Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

wiring for a smarthome

• 07-08-2006 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

building a new house soon and want to future proof it by having it wired with all the cable i might need. not going to the expence of home automation yet but maybe someday. for the moment just internet throughout the house and pc in office connected to projecter in tv room. any advice on where to start, please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Cat5 e every where ... two points in every room min ..all running back to one location (locate a patch panel here).. dont forget to have an eircom supply from outside at this point also..
    If you want sound in every rrom run speaker from this point also to the ceilings in every room.
    For sound run a separate cat 5e to every room and locate it beside your lightswitch for keypad contol
    For your main sitti ng room wire separatly for surround sound (powered locally) have speaker plates in the corners
    There are a million other things you can do.. but that a good start..
    You'll be tempted to run cat6 cos 6 is bigger than 5 and everyone thinks its better .. but for a house 5 is the way to go..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I have just finished an ext and put cat5 from a central point -utility room beside phone point - to all main rooms.

In a few years all entertainment will be digital and you'll need it :D

I have a media centre in the main tv room and hope to put in an extender into the kitchen so I can watch recorded programs thru the cat5 network (better than wireless) from the media centre in the main room.

cheap wiring it now - I got bare 10m cat5 cable for 2 euro -needed the extra bit. so it's cheap.

k

Advertisement