Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkswagen Bora 1.4, any opinons

Options
  • 07-08-2006 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

has anyone got any experence good bad or ugly about these cars

might be geting one just want to know what to look out for servicing / things that commonly go wrong.

Merci

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I have a 2000 1.4 Bora. My wife drives it now. I've had it from new and it has never given any bother. Its been through 2 NCTs and passed each first time. The only thing that ever needed replacing was the brake light switch. It has 46,000 miles and two of the tyres are still the original ones.

Its a bit under powered at only 75bhp (52kW) but it is a comfortable car to drive. I drove it around Europe on 2 occasions and never had any stiffness or discomfort. But, I drove it a wee bit too hard on the German autobahns and it has developed a tapping ever since - which appears to be a small end bearing. But the car still drives perfectly and the tapping subsides somewhat once the engine is at normal operating temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

guy in work had one...a 99 1.4 had 88k miles on it and the gearbox needed replacing. He was told that they are weak and had tendencies to fail at the 80k mark.

I know nothing about Boras but this is from 2nd party experience

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's grand. Just another A to B econobox. Pretty reliable. The only problem is that originally, it cost 25% more than the almost identical, but much more practical Skoda Octavia which is a bit bigger too. Second hand it seems to have retained more than that price differential, so it wasn't that bad a car to buy in the first place!

I've seen asking prices of €7k for a 7 year old Golf / Bora 1.4. Unreal and appalling value for money, but of course great for previous owner(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

1.4 is a pretty brutal engine from what I've heard, and my neighbours car confirms that. 3 years old and sounds like a bag of spanners.

Advertisement