Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruby Jones@Douglas - closed until further notice

Options
  • 07-08-2006 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the story is with Ruby Jones - not that I was very impressed the one time I ate there, but I noticed the signs in the window today saying closed until further notice ?

That place seems to be cursed since O'Driscolls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Ya I work in a pub and it's supposedly went bankrupt big style. I was only in there once and they didn't even have beer on tap. Bottles of Miller were €5 too. Mind you it was for a work night but still. Bring back driscoll's :) It's to be just a bar, a lá east village. Not a big chic cocktail/dodgy food place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Cheers, nothing seems to have worked there since O'Driscolls went....

I think upstairs was a Luigi Malone's franchise or sorts.....mind boggles how you'd get that wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Luigi Malone's owned it. It's now just being used for pre-preparing food for Ruby Jones. I liked Ryan's when it was there. Great when you're underage! Proposed nightclub now apparently. Loads are for it but I can't see it working tbh. Should just be made into a normal shop because Barry's and East Village do most of the business on that side of Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Wow, maybe this time round they'll turn it into a no-bull**** bar instead of some bastardised 2001 meets retro soviet crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 whateveryoulike

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i want a nice bar like barry's used to be. it sucks since they did the place up. was nver in the ruby jones reincarnation. and i'd defo avoid a nightclub in douglas

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Ruby Jones.... where do I start!

My first problem with that place were the seperate toilets, while waiting to go take a leak you were stuck in this long lonely corridor. Not a coke head myself but I remember often thinking it must be a haven for them due to the fact that they were completely soundproof. Cannot even begin to imagine the amount of shagging that went on in there either - due to the whole sound proof thing (not objecting to that btw)

The food - I had sushi there one day (shocking) and another night ordered a caeser salad to go with a bottle of uber expensive champagne. Now you would think considering how much we had knocked back on the champagne that they just might have put a bit more into the caeser than just lettuce and pine nuts? I had to ask the girl to bring me down some parmesan and some caeser sauce... what a cliche - being served a bowl of lettuce!!

The Bar Stools - they were very slippy and I don't know how many times I nearly fell on my butt due to slight intoxication meets slippy bar stool.

Lack of smoking area - you'd have to go out the front which is very offputting.

I hate Luigi Malones food anyway...

The fact that you had to go all the way downstairs and pass through the bar to go to the toilets - makes you feel very exposed - especially coming down the stairs - and I wasn't the only person to think that either.

Anyways - just my couple of points. I'm more of a hang out in the smoking area of barry's person anyway and stagger over the EV afterwards. Or if I don't feel like slapping on a tonne of make up - South County - can't beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Maybe the closure had something to do with the amount of people that got food poisoning there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

From what I heard, shortly before they closed they apparently had improved drastically but by then it was too late as all the bad stories had gotten hold. It’s a bit of a pity for them really since I know of a few people who went from hating the place to gagging for more just before they shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

The Echo had some story the other night that they had spent 8million renovating it!

I have to agree with everyone tho, the food was shocking-they just tried to do too much paella,sushi,burgers,pasta and none of it up to scratch.
    Also all their coke was spray-coke which is disgusting! Especially with vodka etc.

Wonder whats next in the line of cursed establishments.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Took the ex gf there before.

The chicken she ordered was visibly pink in the middle, the waitress said its not. We told the manager after we had paid, he offered us a free meal and we both agreed that we didnt want it as we would never come back. He said and I quote: "yes that is not the first time I have heard that (the complaint that we wouldnt come back), we have had trouble with that waitress before".

Being honest its a nice looking place and the majority of the staff are nice but a mixture of bad management, bad manners and bad training made it a nightmare place.

Obviously the bar part couldn't subsidise the restaurant part.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

I'm living in douglas 3 years and since then i've seen that building under three different names. it's got to be jinx'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sgt Pepper

Since driscolls its been mismanaged and wasted away. Money pit. I was going in there 13 or 14 years ago and watched its decline ever since. They never could get any atmosphere in there, in fact Douglas in general lacks personality and atmosphere these days. You could drop some of its pubs into the centre of the city and be unaware of any difference in the clientel. Veritable who's who at best. Egomaniacs thrive out that way these days. Rugby arseholes and posers rule the roost nowadays in Douglas pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

JohnK wrote:
    From what I heard, shortly before they closed they apparently had improved drastically but by then it was too late as all the bad stories had gotten hold. It’s a bit of a pity for them really since I know of a few people who went from hating the place to gagging for more just before they shut.

I'd agree with that. I had lunch there in May and it was quite nice. Couldn't complain. Decor was a bit odd though

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

It's a company called Sandquay owns it No way it went burst cause they have more than enough It was closed because it was losing too much money Mainly the bar cause while the restaurant might have had bad food it still had people going in there. They changed the manager a bit before they closed in a bid to save it but it had gone to far
    namaimo wrote:
    The Echo had some story the other night that they had spent 8million renovating it!
    Not quiet that much but they did spend a lot but maybe that takes in the lease they have for the next 19 years an all and stuff i'm not counting I used to work for the company that had the contract to do it up Spent a while in there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Don't sandquay own teh HI burger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Maybe the closure had something to do with the amount of people that got food poisoning there

it was a dump...and the food was rank. thank god its closed

Advertisement