Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

flashed by a camera on the other side of the road

Options
  • 07-08-2006 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. was driving threw drogheda today and I got flashed by a camera on the other side of the road with not a sinner around. whats that all about

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭UNIFLU

may have thought you were reversing over the speed limit....
    heheh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Guest

A speed camera or a civillian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I though the speed cameras worked by means of induction loops (?), cables under the road that through magnetism or something detect the passage of you vechile over them...

So I would have thought you can't set them off from the other side of the road...

But assuming you can, theres no markings on the road so any snaps of your would be void... perhaps? Which springs to mind another question, by doing an 'overtake' of nothing through a speed trap would that remove thier ability to work out your speed?

*goes looking to find out how speed cameras work*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Could have been one of the "Here what I saw today" posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

blahblah06 wrote:
    Hi guys. was driving threw drogheda today and I got flashed by a camera on the other side of the road with not a sinner around. whats that all about
    I wouldn't worry about it. Note the white lines on the side of the road that the camera is on that are used to guage your speed. If you were on the other side of the road then I'd dispute any speeding charge that came my way.

Probably just a malfunctioning camera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

I wouldn't worry about it. Note the white lines on the side of the road that the camera is on that are used to guage your speed. If you were on the other side of the road then I'd dispute any speeding charge that came my way.

Or a camera that can take pictures of both sides of the road, I understand they exist in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

Or a camera that can take pictures of both sides of the road, I understand they exist in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

That happened to me one the road to Slane a few years back. T'was night time and the last thing you'd expect is a great flash going off in front of you. Nothing ever came of it but if the camera had any film in it, I'd say some of the pictures it took of oncoming cars must have been classic.I probably had a face with "what the fúck" written all over it.:D :D

Wouldn't worry too much TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

saobh_ie wrote:
    I though the speed cameras worked by means of induction loops (?), cables under the road that through magnetism or something detect the passage of you vechile over them...

So I would have thought you can't set them off from the other side of the road...

But assuming you can, theres no markings on the road so any snaps of your would be void... perhaps? Which springs to mind another question, by doing an 'overtake' of nothing through a speed trap would that remove thier ability to work out your speed?

*goes looking to find out how speed cameras work*

The fixed cameras (the ones here anyway) do not use buried loops, they use radar. The lines on the road are for verification, two pictures are taken at a fixed gap and the speed can be determined by the distance travelled in that time.

That happened to me one the road to Slane a few years back. T'was night time and the last thing you'd expect is a great flash going off in front of you. Nothing ever came of it but if the camera had any film in it, I'd say some of the pictures it took of oncoming cars must have been classic.I probably had a face with "what the fúck" written all over it.:D :D

The ones that flash at oncoming cars are non-operational, they have no cameras and a cheap dummy radar unit that is not accurate enough to differentiate the direction of travel.

There are only a few cameras and they supposedly rotate around the various sites, although they seem to keep the N3 one constantly running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

John R wrote:
    There are only a few cameras and they supposedly rotate around the various sites, although they seem to keep the N3 one constantly running.

I was caught at Lanistown on the old N1 at 3.30am on my way to work even though everyone said it was a dummy! (Pre Penalty points days though :))

I was caught at Lanistown on the old N1 at 3.30am on my way to work even though everyone said it was a dummy! (Pre Penalty points days though :))

All of the sites can have the live equipment installed and I'm sure all of the locations have been live at some stage but they seem to have stopped using many of the sites these days.

Those Gatso cameras are old technology. They are expensive to use (film cameras), have to be manually loaded every so often (every 400 pictures AFAIK) and require a lot of office time to process the fines.

All the new digital based systems can be run for a fraction of the cost and the whole process from detection to issuing the fine can be done automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Flashed by speed camera on n3 (between kells and navan - just before the ford garage). Early morning - well over the speed limit. Never heard anything - scared the life out of me, was concentrating on the road and wasn't expecting to be blinded by bright lights - thought I was being abucted by aliens!

Bit dangerous imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Bit dangerous imo...

.........even more dangerous than someone who is driving "well over the limit" and has a tendency to over indulge in Sci Fi fantasies ??

I assume you mean well ove the speed limit as oppossed to the blood/alchohol limit ??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

comanche wrote:
    Flashed by speed camera on n3 (between kells and navan - just before the ford garage). Early morning - well over the speed limit. Never heard anything - scared the life out of me, was concentrating on the road and wasn't expecting to be blinded by bright lights - thought I was being abucted by aliens!

Bit dangerous imo...

Me Too!!

But These type of camera can only take a pic of you on the side of the road that the camera is on.
    And I know I had passed the camera for the second flash :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

MercMad wrote:
    .........even more dangerous than someone who is driving "well over the limit" and has a tendency to over indulge in Sci Fi fantasies ??

I assume you mean well ove the speed limit as oppossed to the blood/alchohol limit ??

No I was over every limit in existance... you name it I was over it.

If you are into preaching I suggest you set up the apprioprate thread.

Advertisement