Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI/MEDION Sat NAv can be turned into a PocketPC

Options
  • 07-08-2006 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I was fiddling about with my MEDION Sat NAV when I found out that you can use it as a PocketPC. It has Windows CE 4.2 installed and you can easily get the full functionality of the OS.
    I've installed a DIVX player on it, its excellent.
    I think you can also install other GPS softwares etc (as long as you purchase them legitimately :) )
    Anyhoo just thought I should let people know in case they could make use too.

DETAILS HERE:
    http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23418&whichpage=1

Later!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Conar wrote:
    Hi All

I was fiddling about with my MEDION Sat NAV when I found out that you can use it as a PocketPC. It has Windows CE 4.2 installed and you can easily get the full functionality of the OS.
    I think you can also install other GPS softwares etc (as long as you purchase them legitimately :) )

DETAILS HERE:

Later!

How much is it to buy the GPS thing. Take it its for sale in aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

They're on offer at least twice a year, don't think they have any at the moment but you could check.
    Mines a Medion MD96800 but its about a year and a half old. (Possibly also known as a Medion PNA 250)

Don't know if they sell the exact same model these days but I'd imagine they are similar.

This seems to be a newer version of it on the web.
    Also is based on Windows CE 4.2 "* Windows® CE 4.2 (based)" so it should be the same deal.

Does anyone elso know how much they normally are in ALDI?

Might be worth looking at rather than waiting for the next ALDI deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Conar wrote:
    This seems to be a newer version of it on the web.
    Also is based on Windows CE 4.2 "* Windows® CE 4.2 (based)" so it should be the same deal.

Does anyone elso know how much they normally are in ALDI?

Might be worth looking at rather than waiting for the next ALDI deal!

Cheers mate. I'll do a google and see what I come up with. I also would be interested in finding out how much they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Conar wrote:
    Hi All

DETAILS HERE:

Later!

Followed this link and it worked grand on a Aldi Medion MD95900 except i cannot remove the Medion software using add/remove..it says its still running>Does anyone know how to remove this medion software?

the unit boots into medion on startup so i was wondering if this can be overcome.Also does anyone know is it possible to remove the OS altogether and install Windows mobile 2005? I think the registry entry is locked in some way which forces the unit to always boot a certain way.

And finally ,i would like to get linux onto this if possible...any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Thanks for that Conar, have had mine for about a year and never thought or knew it could double up. I picked it up for €349 last year for those wondering what price it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

got it sorted at last,still running win CE though,...took a lot of time but worth it.Even managed to get the latest q1 2006 navteq maps onto it although i had to install Route 66 to achieve this.the proprietery Navigon software would not import the latest maps.
    This bugged me because both navigon and route 66 use navteq maps but they are different file formats.

Nice one.
    I have TOMTOM software and map packs so I'm going to pop that on tonight and have a look.
    I'll let you know how I get on.
    Great to have a divx player in the car isn't it.
    Why the hell do they hide this functionality? Is it a licensing issue or something?

Advertisement