Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on SkyTubes please

Options
  • 06-08-2006 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

Considering putting a SunTube http://www.ecotun.com into our landing which is a little dark at one end. Just wondered has anyone put one of these in and if so are they any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have one installed in the bathroom that has no windows and makes a huge difference during the day. It was done by a company in Wicklow, Gorey I think when the house was built 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

You can buy them locally complete with a back up service if needed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I'm re-modelling my house (a bungalow) and the existing bedroom hallway will be completely dark even in daylight unless I install glazing in the bedroom doors, but this would lead to problems with privacy.

Therefore, I was going to install a velux but if the skytubes are an easier cheaper option, I'd go with these.

Where can you get these in the north Kildare, west Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

The 350mm one is about €400 and the 550mm one is around the €500. Most hardware stores have them I think.

I was told though that they won't add extra light to an area that has some light already?

What diameter is the one you have Lex? Thanks for the replies.

The main thing to look out for with suntubes is, the smoother the internal surface the more light they pass inside. some of the cheaper units have flexible "vent duct" in these nearly as light is reflected back up as down.
    Also check that the roof dome is "self cleaning" if it collects dirt you will soon be in the dark:(

Depending on manufacturer, a 300mm diamater tube should light up 3m of hallway. Would be a definate improvement on using "borrowed" light via a fanlight over a bedroom door.

I have installed three in our (not yet finished) bungalow, I hope that they do exactly what it says on the tin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I have two installed in a new bungalow (internal corridor). They are the bees-knees. 300mm diameter c/w bulb fitting for use a light at nightime. I got them direct from Prismatic from Cork as they were much cheaper than getting them from Chadwicks. I would have contact details in my file somewhere if you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Qwerty? wrote:

What diameter is the one you have Lex? Thanks for the replies.
    dunno exactly but I'd guess about 350-400mm for a bathroom about 6x6 ft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

squire1 wrote:
    I have two installed in a new bungalow (internal corridor). They are the bees-knees. 300mm diameter c/w bulb fitting for use a light at nightime. I got them direct from Prismatic from Cork as they were much cheaper than getting them from Chadwicks. I would have contact details in my file somewhere if you need them.

Thanks for all the help and adviceon this. Could you PM the contact/website for Primatic please Squire1

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Advertisement