Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friend needs help with drug addiction.

• 07-08-2006 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, I was just wondering does anyone know the system for getting people addicted to drugs (cocaine) into rehabilitation in Ireland. What is the set up? Who do you contact? Does the state take care of finances? How do I go about getting the person to go if s/he doesn't want help?

Your help is most appriciated,
    H.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A good start may be your friend's GP. The GP will know his medical history and contacts with all the relevant people.

St. John of Gods in Stillorgan and a few other places do addiction treatment.

If your friend has VHI or BUPA, etc. it may be covered. Otherwise its down to getting a referral from a GP, probably to the psychiatric department in your local hospital.

A couple of boards members have been through this either themselves or with friends. What your friend probably needs most are the tools (medical) and support (you, his other friends and family).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks very much for the info victor.

My friend lives in the waterford region, and I was wondering, wyould he have to travel to dublin in oder to get this kind of support, or are there places in each county?

I think the bigeest problem I am faced with is actually getting him to understand he has a problem, and to actually get him to do something about it! Is there any sites or people I could call that could give me advice on how to get him to go along and get help?

Again,
    your help is very much appriciated.
    H.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

What type of usage are you talking about here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 arip

Helo123,

I believe there is an addiction treatment programme in Brook House on the Cork Road in Waterford City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Helo123 wrote:
    I think the bigeest problem I am faced with is actually getting him to understand he has a problem, and to actually get him to do something about it!
    Admitting to a problem is the first step to curing it.
    Is there any sites or people I could call that could give me advice on how to get him to go along and get help?
    Google throws up these, but most doctors should be able to help you out, as should your local Health Centre. At worst phone the main local HSE number.

http://www.dap.ie/dap_youth/find_local_help_smoking.htm
    http://www.ndc.hrb.ie/attached/1433-1267.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement