Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrelanOffline on Radio 1 7th of August at 10am

Options
  • 06-08-2006 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

IrelandOffline will be on with Tom McGurk on Radio 1 at around 10am.

Show details here: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/tommcgurk/

Email: tom@rte.ie
    Phone : 1850 715 900
    Text: 087 627 22 22

Be sure to tune in and send in comments, questions etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exellent, McGurk is a good moderater and won't allow any crap from McRedmond or whoever phones in to challange you!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Davey is in Italy so I wonder will he phone in?

So you've hacked into his PDA? Exellent! *strokes pussy*

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    So you've hacked into his PDA? Exellent! *strokes pussy*

*Waves to Mrs. Mike65*

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Just back from lahinch in Clare (after a maraothon drive :eek: ) so expect me to be NOT bright eyed and bushy tailed tomorror/today :)

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Good luck John and IrelandOffline. I shall be tuned in:) I'm expecting another great performance! No pressure:D

Its on right now!!!!!!!!!!! McRedmond is on the line from Italy and the line has been lost!

Tis back :p

Mike.

Damn. They're on already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Only caught the end of it, good job John! I'm looking forward to hearing the full interview.

Who were the other guests invited on for the piece?

Missed most of it. Will get the online archive later. McRedmond eventually admitted that Topfer was wrong! Oh and we've jumped from 8% penetration to 25% penetration rate according to Davey from his Italian villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Another good interview. I wish he didn't let McRedmond talk so much. He was only repeating the same point over and over. McRedmond today reminded me of a half-drowned rat jumping the sinking ship.

And the man, for want of a better word, was proud of 500 LLU connections a week. I wouldnt be suprised if BT did that many a week in ONE exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

You got some good points in John after McRedmond was cut off. I thought McGurk was fairly good.

I wonder if Davey boy is going to be on the dole in a fortnight when the take over goes through?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Why did McRedmond decide to make an uninformed 'guess' live on radio? Once again he's wrong!
    McRedmond wrote:
    My guess is that braoadband is available in more Irish homes than in Bulgaria
    "BTC has 2.9 million phone installed connections which makes Bulgaria one of the CEE countries with the highest fixed line telephone penetration rate - 85% of all households" - http://www.point-topic.com/content/operatorsource/profiles/Bulgaria+Broadband+Overview.htm&comp_id=1893&g=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

daveyjoe wrote:
    Why did McRedmond decide to make an uninformed 'guess' live on radio? Once again he's wrong!

"BTC has 2.9 million phone installed connections which makes Bulgaria one of the CEE countries with the highest fixed line telephone penetration rate - 85% of all households" - http://www.point-topic.com/content/operatorsource/profiles/Bulgaria+Broadband+Overview.htm&comp_id=1893&g=1
    That says that 85% of Bulgarian households have a fixed line phone - it doesn't say that 85% of Bulgarian households have DSL. Given that less than 30% of the Bulgarian public actually use the internet, McRedmond probably got this one right.

How proud he must be - Ireland has better BB penetration that Bulgaria!. Wooo! Break out the champagne!

(I can't find a figure for Fixed Line Penetration in Ireland, but this ComWreck column references a figure of 83% in 2004. It's likely that this figure has fallen since then, as the number of new dwellings built without phone lines, and the number of people depending solely on mobiles is likely to be greater than the number of people getting a phoneline installed simply to get DSL).

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Blitz wrote:

This link should go straight to the interview, if RealPlayer is configured to handle rtsp: links. If not, copy the URL and paste it into the File/Open menu.
    [URL="rtsp://streaming2.rte.ie/2006/0807/07082006rte-todaywithtommcgurk-ttm.rm?start=00:38:00&end=00:58:04"]rtsp://streaming2.rte.ie/2006/0807/07082006rte-todaywithtommcgurk-ttm.rm?start=00:38:00&end=00:58:04
    [/URL]

Boards won't allow me to attach a .smil file. I'm just posting the more focussed link because it's easier to scroll through a 20 minute stream than a 2 hour stream.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

CSO tells us the number of households with Telephone Lines installed.

almost 90% in 2001, see here

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/housing/hbs.pdf

less nowadays :D

Sponge Bob wrote:
    CSO tells us the number of households with Telephone Lines installed.

almost 90% in 2001, see here

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/housing/hbs.pdf

less nowadays :D
    Wow. Up from 75.9% in 1994-95 to 89.6% in 1999-2000. Must have been all those people demanding dialup access to the internet :-)

Of course, there's been something more than 300,000 new dwellings built since 2000. Has eircom added a quarter of a million fixed lines since 2000?

As many of the builds in THIS decade are empty I believe the CSO households budget survey is as a % of occupied households not of houses . Methodology on their site (somewhere) :p

There are maybe 1.5m inhabitable housing units or more in Ireland but 250k are unoccupied.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    As many of the builds in THIS decade are empty I believe the CSO households budget survey is as a % of occupied households not of houses . Methodology on their site (somewhere) :p
    Good point. But the 150,000 coming from Poland must account for a fair few added households.

But is there not a chart somewhere in all the EU and ITU data about fixed line penetration?

Not that any of it matters, though, as McRedmond wasn't talking about fixed line penetration in Bulgaria anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Foxwood wrote:
    That says that 85% of Bulgarian households have a fixed line phone - it doesn't say that 85% of Bulgarian households have DSL.
    Sorry about that, I misread the quote in my eagerness to prove McRedmond wrong. I was pretty amazed that a country like Bulgaria would have 85% broadband availability. Still though, just because only 30% of the population use the internet, doesn't mean that the availability of broadband isn't high.

I came across this *amazing* quote while trying to research it...
    "Bulgaria is on second place in the European broadband availability chart after Ireland, the head of corporate sales in the Bulgarian Telecommunications Company Neicho Velichkov said during the eight national conferences for financial information technologies, organized by IDG." - http://www.trado.org/Gen/GenNews.aspx?NewsID=41

I presume that when he said 'Ireland' he meant Northern Ireland??

As of January, 31 2006 BTC has launched BTC ADSL Service in the following towns in Bulgaria: http://www.telecom.bg/en/residential_article.php?cat=25&id=732

edit: and here's a map (it looks like McRedmond may have been correct): http://www.btc.bg/en/residential_details.php?sel=0&cat=25

but eircom deliberately does not publish a map like that Bulgarian one do they daveyjoe which is why some enterprising private citizens had to create one for them :D

.....and not quite Foxwood, the 150000 Poles you mention are normally 5 or 6 to a house and basically do not form the same number of households as similar numbers of Irish people do. The full census will bear this out.

You would get demand for twice as many phone lines out of 150000 Irish pople and the Irish would find it easier to get a line installed without deposits and cack to pay up front .

Advertisement