Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deer Stalking

• 07-08-2006 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Hey, im just wondering how you get into this particular type of hunting. I dont know any landowners with deer on their land and was wondering does anyone know of any other way to go about it/get licenced for it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Not just tyre kicking here lads genuinely interested, Anybody????

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

best bet is to go knocking on farmer doors and ask them for permission. u only need the one signature if i remember correctly. southeast isnt a bad bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Not being a deer stalker, this is merely what I've picked up here and from talking to stalkers-

Before you go anywhere, you'll need to have a Deer Hunting Licence as issued by the National Parks & Wildlife Service- http://www.npws.ie/PermitsLicences/Licences/DeerHuntingLicences/
    Shooting deer without one of these is poaching, no matter if you own the land yourself or what 'permission' you have from anyone else.

You can approach landowners in deer country for permission, or you can look to become a member of a syndicate that already has permissions established. Unless you already know/are known by the other members and another member is dropping out, the chances of getting into an established syndicate are close to zero, I'm led to believe.

Anyone planning to shoot on Coillte lands must have successfully completed the HCAP programme- http://www.deeralliance.ie/index.htm
    It's probably not a bad idea for anyone stalking deer, no matter where they're shooting, in my opinion.

Another option is to go out with an outfit like this- Donegal Highland Pursuits
    or this- Tailormade Ireland
    Not cheap, but could be a good way to get an introduction to deer stalking.

There are some regulars here who are real deer stalkers (unlike me), so with a bit of luck they'll chime shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Thanks for the advice Iremex and Rovi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

yup there is quite a bit of paperwork involved in getting that permit aswell

My brother filled up all the forms anyway so i'm not 100% on the exact requirements. Its not just a matter of the farmer saying you can use his land either. They have to give written permission and folio numbers as far as i know, could be wrong but that's what i remember about it

It is a lot of hardwork and the "fun" only begins after you pull the trigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

There is also a minimum calibre of .22/250 which you might like to consider when getting a custom rifle built i also think its harder to get a permit with a 22/250 because they dont consider it powerful enough (which is rubbish imo) but im not certain on the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thelurcher

newby: I got mine for the first time this year - a few farmers where I hunt had fierce trouble with deer so were happy to give the permission.
    There's loads of 'poaching' there but the deer numbers are still very high.
    The adjoing forrestry is leased out though and they are cranky bastards - now that I have the rights to all the surronding farmland I'm going to give them some hassle if I catch them taking one in my places :D;)

Go out with the lamp some night and find where they are - you'd be amazed where they turn up in good numbers.

It took 2 months to OK my application with the wildlife dept.
    I gave cover letter, maps, 3 letters of permission on 100's of acres.

You can just ring up the land registry office and get the folio numbers. I found them very good to deal with - make sure you have the farmers proper name and townland etc. - some have the land registered under their parents, wives, Gf's etc.

Guards only took 3 weeks to issue the firearms cert.

Can't wait for Sept 1st!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shc1

In some parts of the US we have a unique phrase on deer hunting.

If you could put a horn and headlights on the bullet they will run in front of it! :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Rovi wrote:
    Not being a deer stalker, this is merely what I've picked up here and from talking to stalkers-
    Anyone planning to shoot on Coillte lands must have successfully completed the HCAP programme- http://www.deeralliance.ie/index.htm
    It's probably not a bad idea for anyone stalking deer, no matter where they're shooting, in my opinion.

I ve shot on coilte leases for over 10 years as to the HCAP course only the principal stalker has to have that course done at the moment (the guy who leases it from coilte). most guys on those leases are nomimated stalkers like me. i was told that i would probaly have to do the course 2007/2008
    the leases arent cheap but i know a guy who organises them and he can put you right.
    Those courses are ane excellent idea but from what i have seen and heard from the guys doing the courses and assessing them they need to improve course content like range estimationand safety in the field
    at he moment the pass rate first time is very low 23 - 25%
    as to private land its more the size of the land (hectares) rather than names and you need it to have a larger block in 1 area and not 15 bits scattered around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

There is also a minimum calibre of .22/250 which you might like to consider when getting a custom rifle built i also think its harder to get a permit with a 22/250 because they dont consider it powerful enough (which is rubbish imo) but im not certain on the system.

This is very true.
    Personally, i also think the .22-250 is a very good caliber for deer too.
    Keelan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

thelurcher wrote:
    newby: I got mine for the first time this year - a few farmers where I hunt had fierce trouble with deer so were happy to give the permission.
    There's loads of 'poaching' there but the deer numbers are still very high.
    The adjoing forrestry is leased out though and they are cranky bastards - now that I have the rights to all the surronding farmland I'm going to give them some hassle if I catch them taking one in my places :D;)

Go out with the lamp some night and find where they are - you'd be amazed where they turn up in good numbers.

It took 2 months to OK my application with the wildlife dept.
    I gave cover letter, maps, 3 letters of permission on 100's of acres.

You can just ring up the land registry office and get the folio numbers. I found them very good to deal with - make sure you have the farmers proper name and townland etc. - some have the land registered under their parents, wives, Gf's etc.

Guards only took 3 weeks to issue the firearms cert.

Can't wait for Sept 1st!

3 weeks?.....Lucky man, you must know them well.:)

All of what you have said here is good info.
    Keelan.

Advertisement