Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which processor for broadband?

• 07-08-2006 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Is Intel celeron sufficient for a broadband connection? i see some sites stating that it is necessary to have pentium...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It'll be fine, BB will work on most computers nowadays. I don't think its processor dependant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

esperanza wrote:
    Is Intel celeron sufficient for a broadband connection? i see some sites stating that it is necessary to have pentium...
    You can use a broadband connection on an old CP/M machine with 64K of RAM.

But an increasing number of web pages are loaded with Macromedia Flash ads and other "eye-candy" that will suck up CPU cycles, which will slow down any CPU, so users of old computers might find their "broadband experience" less satisfying than those expensive TV ads had led then to expect. Hence the CYA statement about "minimum requirements".

And to confuse matters further, a current celeron can wipe the floor with a 4 or 5 year old pentium. And a 4 year old Pentium with 512MB or RAM will wipe the floor with a more recent CPU with 128MB of RAM.

If you find that Flash ads are causing a problem, try using one of the flash-blocking add-ins for Firefox. I find that they make my old laptop much happier.

Advertisement