Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is blocking my ports?? permanet broadband

Options
  • 07-08-2006 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Ok so it's starting to get annoying at this stage, I'm running azureus bittorent client on my laptop (WinXP) and i get download speeds between 0.1kBps and 80kBps(rare) - average of about 7-20kBps.but my NAT is firewalled(red dot) and my DHT is firewalled(yellow dot) and i've never got a green smiley for a download.

I have switched my zone alarm off and windows firewall is NOT on.
    I have ran several port scanners both exe's and online and they are all showing my ports around 62300-62400 to be blocked. (they're just the one's i've tested) i've tried random ports but to no avail too.

I can't figure out why my ports are being blocked..I'm with permanet broadband on a 2MB connection and need some help!! Could it be a proxy or firewall on the ISP's end???

Any suggestions welcome..thanks!
    Marcomolo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

...and you have checked your router's settings/firewall(s)?

"permanent broadband"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

marcomolo wrote:
    Could it be a proxy or firewall on the ISP's end???
    Yes. In fact it's increasingly common on Wireless BB providers. But you haven't said whether you've set up port forwarding on your NAT firewall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Karoma wrote:
    "permanent broadband"?
    PermaNet - a wireless provider in Wexford, Cork and Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 marcomolo

i don't have a router, just the comport com 21 cp2100 modem they installed in my house. if i don't have a router i can't port forward right?

the only firewall i had was zone alarm which i switched off altogether.

i've heard it's cos i don't have a static ip..i thought i did. but when i use online ip finders i get 80.253.125.215 as my IP all the time but ipconfig tells me differently. just now it's 192.168.140.255...it might change if i switch the connection off. I just tried plugging my net cable out and in again but that didn't change it...?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

marcomolo wrote:
    i don't have a router, just the comport com 21 cp2100 modem they installed in my house. ....

just now it's 192.168.140.255...

192.168.X.X is not an internet address. It's a private network address (not routeable over the internet). 80.253.125.215 is your public internet address. This is common way to get setup.

I'm not familiar with your modem but it must get the internet address and forward the traffic to your PC. In that case you'll need to setup some kind of forwarding on it. If it's not a router then the forwarding must be done at the ISPs end (which would be weird but not impossible).

Do an ipconfig
    Look for your default gateway. That should be the address of your modem. Try typing http://default gateway address in at a browser and see if it gives you anything.

As a side question (to anybody), which ISPs do port blocking? I wasn't aware of any but if some do it would be worth a sticky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

give us a traceroute

open a DOS prompt and type

tracert www.boards.ie

paste the result up here.

here ye go!

:(

:D:D got me a static ip and that fixed it..BINGO!!:D :D

thanks for the help lads(and lassies?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sandisk

Hi, I came across this thread and hope somebody can help me out.

Basically I was with digiweb with a 3meg connection and using a modem with no firewall and I was hitting decent speeds on bittorrent. 200kbps upwards on some torrents with good connections.

Today I got magnet installed, which is 8meg connection.
    The router they supply is a "2wire modem" and I bought a wireless belkin usb network adapter.

With the 8meg I thought the speed would be a lot better but now I find its taking longer to connect to seeds on bittorrent and I'm only hittin 140kbps max and downwards from there.

I'm a total nOOb when it comes to port forwarding and the likes of this.

If anyones familiar with the magnet setup could you please help me out?

Digiwebs 3meg seems faster to me than magnets 8meg at the minute.

I havn't a clue how to port forward. I thought when you purchased a router, it comes with software and you can access it's settings from you desk top but with the 2wire modem, you don't install any software. All you have to do is install the wireless card. I got the belkin "wireless g usb network adapter" and you can access it's setting from the desk top, maybe the problem lies there? Like I said I'm a total noob so any help would be really appreiceated.

Thanks
    Sandisk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 k-1

Ive been having the same problems with permanet and azureus. I'm using Azureus, Sygate Personal Firewall and i have no router. Im connecting to the internet with permanet (make is arris Touchstone) Im able to download torrents, but my download speed only goes to around 8.0kB/s sometimes 14kB/s and my upload can go up to 25kB/s. Ive set sygate to allow azureus to connect to my port setting, but after a while i get a pop up message saying azureus has been blocked from accessing the internet. Does anyone know why this is happeing, even though im still able to download torrents?

At the bottom of azureus its:

Yellow for ratio
    Red for Firewalled
    Yellow for DHT Firewalled

Anyone have any ideas whats wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

First, turn off Windows firewall, any 3rd party firewall eg;norton, symantec, zone labs and if you have a n-force4 motherboard that the nvidia firewall is disabled/un-installed.

Then make sure that your router has the proper ports opened.
    Visit www.portforward.com 's forwarding page. Have the name of the program you plan to use and model number for the router.

Lastly, ring your I.s.p and ask them do they block or throttle ports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ndorphine

Apparently for the home users of Magnet they block all access to the router admin so its not possible to open ports on the NAT which is a pain for all P2P software. I rang their tech support and they said the reason was something to do with the router acting as a bridge, doesn't make any sense to me but if anyone can explain please do.
    As for "Permanent Broadband" and the likes,,,,, are they a wireless broadband crowd??? Sounds to me like they might be reselling business packages from larger providers, would make sense for them to block P2P file sharing on their network as would be a dead giveaway if it were the case.
    Anyway, solution for Magnet is to hack the admin password on the 2Wire router, I'm going to set to it this evening, I'll let ye know how I get on. An easier way would be if anyone knows someone who works in Magnet Tech Support, they could just give us the passwords :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

If that fails ndorphine you could try using the UPNP feature on the Azereus bit torrent client. Its supposed to automatically open ports on the router ... wiki details -> http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/UPnP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hadder

please i have the same set up as you com21 sat set up could you tell me how you got the static ip address and what i need to do going mad i am, very slow torrants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Torrents are dead people......................

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Torrents are dead people......................

I agree and I can't understand why these people haven't copped on either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

ndorphine wrote: »
    Apparently for the home users of Magnet they block all access to the router admin so its not possible to open ports on the NAT which is a pain for all P2P software.

Does this infer that the business users of Magnet have access to the router config?
    Considering switching at work from Eircom to Magnet but without access to the router config its a bit pointless...
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

ndorphine wrote: »
    Apparently for the home users of Magnet they block all access to the router admin so its not possible to open ports on the NAT which is a pain for all P2P software. I rang their tech support and they said the reason was something to do with the router acting as a bridge, doesn't make any sense to me but if anyone can explain please do.
    As for "Permanent Broadband" and the likes,,,,, are they a wireless broadband crowd??? Sounds to me like they might be reselling business packages from larger providers, would make sense for them to block P2P file sharing on their network as would be a dead giveaway if it were the case.
    Anyway, solution for Magnet is to hack the admin password on the 2Wire router, I'm going to set to it this evening, I'll let ye know how I get on. An easier way would be if anyone knows someone who works in Magnet Tech Support, they could just give us the passwords :)

have you tried a different router?

Advertisement