Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

operator logo

• 06-08-2006 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

hey, the other day when the vodafone ntwrk was on the blink my operator logo changed from vodafone to VF[] its really weird. thought i was the only one it happened to but my brother in laws phone is the same xcept his says VF1....anyone else have the same effect?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

My cousins friends phone displays the same thing, I asked him why it was like that, he said it happened ever since his phone got wet and had to be dried out, basically ever since it has glitched. I also discovered why you cannot use Op logos on the 3 network.

3 and Voda set their SIMs to override the phones op logo (both user defined logos and those "text" logos that phones normaly show). The default logo for Vodafone is:
    vodafone IE or IRL vodafone. Voda replaces this with "Vodafone IE" and on the 6680 3G phones "Vodafone - Ireland".

The default logo for 3 is:
    IRL 05/272 05 (older phones) and 3 IRL (newer phones). 3 replaces this with "3". 3 also replace the logo for Vodafone with "3" as well to avoid possible customer confusion when roaming onto Vodafone.

But you cannot edit (not that I know of anyway) the default logos on the SIM, nor can you stop the SIM overriding the phone (not that I know of anyway) so for phones sold on Voda and 3, you cant have a custom Op logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya my phone (v3x) actually shows a picture of the 3 logo but a friend of mine who's also on 3 has some sony erikson but it says 3 in text not as a picture

With Vodafone the name is actually broadcast over the GPRS network and only Nokia phones can receive it. Most Series 40 phones show the short name "VFI" (or in buggy firmware VF□) while Series 60 phones show the long name which is "Vodafone-Ireland" In Vodafone's case, the logo will change the first time you access the GPRS network in any way. The only way to revert it is to restore the phone to factory settings but it will happen again next time GPRS is used.

The logos can also be set on the SIM, for example Meteor put it in as "Meteor" but the phones all have it as "METEOR". But this has nothing to do with 3 - they simply force the phone to always show the 3 logo - usually requiring a firmware debrand. Vodafone phones will take a custom oplogo - I know because my brother has one on his 6230i - a blank one!

Karsini wrote:
    With Vodafone the name is actually broadcast over the GPRS network and only Nokia phones can receive it. Most Series 40 phones show the short name "VFI" (or in buggy firmware VF□) while Series 60 phones show the long name which is "Vodafone-Ireland" In Vodafone's case, the logo will change the first time you access the GPRS network in any way. The only way to revert it is to restore the phone to factory settings but it will happen again next time GPRS is used.

The logos can also be set on the SIM, for example Meteor put it in as "Meteor" but the phones all have it as "METEOR". But this has nothing to do with 3 - they simply force the phone to always show the 3 logo - usually requiring a firmware debrand. Vodafone phones will take a custom oplogo - I know because my brother has one on his 6230i - a blank one!

I think your wrong there, Voda doesnt send anything like that over the GPRS network, but they can update the software on the SIM over the network. "Standard" phones will show Vodafone IE as stored on the SIM. If that data gets corrupted some how, then it will display as VFI or VF[] depending on the SIM. If what you say is true, then surely it will go back to normal when you reconnect to GPRS. But I have never known this to happen, but your guess is as good as mine *shrugs*

You are wrong about 3 though, they dont display a logo as such on their Nokia Series 60 phones. I have one, a 6680. I couldnt set an Op Logo when I was using their branded firmware. I got the phone reflashed with the newer, generic nokia software (not branded) and their is no change. The SIM stores its own network list, just like Voda and Meteors. And this list overrides the phones, so the phone displays whats on the SIM i.e. 3 instead of whats on the phone i.e. 3 IRL or Vodafone IE. But when using FExplorer, I can see the Short names as seen by the phone. Debranding the 3 Firmware wont change a thing on Series 60 phones, however it may work on non-nokias, I havent heard much on it though. And I have not tried setting logos on Voda branded 6680s either, so I dont know if the Voda sim is less restrictive or if its the software. I will know when I managed to get my handset unlocked as I can test other SIMs. But for now, I can say with certaintly, you cannot set an Op logo on a 6680 with a 3 SIM.

The VFI and Vodafone-Ireland logos certainly are broadcast over the GPRS network. This can be confirmed by defaulting a Nokia series 40 phone and restarting it, the logo will revert to vodafone IE. If you never connect to GPRS or send/receive an MMS message it will remain at vodafone IE.
    Now connect to Vodafone live or enable the "Always online" or "When available" option in the Connectivity settings. The logo will immediately change to VFI when the "G" appears in the corner. Same applies to series 60, only it will change to "Vodafone-Ireland" These override the SIM logo and will remain until the phone is defaulted to factory settings and rebooted. The VF(box) is a firmware bug in the Nokia series 40 phones, in patched versions it will display VFI. Nothing to do with corrupt data.

I won't argue about 3 - don't know anything about their series 60 branding, but I know the Motorola E1000 shows a 3 graphic rather than an operator logo and that would probably require a debrand to remove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Karsini wrote:
    The VFI and Vodafone-Ireland logos certainly are broadcast over the GPRS network. This can be confirmed by defaulting a Nokia series 40 phone and restarting it, the logo will revert to vodafone IE. If you never connect to GPRS or send/receive an MMS message it will remain at vodafone IE.
    Now connect to Vodafone live or enable the "Always online" or "When available" option in the Connectivity settings. The logo will immediately change to VFI when the "G" appears in the corner. Same applies to series 60, only it will change to "Vodafone-Ireland" These override the SIM logo and will remain until the phone is defaulted to factory settings and rebooted. The VF(box) is a firmware bug in the Nokia series 40 phones, in patched versions it will display VFI. Nothing to do with corrupt data.

I won't argue about 3 - don't know anything about their series 60 branding, but I know the Motorola E1000 shows a 3 graphic rather than an operator logo and that would probably require a debrand to remove.

yes it seems that motorola phones from 3 show a 3 graphic and the other phones (from what ive seen though i havent seen all of them) only show 3 in txt

Karsini wrote:
    Well I will take your word for it, I dont own a voda handset and I know noone who owns a series 40 phone, let alone a vodafone one. I do know someone with a 3200 that started showing VF[]. I wouldnt mind if O2 and 3 did something similar. I would certainly prefer 3 Ireland to just "3" and O2 Ireland instead of "O2 - IRL".

God boards is slow for me today. :(

The 3200 is an early series 40 model I think. I know the more recent ones like the 6280 have a rather series 60-ish interface but IIRC models such as the 3200, 3220 and 6230/6230i are earlier series 40 ones. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I remember hearing a few forum members say their Meteor phones changed to displaying "Meteor Mobile" for a while, this probably would have been implemented in the same way but its been stopped now.

Boards has been painfully slow for as long as I have been a member *sighs*

The Nokia 3200 isnt a Symbian phone, it ran the same software as the 3510i (the colour screen version), it wasnt a terribly good phone, and I had it for less than 6 months before I bought a SE T630.

The only irritating issue with networks that whos SIMs override the phones internal network names with its own, especially the Symbian ones, is that it doesnt seem possible to set Op Logos. I cannot set one on my phone while I am on the 3 or Vodafone IE network.

The 3510i actually is a Series 40 phone (1st edition), though not Symbian, only Series 60 qualifies as Symbian of course.

The 6230 is Series 40 2nd edition:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/6230

while the 6280 is Series 40 3rd edition:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/6280

Odd since they're all quite different. I'm not aware of the issues with operator logos, I don't deny they exist though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement