Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless: "No networks in range" after XP reinstallation?

• 07-08-2006 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

OK.. to cut a short story long! :D

(important bit in bold.. and waffle not in bold)

Sat down today to attempt to configure a dual-boot of XP / Vista (Beta 2) on my laptop. Firstly, i backed up all my data on my external hard drive (not that there was that much of real importance to backup) as i had a feeling messing with partitions wouldn't work out too well for me. Anyways.. had my important stuff backed up so didn't mind if creating the 10GB partition messed up on me and..

.. it did mess up so i had to reinstall XP. Wasn't too bothered as i created the partition at the fresh install of XP.. so all went fine. XP booted up and all was fine except for the numerous devices it didn't recognise (including my internal Wireless Adapter). So i went to my computer connected to the router and downloaded the necessary drivers and i loaded these drivers up to their devices but i can't get it to show my wireless connection.

The Network Adapter appears to be correct but it just says there's no networks in range. And the SSID is definitely broadcasting as the connection was fine before XP went tits up and it's the right driver i installed for the Network Adapter so any other suggestions as to why i'm not getting any networks in range.

Many thanks in advance.

PS - installed Vista grand (moderately impressed... nice and shiny but seems like they're even more blatently knocking off Mac with ObjectDo.. err, i mean "Windows Sidebar").

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=86
    n00b :p

make/model of adaptor (Intel presumably..model?)?
    make/model of laptop? (Is there a 'wireless button'?)

Is the problem in XP or Vista?
    What exact version?

Check in device manager that the Radio is On and whether there's a driver issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Karoma wrote:
    Yeah yeah... but in my opinion, it was more computer related due to the problem occuring after the reinstallation of XP.
    Karoma wrote:
    make/model of adaptor (Intel presumably..model?)?
    make/model of laptop? (Is there a 'wireless button'?)
    Make & model of adapter: Broadcom 802.11g WLAN. Reinstalled the drivers for it so i don't think it's that. No wireless switch or anything like that on it..
    Karoma wrote:
    Is the problem in XP or Vista?
    What exact version?
    Doesn't find the network in either XP Home or Vista Beta 2.. but noticed last night that my Local Area Connection may be somewhat acting up also so could be a general networking issue.
    Karoma wrote:
    Check in device manager that the Radio is On and whether there's a driver issue.
    Device Manager says nothing regarding the radio being on and no problems with the driver. But i presume it is as i've never had to manually switch it on (it's internal anyways) and it would presumably tell me in the View Wireless Networks that the radio was switched off as i've seen that on other PC's before with external wireless adapters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Have you installed the chipset drivers? Is it a Dell laptop?

irlrobins wrote:
    Have you installed the chipset drivers? Is it a Dell laptop?
    Nope.. HP Pavilion zv5368EA.

Installed all drivers available under my model in the HP drivers section on their website.

It's just the Network Connections that doesn't seem to work..

basquille wrote:
    It's just the Network Connections that doesn't seem to work..
    Both wireless and ethernet?

• Advertisement

Yeah, seems to be.

Absolute nightmare to get sorted!

Under device manager, any unknown devices or exclamation icons showing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Are there any conflicts showing in Device Manager?

Is the Network Connections service started? (Start->run-> services.msc)
    Can you run ipconfig /all (via command prompt)?

I noticed this happen in the last few weeks with a friend's (FSC)laptop...hmm. Can you access System Information (msinfo32.exe)?

Uninstalled Vista and am now left with a fresh install of XP but still left with 'no network in range' but Ethernet is working correctly.

In ipconfig /all - i see both my Local Area Connection and Wireless Connection and MAC addresses.

Have you set windows to control the wireless connection? No utility came with the card?

• Advertisement

Yes a utility came with the card.. tried using both it and the one in Windows and it couldn't find networks using either.

Before the reinstallation, i never used the card's utility so it should work with Windows.

You've prob tried this, but installing it and removing all drivers, restarting and reinstalling did nothing to fix?

irlrobins wrote:
    You've prob tried this, but installing it and removing all drivers, restarting and reinstalling did nothing to fix?
    Nope.. did that already in XP. I obviously installed something it didn't like as i got a BSOD so had to reinstall XP.

Now have a fresh version of XP and Vista installed and am pretty much out of ideas! :(

basquille wrote:
    and am pretty much out of ideas! :(
    You're not the only one.... :confused:

Will keep at it for a few days and if i get a resolution, i'll let you know!

Advertisement