Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog doing dirt on the carpet

Options
  • 06-08-2006 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭

We have a jack russell 6 years old for the last 5 and a half years and it sleeps on a rug in the house at night time. The problem is that every now and then it either does a dump of wets the carpet during the night. We have tried to house train it to no avail and we take up its food and water at 7pm each evening aswell as letting it out the back garden to do the neccessary before we go to bed (at around 10pm) Is there anything else we can do to stop this.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Have you tried letting her / him sleep in a crate ?

It worked for my untrainable beagle mix - dogs don't tend to generally soil where they sleep.

A decent sized crate can be had from Argos for €60 and it really is a lifesaver.

If you are interested I can post some links / e mail you the crate training sheet I used - I got it from an approved dog behaviourist I consulted about the " wee wee " problem.

My little dog still loves her crate and goes off into it for a snooze or when things get hectic in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Crate training sounds like the answer.
    Assuming you have ruled out (via your vet) any medical issues that might be causing this. I dont want to sound *too* icky, but you say its very "wet" poo? (If Im reading properly). This could indicate a bowel or bladder condition, or stress when left alone.
    If you can eliminate the above, then crate training is your best option.

b

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Also if possible take up the carpet and put down a washable floor, might seem a bit extreme but carpets are dirt collectors even without pets and it would make it easier to clean up any messes he makes and get rid of the whiff. As said crate training might work, back to basic toilet training like you would do with a pup, also make sure he's not getting loads to eat at night and rule out any medical problems. I find tinned food makes them poop three times as much mabey changing diet to a brand like Burns or Royal Canine might help.
    Follow the crate training properly and it should work, migght take some time but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

billyhead wrote:
    we take up its food and water at 7pm each evening aswell as letting it out the back garden to do the neccessary before we go to bed (at around 10pm) Is there anything else we can do to stop this.
    Cheers

ok first off your dog needs to have access to water 24 7, secondly, if he's having problems during the night only, is it possible to gradually start moving his dinner time back a bit so that he gets fed later at night? As with all of the other posters crate training is vert effective

Advertisement