Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest place to buy XP pro

• 07-08-2006 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Anyone know what is the lowest price or Win XP pro on the net? Only from places that deliver to Ireland.

Komplett isn't bad at 144 euro; anyone know of any cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you have a dodgy licence key you can get it direct from MS for €136.

In fairness, €144 is a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Peats have XP Pro Education (says you must be a student, teacher or come from college/university) listed as €125 incl. VAT but its an upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Komplett's not a good option as it's OEM. You'd need to buy hardware too...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 goreill2

nipplenuts wrote:

Yes i am a student. I'm looking to buy a laptop and need xp pro to log on to the college network. Some of the laptops I was looking at can't be customised and i was wondering how much extra it'd be to buy xp pro separately but 77 euro is an amazing price for an xp upgrade.

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Karoma wrote:
    Komplett's not a good option as it's OEM. You'd need to buy hardware too...

Karoma, could you explain that part about needing to buy hardware? I'm looking to get XP Pro as cheaply (and legitimately!) as possible too, and I was under the impression that OEM was simpl--

I just realised what you meant. :) In order for them to be allowed to sell OEM software, you have to buy hardware from them. So, my question is now this: Can you buy *any* hardware from a seller and be sold OEM software? Like a USB lead or something equally cheap? Or does it have to be the likes of a hard drive?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Hmmmm... Have a look at this: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313485

"The product can now be bought seperately (not together with hardware) if it is used in your own assembled PC"

Anyone any idea on how this is enforced? I have a self-assembled PC, but if I wanted to install this on, say, a "store-bought" PC, could I still do it? Is it a legal thing or is it a technical limitation of some kind? (I'm thinking maybe without a full format, the OEM XP Pro would "cop" that you've previously installed XP Home, or 2000 or whatever)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

OEM: Legal measure but it will only activate online 2-3 times IIRC then you have to ring them (about a 10 min call, freephone no.).

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Isn't there some hard way to make home work with networks? I remember seeing something before in the forum before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

There's a way to get group policies to work alright but makes the OS unsupported methinks. Thank god I haven't had to go that road.

MC

• Advertisement
Advertisement