Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating Roof - Advice nedded

Options
  • 06-08-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I have a kitchen extension (its in a standard 3 bed semi) where i have taken down the plaster ceiling (and also rmovd the insulation material, the thick yellow wool) to install a velux. I plan on vaulting the pitched ceiling but want to make sure its insulated properly as the kitchen can be a bit colder than the other rooms in the house in very cold weather.

MY question is can i re-use the yellow wool or should i use new materials. I read somewhere that i need to leave about a 50mm gap between the insulation and the felt, if so is it possible to get aeroboard or something similar which will fit between the roof supports and still leave a gap?? and can someone recommend what i should use and where i can get it (west dublin). Also do i need to use a vapor barrier and am i right in saying this is just a havy duty polythene sheet?? which goes betwen plasterboard and insulation??

I havent done anything lik this before and want to get it right so any advice offered is most welcome.....

Cheers

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Alan,

I would recommend using an upgrade like 50 mm Kingspan P.U. fitted tight between the rafters instead of the fibreglass because you don't have as much control on the depth when fitting from the inside (50 mm ventilation space).

There are a few insulation suppliers listed in the Golden pages not far from you who will sell in smaller quantities that may suit you, on the vapour check you are correct.

Advertisement