Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing Asbestos Downpipe for painting

Options
  • 07-08-2006 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

I have an external water downpipe that has severe flaking paint.

As it's asbestos I'd rather not scrape it.

Is anyone aware of a product that I could paint on that would chemically remove all the loose debris, so I can then proceed with painting?

Cheers

Redman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi redman,

Paint doesn't get a good bond on most asbestos pipes / products, a mask for safety and a good pair of rough gloves should remove most of the flaking paint, don't forget your eyes if you are going to be reaching up use goggles paint has sharp edges ;)

When you the heavy paint off you can choose between a blow lamp, hot air paint remover or something similar to nitromors (SP?).

Use a nice thin coat of primer as a base anything oil based needs to soak into asbestos to get a bond which doesn't really last too long anyway.

Originally asbestos pipes and gutters were the no maintenance answer to steel, kind of like PVC is today, thought you might like a little history :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Thanks rooferpete and welcome back ;)

Strangely two of the other downpipes are cast iron. Anyhow you advice is most welcome.

Regards

Redman

Advertisement