Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted firearms

Options
  • 07-08-2006 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

What are these??

Full automatics and the likes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

From what i understand Psitta anything the current/future Minister for Justice decides is to be a restricted firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

The key word here is Minister!!! Not local Superintendant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

right well that clears things up a bit :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shc1

I guess those gray areas are the same on both sides of the ocean.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There are currently no restricted firearms because the minister hasn't designated any yet. He can restrict them on pretty much nay detail from caliber to muzzle velocity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

just a quick q cause i have been away for awhile the airsoft and pellet guns are now legal yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Rew wrote:
    He can restrict them on pretty much nay detail from caliber to muzzle velocity.
    Yep, it's pretty much the old 'idontlikedalookodat' policy written into law. :(

maglite wrote:
    just a quick q cause i have been away for awhile the airsoft and pellet guns are now legal yes?
    They've always been legal (and still are), it's just that anything with a muzzle energy of under 1 joule no longer needs to be licenced.

ya you know what i mean

but there toys now yes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

maglite wrote:
    ya you know what i mean

but there toys now yes?

Only if the muzzle energy is under 1 joule. Don't know it its law yet.

• Advertisement

Yea anything with energy of <1 joule is now a toy!! Which means you will have to get out the calculator because most sites give that energy in fps instead of joules, but they are toys now however as Rew says dont know when that will be in effect so i wouldn go out ordering everything you ever wanted off the net just yet. Best man to ask is Sparks

maglite wrote:
    ya you know what i mean

but there toys now yes?
    Well, provided they're under 1 joule, they're not firearms.

What they are depends entirely on the use to which they are put. Having a laugh with your mates out in the woods or around the house, they're toys. Stuck in a bank teller's face, they're a deadly weapon and will be responded to and any survivors prosecuted as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

yes you can buy them.

i called the DoJ and they said the firearms won't be restricted for 5-6 months

whupass wrote:
    yes you can buy them.

i called the DoJ and they said the firearms won't be restricted for 5-6 months

Good man whupass, exercising the old gray matter, and being responsible about it too. I sappose there will be boxes of airsoft gettin delivered to your house soon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Liam Good

newby.204 wrote:
    Yea anything with energy of <1 joule is now a toy!! Which means you will have to get out the calculator because most sites give that energy in fps instead of joules, but they are toys now however as Rew says dont know when that will be in effect so i wouldn go out ordering everything you ever wanted off the net just yet. Best man to ask is Sparks

1 joules = 0.737562149 foot pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 41 garmac

You really gotta laugh...........or cry.
    I'm in the process of bringing in a break action .22 air rifle from the UK.
    It's an poverty spec model( gotta start somewhere with rifles) made God knows where and its muzzle energy is 10 ft/lbs( 13.5 Joules) and if I was uk resident and over 17 I could buy it over the counter, like a toy.
    I'm not saying that this is right or wrong but what a difference.
    I mean; I could give someone a nasty little bruise with that!

or kill them at 50+ yards

newby.204 wrote:
    Good man whupass, exercising the old gray matter, and being responsible about it too. I sappose there will be boxes of airsoft gettin delivered to your house soon:D

No, no, none yet:D :D . my dad won't let me get them because there isn't anywhere to play it yet so (he says') i'll end up shooting at things on the street. i wouldn't do that though, they are weak enough for me to set up a target in my room or use it in the garden, i could even bring it to my friends house, he has 18 acres and is into airsoft too, but no i can't get it:( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

whupass wrote:
    No, no, none yet:D :D . my dad won't let me get them because there isn't anywhere to play it yet so (he says') i'll end up shooting at things on the street. i wouldn't do that though, they are weak enough for me to set up a target in my room or use it in the garden, i could even bring it to my friends house, he has 18 acres and is into airsoft too, but no i can't get it:( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

My mother DETESTS/HATES firearms whupass, and i had to nag and beg for four years before she would agree to letting me get a gun and keep it in the house, now i dont know what your parents are like but IMO keep up the nagging they will either break and let you have one or they' kill you :D

darn i told him your story and the first thing he said was "ok four years then" and then he said "you can get one as soon as you move out" darn!!

• Advertisement

whupass wrote:
    darn i told him your story and the first thing he said was "ok four years then" and then he said "you can get one as soon as you move out" darn!!

Ah you see forethought, i was begging since i was 14, long before i could actually get a gun. My ma pulled the "when you have your own house" line aswell. You just have to prove with reason that when you get it you will be safe and responsible. Now for me that ment a gun safe, bolted to soild wall, safebox for ammo, and keys are on me 24/7 i never leave them down or hand them to anyone, before ye start im gettin a safebox for the keys too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 garmac

Originally Posted by maglite
    or kill them at 50+ yards
    I doubt it. The manufacturers quoted range is 40 yards however....
    I do appreciate what you're saying and of course I will treat it in the same manner as my shotgun.

40 yards for a clean kill
    at 50 yards it has enough energy to throw it another 150 fired at 45deg >that is alot of power but if you dont believe me get a piece of wood at 50 yard and shoot it drop on mine is close enough to a foot.. and look at the penitration then ask if you would like that to hit your head.......

its ok i did it for you
    http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5484/dscf4361yp0.jpg

http://img47.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf4362tt9.jpg

@newby a safe accessed by a code would be the right thing to keep the keys/ammo/bolt in

@newby a safe accessed by a code would be the right thing to keep the keys/ammo/bolt in

I know but with all the dosh im shelling out for the guns, the O/U,.22wmr and the custom(whatever that costs) at the moment i cant really afford anything like that, yet!!

40 yoyo's in argos which is a batter safe than some "gun" safe's you'd buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

newby.204 wrote:
    My mother DETESTS/HATES firearms whupass, and i had to nag and beg for four years before she would agree to letting me get a gun and keep it in the house, now i dont know what your parents are like but IMO keep up the nagging they will either break and let you have one or they' kill you :D

A friend of mine had this problem as well.In the end he said fine,I am going out and taking up high power motor biking as a hobby.Made all the preperations and left some gory mags lying around about motorbikes and fatalities ,etc.A week later his parents conceeded and let him have the gun instead!!They are actually now quite happy with him shooting and are more relaxed about guns than before.A reverse Hobsions choice somtimes works wonders.:D

Advertisement