unreal Tournament 2004 today and i got this error message:

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-03-03_02.42]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 3395 MHz with 2047MB RAM
    Video: RADEON X600 Series (6553)

General protection fault!

History: UD3DRenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

I reinstalled but that didnt help. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

More information on your system spec's might help (video card, drivers, max. res, etc.)
    It's been so long since I played UT,but: Have you tried editing the .ini (Or was there an option to start with software rendering..?). Failing that, delete the .ini before re-installing or else it's pretty much pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

What exactly is the .ini and ill try edit it !!!! The graphics card is an ATI RADEON X600. What really annoys me is that it was working for ages but then when I tried it the other day it just wouldnt !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

cooperguy wrote:
    What exactly is the .ini and ill try edit it !!!! The graphics card is an ATI RADEON X600. What really annoys me is that it was working for ages but then when I tried it the other day it just wouldnt !!!

Did you (or windows) download any driver updates for your X600 ?

Blitz wrote:
    Did you (or windows) download any driver updates for your X600 ?
    I dont think so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

cooperguy wrote:
    I dont think so no.

Try update your graphics card drivers and see if it makes a difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

is the card overclocked at all?

Seem to remember i had a problem like this with my oc'd 5900xt.

weemcd wrote:
    is the card overclocked at all?

Seem to remember i had a problem like this with my oc'd 5900xt.
    No its just a standard card I didnt overclock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

[installationDir]\System\UnrealTournament.ini
    TBH, I had to google that. There are some examples available via google. Damned if I can remember anything. I've suggested a move/link to games forum where people who know what they're doing can help out.
    Meanwhile, could you run dxdiag (Start->run-> dxdiag) and provide a bit more information on what drivers you're using as it might help.

Alternatively, .zip the .ini and move it somewhere safe. Uninstall the game. Manually delete the .ini (config.) files. Reboot. Re-install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Its (install dir)\System\UT2004.ini for system settings, \User.ini for user settings.

Patch Ut2k4 to the current version (3369), get the latest video drivers as suggested and make sure you have the latest release of Direct X 9.0c.

UT2k4 should work for you out of the box but you may aswell do the above to have everything remotely related to the problem cleaned and up to date.

If you're still stuck try OpenGL mode. Open the UT2004.ini file and locate:

[Engine.Engine]
    RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
    put a ; in fron of it ( ;RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice )
    And then add the following to a new line below the one you just rem'd out.
    RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

Save the file and start up UT2k4

Advertisement