Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asking a gal out

• 07-08-2006 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

There's this girl who lives near me. We often take the same bus in the morning to work. We get on the same stop and get off the same spot too :) So not only she lives near me but works near me as well. She seem very nice and I'd like to ask her out. We haven't spoke before and on top of that I am a bit shy. Not sure how to approach her to ask her out.

Any advice on how to break the ice with her and ask her out is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lostone

Ummmm....just off the top of my head...walk up sit beside her and say...hey i see you all the time on this bus but we have never actually spoken a word...im 'name' *extend hand* nice to meet you...then talk about anything you want....w/e you want i cant really give you that...

Sucks being shy huh...i used to be overly shy around girls but just breath...relax its not that big a deal...talk about anything it dont really matter....think of topics before that will prolly help until you get good and are not as nervous...i find its actually a skill to be able to talk to women well...over time you will get better...talk about something tangible in the current area...say the crzy hobo who lives near the bus stop or something like that...you get what im saying...and good luck...talk a few days as you see her all the time then ask for an email or number or whatever or just aks to go out right away but if your shy i would opt for email for msn...or phone. MSN is good since you have all the time in the world to think of what you want to say...go get em tiger...lol :cool:

*edit*....read what i wrote...ask her may i have a seat first...or strike up a conversation like i said then say may i have a seat...lol...good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 justafriend?

If i were you i woudl start by talking to her tommorrow morning... take a deep breath...and you should find that its really easy to break the ice...find somethng to comment on ... it can be something as simple as what time is it...?dublin bus is always so unreliable... Most importantly smile at her...

then the next morning it shouldn't be so hard to talk to her... if you keep trying for a little more conversation.. who knows where it might lead you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Start off each day with something small about nothing in particular and then a little bit more each day and you'll find that maybe she will open up a bit more to you. Good luck. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Good advice here so far.

My thoughts are, start talking to her, without the intention of getting something from her - a date.

The only way through fear is courage. When you're afraid of something and you "do courage" you gain "confidence."

Just a funny comment that came to mind when I read lostone's thoughts on being funny and msn. I was talking to a girl who'd met a guy recently but he rang her instead of txting her, which she was used to. She didn't like it since she couldn't be witty, as she said, like she could with a txt message.

Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I was talking to a girl who'd met a guy recently but he rang her instead of txting her, which she was used to. She didn't like it since she couldn't be witty, as she said, like she could with a txt message.

The state of communication these days eh? Pfft.

OP- grow a spine and just ask her out. Really, its that easy. The answer will be yes or no.

K-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

Kell wrote:
    OP- grow a spine and just ask her out. Really, its that easy. The answer will be yes or no.

No I don't think this is a good idea. I would be really freaked out if a stranger came up to me and asked me out, even if he was cute. It looks a bit desperate or something.
    I think the advice that has already been given is what the OP should do - strike up a conversation, keep it really light, start with brief conversation. Don't talk about serious, heavy things and don't act like it's a big thing. Good luck and keep us posted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Make sure you smile!! :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

ask her does she have change for the bus. If she says no, then ask her out. After you've received one 'no', the next ones are easier to take :)

tbh. I wouldn't ask her out straight, try & get to know her a bit better. I don't know how often your bus runs, but no-one will want to vary their schedule just to avoid unwanted suitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the advice guys.
    I find it hard to talk to woman under normal circumstances, this one I think would be a tad bit extra ordinary. For the past 3 months or so, we've looked at each other countless times, obviously and me being shy as I am, not once has smiled at her, not that I didnt want to. Kinda regreting it at the moment as it wouldnt have been a bit weird talking to her if I did.
    I was quite pissed off the other. I was getting on the bus behind her and we both went to the top carriage. The bus was full and only a few places left. There was 2 free spot at the end of the bus. She was heading for it, I hesitated and the bloke behind me went past me and got that seat! :( Was the first time that happened and I blew it :(
    Other thing is I am getting a company car in a few days time. So that would be the end of me taking the bus. So I have to sorta do it fast if I am to do it. Talk about pressure! Therefore, I wont have much oppurtunity to get to know her unless I can get enough courage to firstly talk to her and secondly get her number. Which as cinnamon pointed out, its kinda freakish if a stranger comes up to talk to me and ask my number, on a bus, going to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

There's this girl who lives near me. We often take the same bus in the morning to work. We get on the same stop and get off the same spot too :) So not only she lives near me but works near me as well. She seem very nice and I'd like to ask her out. We haven't spoke before and on top of that I am a bit shy. Not sure how to approach her to ask her out.

Any advice on how to break the ice with her and ask her out is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

How about a simple "good morning", or "after you" before getting on or off the bus?
    "will this bus never arrive?"
    "crowded isnt it?"
    "Thats the last seat.. would you like it"
    Simple non-threatening

Judging by the resonse.
    then "you get off at my stop...where do you work?"
    "By the way my name is xxxxx whats yours."
    and so on and so forth

• Advertisement

theyre right u cant go "hi ive noticed u around will u go out with me?" any normal girl would run! just be yourself an start a little conversation, and once the ice is broken you should be able to talk to her easily, if youre still not comfortable then theres no point askin her out if you cant talk, just be yourself! a safe topic is something like the weather gone bad again and the likes. a thing every girl loves is to laugh! if you can make her laugh youll have no bother! maybe even mention to her that you are gettin a car an you wont have to stand out in the weather anymore, and judge her reaction if she likes you she'll be disappointed but try and hide it! but look out for it all the same! good luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

I've never known anyone build attraction by talking about the weather!

Shy Guy, the only way through fear or to do courage. But overall, you should work on your confidence: it will work wonders for you in every area of your life.

Advice for this particular scenario: Don't try to be perfect, because that'll just increase the pressure on you to perform, and then you won't.

You're bound to feel anxious but then again so will she, it's normal when you start interacting with someone new. If you have the opportunity to speak to her on the bus (let's say the journey is 30 minutes) you'll have enough time to see if you want to see her again. Then set something up from there.

Hope this helps,
    Colm

i was in the same boat as you, always the same bus for years and years, also kinda knew her from primary school, we bumped into each other in a club recently and hit it off great and and going on a few dates, bite the bullet and ask her, she could be in the same state of mind too <scans PI for similar worded thread with genders reversed>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

But whatever you do don't leave it too long, someone else could ask her out and then you'll be kicking yourself.

It happened to me it could happen to you.

Advertisement