Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleadh 2006

Options
  • 06-08-2006 5:47pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

So, it's not long now until Fleadh 2006 comes to Letterkenny. Commencing Sunday 20th right through to Sunday 27th.

Anyone looking forward to the event, or hoping to go?

Discuss here! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Ill be drinking on the streets anyway, about the height of my involvement..

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, that's the whole point isn't it? :D

I hope the weather isn't as bad as last year, though the Saturday I was boozing the weather was grand.

I think the Letterkenny Council are changing the laws regarding chip-vans being allowed to park on the main street. From what I can gather, the chip vans have to be on other adjoining streets? Dunno if this law will be implemented before Fleadh.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im hoping to get over to it on one of the mid-week nights when its a wee bit quiter but hopefully still plenty of craic around

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tall Tom

So what is the festival about?

byte

It's a national Fleadh Cheoil event, traditional Irish stuff.

Oh, and mass drinking on the streets! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Its like irish dancing competitions, Irish musical instrument competitions that sort of craic

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are there any days better than others? I will be up that way on Thursday 24th and Friday 25th. Will it be practically over by then?

byte

No, it should still be in full swing! :)

The weekend near the end seems the best to me.

Only problem I found last year was traffic. This year when on my way home from work during the Fleadh week, I hope to approach the town from a backroad instead of via Dry Arch roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

byte wrote:
    No, it should still be in full swing! :)

The weekend near the end seems the best to me.

Only problem I found last year was traffic. This year when on my way home from work during the Fleadh week, I hope to approach the town from a backroad instead of via Dry Arch roundabout.

Thanks byte. Is it possible to drive near the town or is it all park and ride. I need to get to the other side. Will I be able to go up the road beside Oatfields sweets and up by Slieve Sneacht(?) estate to the Glencar area?

byte

Aye, it should be. I live up Glencar also, and was able to do so last year.

I had to drive around by Mt Errigal Hotel, and then round by Oatfield roundabout, before proceeding up the hill and on towards Glencar.

IIRC, Port Road was closed. And High Road that now has Mr Chippy Gold that leads onto Main St I think is closed also, with the exception of Emergency Services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dun na nGal

tell ya where i won't be goin anyway and that's .......................................

Edit: Thats a complete rant about a particular establishment and has nothing whatsoever to do with the fleadh.

muffle
    r

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i will be there, missed it last year. have loads of mates comin in for it and will be on the streets friday, saturday and sunday.

look for the blonde guy in shorts and his festival hat

byte

Hopefully it won't rain like last year (though the Saturday last year was OK weather wise).

Otherwise you won't look too good in your shorts and hat! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nmg-lky

So is there anyone on here going to visit Letterkenny this weekend for the Fleadh? Last year was excellent, huge street party for fri sat & sun. Even though i'm not into traditional music i had a ball. It's weel worth the visit:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JackG

Went out last night for the experience to a couple of Bars. Not packed out but a good buzz all around the town. Expect it to busier over the weekend.

byte

I'll probably head down to the town centre on Saturday afternoon, and check out the buzz (and have a few beers naturally :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

it would seem that licencing laws are thrown out the window during the fleadh, the amount of under aged drinkers and there damn music is a complete buzz wrecker.

/my two cents.

jimmeh wrote:
    it would seem that licencing laws are thrown out the window during the fleadh
    And I always thought that was the normal weekend in towns around the County ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Thanks for reminding me it's --- Stay away from Letterkenny weekend !!:)

byte

Well, at least I got home in normal time on Friday evening! I took the left turn up past Drumkeen which took me out at Oldtown and there was less traffic there.

I was down in the town for the Fleadh yesterday evening, and I must say that I thought it was quieter than last year. Can't say I had the same "craic" as last year, though perhaps the weather didn't help much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I wasnt here for it last year, but i thought it wasn't as busy as people made it out to be. Tempted to take a spin down this evening again but i'm broke/tired /and working in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 PAIMEI

Hello All, looking for some help and ye people seem to be fairly well up on Letterkenny, I was at the Fleadh on sat and sun and myself and a mate and I were playing some music in the street, a good few official looking photographers (dudes with big zoom lens cameras, not the average punters gear) took photos of us and I'd love to get some copies of the photos. Problem is I didnt get a chance to get any names or numbers. So just a shot in the dark but would any of ye have any suggestions on how to track down some photos. I've searched some local papers websites wothout luck..

byte

Hmm, could be any of the press, even national press may have been there to take snaps.

Locally, you may have been in the Donegal People's Press/Donegal Democrat, or perhaps the free tabloid, Letterkenny Post. Not sure how fancy the cameras used by the local press are though! :)

Just to add another couple of local papers:

Derry People and Donegal News
    Inish Times
    Finn Valley Voice

Not sure of contact phone no's but a quick look through the directory should yield results

Advertisement