Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Respray

Options
  • 07-08-2006 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a mountain bike resprayed in white and where it can be done?

Shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

boomer_ie wrote:
    Hi folks,

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a mountain bike resprayed in white and where it can be done?

Shane

DIY? It's not too difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

Mucco wrote:
    DIY? It's not too difficult.

Anything that keeps costs down, what do you recommend that will stay on and more importantly will accept some logos to be put on top of the white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

boomer_ie wrote:
    Anything that keeps costs down, what do you recommend that will stay on and more importantly will accept some logos to be put on top of the white

The expensive option is to have it acid dipped, primed and then sprayed with acrylic paint.

Cheap option is rub it down with a fin wet&dry sand paper and brush paint with slightly thinned white hammerite (thinning cuts down on brush marks).

Done right, either surface will take stickers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

strip bike, primer , paint, a few coats from a spray can will do job,what i mean by strip is take it back to frame, i.e no forks no bottom bracket no gears ,just frame.tape off the bottom bracket casing, ans the disc brake mounts.
    your bottom bracket wont fit if you dont mask the casing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

In the process of this at the moment:

Stripped bike to bare frame.
    Masking tape on brake bosses
    Rolled up thick paper through bottom bracket, and headset. Stuffed with newspaper to keep shape.
    Got old bottle cage bolts for the bottle cage mounts and the crud guard mount. Screwed them in but not all the way - the aim is to stop the threads getting gummed up but allow the top raised section around the hole to be painted.

Bike had been badly painted with a brush, using flippin Dulux or something, sanded this back with wet n dry paper. Then smoothed everything with smooth wet n dry.

Using Plastikote (matt black in my case!), just do plenty of light coats. Have patience - if you don't leave the paint to "set" then it will seem touch dry but when you turn the bike to spray from another angle then the weight of the bike will put marks in the last coat.

In the past I sprayed a bike hanging from rafters in a shed using wire to hang it.

I found that putting the bike in a porch or conservatory on a sunny day will cure the paint well.

Do make sure it's well cured before bolting stuff back on. The last owner of my frame didn't and I had a tough job to sand out the marks where cable ties on the disc brakes and front mech had dug into the paint.

Mine is just about to get a quick smooth over with fine wet n dry and get it's final coat. Smooth so far...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

sorry mask the edges of head tube, bottom bracket casing, if you dont you will need to get them faced off.

Advertisement