Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA III -PC Version- How do you control it?

• 06-08-2006 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Well I installed GTA 3 for the pc there earlier hoping to use my PS2 controller which is plugged in via usb adapter but it doesn't work properly.

The controls are all over the place and the options don't allow ye to map analogue movement.

So basically, does anyone play gta 3 with a controller on pc and if so what one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Dear God no... I tried it out once with my PS2 pad (like yourself) and ditched it after a few minutes.
    The keyboard and mouse is the only way to go IMO.
    After playing GTA games on the PS2, I haven't even been so much as tempted to emulate those awkward controls again.
    Sure, the driving is nice with an analog stick, but having the mouse to aim your guns with makes up for it many times over.
    The keys are alright for driving once you get used to them anyway... "tap-a tap-a tap-aaa" as Lisa Simpsons dance instructor would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 englishineire

Its a funny one, in GTA 3 and Vice City on the PC, you have to use the keyboard and mouse. From those I know who've played it on both PS and PC, nearly all prefer the PC version since they have more control over everything.

However, in SA on the PC, you need to use a controller. There's just too many controls you need access to fast for the mouse and keyboard to be any use.

All deadly games thou :)

Yeah SA is a bit of a stretch alright... I blame the consoles.
    The way I've got it set up at the moment, I've got to hold down delete to target while hitting enter to use his special attack, all the while using the arrows to move him around... it's a nightmare, so I just avoid using the special fighting moves.
    tbh I'd be lost without those extra mouse buttons on the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Keyboard and mouse are the only way to play. I waited for SA on PC because the analogue controls were so bad the game wasn't enjoyable on the playstation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yeah well I've gotten over my initial shock of having to drive with the keyboard and it ain't too bad, I am on a laptop tho so not exactly 100% comfortable but I'm enjoying the game a lot in spite of this.

I get the feeling that the cursor aim isn't great, sometimes i have the cursor directly on someone and it misses them completely. Any of you ever get that?

I'm doing Salvatore missions on the first island and I like the missions but I'm just wondering, do the missions get much more complex or interesting?

would you say the later missions are really something to look forward to? No spoilers please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've got to hold down delete to target while hitting enter to use his special attack
    Target button? I just aimed and shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

the_syco wrote:
    Its alot easier to beat people up when you target them.

the_syco wrote:
    Yeah, or the aim button, whatever it is.
    The one you'd hold down to ready your gun and get the crosshair up.
    I have to hold this down for the special punch/kick attacks to work... pressing the enter/exit vehicle button then performs the move. (ie. the fighting moves you learn at the gym)

Actually while I'm thinking about it, does anyone know how to get the console-style lock-on aiming to work? Though I prefer to boom-headshot everybody with my mad aim, I'm curious whether this was taken out for the PC version or is it just the way I've got my controls set up.
    Can't say I've come across it in any of the 3d PC-version gta's... zit only enabled if you use a control pad?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 englishineire

From what I remember, the missions get a bit harder as you go along.

You're only on the Salvatore missions.. man you've got a long way to go !
    Still got to stretch that map out a bit in a couple of directions ;)

It's a great game so just keep going. Then once you've finished the story missions, restart the game going for 100% completion, there's so much to do !!

If you've on a laptop, I strongly recommend a plug in mouse, makes things so much easier.

I never really played any GTA games on a PS, and I'm pretty sure there's no auto-aim/target available on the PC.
    It's never normally a problem apart from one particular Rampage near the end of the game. You have to shoot so many dudes in the head to decapitate them, took me ages to do, but satisfying once completed.

I think the auto-aim only happens in SA, where indeed you need it for fighting moves.... remember this fella was talking about GTA 3 originally !

remember this fella was talking about GTA 3 originally !
    Hey, you're the one who brought san andreas into this :p

• Advertisement

If you've on a laptop, I strongly recommend a plug in mouse, makes things so much easier.

Oh jaysus yea I ain't using the touchpad! that'd be pretty impossible i'de imagine. I'm just on the second island now, been playing it quite a bit it's great.

Missions using the sniper rifle are much easier than I imagine they would be on the playstation coz of the mouse.

I have also been doing a lot of vigilante sub mission things, that's great fun. I have a savegame with a swat van thing and its so satisfying to just smash into the side of the guy yer chasing and send him flying off a cliff!

I'm on the third island now and I'm tryin to make loads of cash. I've tried searching but haven't really found much for GTA 3.

Anyone know the most lucrative ways to earn cash? Like I'de be doing taxi missions for the rest of my life in order to make the money I need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 de lioncourt

I'm on the third island now and I'm tryin to make loads of cash. I've tried searching but haven't really found much for GTA 3.

Anyone know the most lucrative ways to earn cash? Like I'de be doing taxi missions for the rest of my life in order to make the money I need.
    well i have completed gtaIII many times.... love the game.
    anyway, you can always beat up people and rob their digital asses or use a cheat code.

just type: ifiwerearichman ( 'if i were a rich man' without spaces during the game play)

but if you prefer without cheats codes like me, the best way is to KILL! i usually like to kill prostitutes as they have good money.

Enjoy :)

I always liked the taxi missions for making cash... the X-in-a-row bonuses get nice if you stick at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I use a mouse, keyboard and PS2 controller in San Andreas for the ultimate control :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Yo,

Aiming with the mouse is much much easier than aiming with the PS2-Controller 'knob'. Like DonkeyStyle said: "The keyboard and mouse is the only way to go IMO".

Advertisement