Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Glazing without Replacement

Options
  • 07-08-2006 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

We have 1970's teak picture windows , with single glazing . We do like the thin teak frame ( not only because Dad put them in and they were made by a local carpentar) and we don't like the idea of fat plastic replacement frames . Is it possible to cut out and deepen the space for the window pane so that a double glazed unit fits in ? How deep must it be ?
    Is it possible to sink the wide double glazed unit into the interior part of the window and have it supported some how ?
    Sorry if this came up before , I searched and only found replacement , replacement and more replacement ideas .

pjq

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

It can be done, but the dept of the rebate of the existing window will dictate whether this can be done or not.
    The labour cost for this would be expensive imo, as even using a router, it would still be time consuming.
    The rebate would need to be a min of 30-50mm to allow for a glazing slip & the double glazed unit....I can't remember off hand if you can get slim units...

I'd say if you got a price to fit units into you existing windows inc cost of fitting them, you may find that it would be cheaper to replace them....

I've only ever done this once before many years ago on a ranch style window, never again...:)
    why not ask a local carpenter and see what they say....

Hope it helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

There are a couple of companies offering that service, maybe under restoration in the Golden pages ?

I know one company in Kells (meath) who do them and fit rubber gaskets in the sashes as well.

Advertisement