Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20 Clubbers might say "thanks for a brill night", but it takes just one muppet...

• 08-08-2006 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Doing a gig last night in Meath, I had about 20 clubbers come up to me in the DJ booth at the end of the night and say things like "Thanks man for playing my song" or "Excellent set tonight" / "Thanks for giving us a good night".

This is great for the average DJ cause it makes us feel like we provided an excellent nights entertainment to our customers/clubbers, and especially when it is said by a drop dead beautiful girl!

But it takes one muppet to say something....

As I was leaving the club, there was a guy sitting by the exit with a few mates finishing up their drinks, and he says out load "dont give up the day job!",

I didnt have time to think/react, so I just continued on walking passed them and replyed "Yeah, thanks lad!".

To which he replyed, "yeah, im serious".

I just walked out to my car and went home.

I felt pissed off that i didnt stop and reply to him properly.

Something like "yeah thanks lad, im doing gigs every weekend and especially went out of my way this weekend to f*ck up your night out by coming in here and do a bit of DJing while my wife and my two kids are tucked up in bed fast asleep at home. I dont need your sh*te, im only here to DJ, have a good time while im doing it and to earn a few quid towards paying my mortgage!"

My point is that no matter how many people come up and say great things, its always the one muppet who says something bad that gets to me. :mad:

It doesnt happen very often, but every now and then it does.

Ive been doing gigs since i was 17 and im 26 now and you would think ive toughened up by now!

Anyone have any simular problems/experiences and how do you best deal with them?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I done a few gigs some years ago and never really came across any muppets suprisingly. There was the odd few that would give out because I didn't play their song or whatever but you really shouldn't be too bothered about it. I always think of the amount of people who came up going home happy with smiles on their faces. Even a few would be waiting outside wondering if I would be back next week. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Ruu wrote:
    I done a few gigs some years ago and never really came across any muppets suprisingly. There was the odd few that would give out because I didn't play their song or whatever but you really shouldn't be too bothered about it. I always think of the amount of people who came up going home happy with smiles on their faces. Even a few would be waiting outside wondering if I would be back next week. :)

Jesus Ruu! are you ever off this site! ha ha!:D

But seriously, yeah that happens too, they normally come up after the last song and wonder why i didnt play their song.

:D Hmm, you mean that tina turner one you asked for while i was in the middle of an R&B set? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i hate to be a ****, but i dont think threads about commerical djing should be in here. It should be moved to gigs/events.

i hate to be a ****, but i dont think threads about commerical djing should be in here. It should be moved to gigs/events.

Should i go back and edit my grammer while im at it and while im doing that i must line up my mouse properly next to my laptop and make sure i have switched on and off the light switch in the room 28 times or my family will die!

Youre right!... dont be a ****

I just dont want to see posts about commercial djing in here. I have no interest in them. At least make it clear i nthe title

clubbers=20 pissed up twats.

That way i wouldnt of had to open the thread and waste my time reading it.

• Advertisement

I just dont want to see posts about commercial djing in here. I have no interest in them. At least make it clear i nthe title

No prob Chucky, Night Night, and do make sure that your slippers are lined up properly next to each other under your bed before you go to sleep! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Access wrote:
    Jesus Ruu! are you ever off this site! ha ha!:D

But seriously, yeah that happens too, they normally come up after the last song and wonder why i didnt play their song.

:D Hmm, you mean that tina turner one you asked for while i was in the middle of an R&B set? :D

Rarely off here. :)

Something like Tina Turner or some such nonsense when I was in the middle of getting something going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Chucky, you're being a prat :p

OP: What you play is never going to be to everyones taste, I would never say something like that to a DJ though, whats the point ? Obviously, the vast majority enjoyed the set, therefor, you did a good job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

As with everything, you'll always only satisfy 90% of the crowd. The amount of times I had knobends waiting on me outside a pub/club because I wouldn't play their song (Maniac2000 or Fields of Athenry??).. people need to get a life. The next weekend would see the same knobends coming up and asking for the same songs :rolleyes:

I used to take everything to heart but one night I just got real pissed off with everyone and started throwing back all sorts of random comments..

'Do I tell you how to build a house'
    'You take over if you think you can do better'
    'If you have a problem with the music then consult the pub management, they playlist everything'

It made me feel a whole lot better :o

Drunk people are tossers at the best of time, but you'll always have 80-90% success.. unless you have a total mare :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Tusky wrote:
    Chucky, you're being a prat :p

:D

Whether it be a commercial gig or an underground gig, its all still DJing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

OP You can't please all of the people all of the time. Personally I only play the kind of music I like to hear. If the crowd like it, that's great. If they don't like it, they think I suck, but that's the best I can do.

Don't let one geezer put you off. If he really thought you were that crap what the hell was he still doing there at the end of the night? Fcuk him anyway, I'd say he was jealous.

Chucky: you're hilarious, you must have great fun DJing to your 3 mates.

??
    your point sturgo?

dance/electronic/djing would imply this is a forum about djing with dance music, which takes a of talent. Not down some local cheese nightclub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

??
    your point sturgo?

dance/electronic/djing would imply this is a forum about djing with dance music, which takes a of talent. Not down some local cheese nightclub.

I agree to a point, why can't we just have a proper clubbing/djing forum. I've nothing against mobile djs etc but it's not my thing and I don't have an interest in it. It's certainly NOTHING to with proper clubbing.

I'm finding myself spending less and less time on this forum lately as there just doesn't seem to be anything but rubbish threads all over the place. Sorry but it's true. Too many best tunes of the 90s and old skool threads around as well. It's ALL BEEN DONE TO DEATH before and it's just tired now. Nothing wrond with the occasional hark back or whatever but not every 2nd or 3rd thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

??

I agree with Chucky here, the forum is for dance/electronic genre's. Although I dont see any real harm in this thread, cause its something dance DJ's can also face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Giles wrote:
    I.

I'm finding myself spending less and less time on this forum lately as there just doesn't seem to be anything but rubbish threads all over the place. Sorry but it's true. Too many best tunes of the 90s and old skool threads around as well. It's ALL BEEN DONE TO DEATH before and it's just tired now. Nothing wrond with the occasional hark back or whatever but not every 2nd or 3rd thread.

Giles,

I try to keep the forum as uncluttered as possible, the creation of the clubbing listings has helped, lots of stuff moved to there, plus I try to merge threads wherever possible and relevant. Ive deleted a few best ever dj threads cause its been done to death and plenty of other rubbish. Lenny has been doing the same. As for the old skool threads, well they are popular, the posters in the threads are the ones keeping them alive.
    An idea might be to start a few threads of your own of stuff you are interested in and see what response they get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Access wrote:

Something like "yeah thanks lad, im doing gigs every weekend and especially went out of my way this weekend to f*ck up your night out by coming in here and do a bit of DJing while my wife and my two kids are tucked up in bed fast asleep at home. I dont need your sh*te, im only here to DJ, have a good time while im doing it and to earn a few quid towards paying my mortgage!"
    Hell no, these are the guys you basically just ignore. You're the one on the stage/pulpit/whatever you wild kids call it and regardless of whether you're really good or not, not everyone is going to like what you do. I'd say that 20 people coming up to you and thanking you for a pretty good night compared to one guy sitting on a perch with a late heckle is a pretty good appreciation ratio.

Engage him? Why bother? Tell him that this is your day job, you're booked up till Christmas and just keep walking. The heckler finishing up his drink with a few mates is the most likely guy in the club to fling a glass after you and a willy-waving discussion about whether you're the world's worst disc-spinner isn't going to change his view on that anyway, it's just going to provide him with a closer stationary target.

Personally for me in my current job, which has nothing to do with entertainment or anything interesting but does consist of a silly amount of people interaction, all I need is one person to tell me every few months that I'm really good at it and they're thankful for what I've done for them and I get it a lot more than that. If I had 20 people coming up to me at the end of my working day to specifically tell me that I was really good at it and that they were sincerely thankful for it I'd have an ego the size of Sweden. I wouldn't worry about the one guy finishing up his big pint of lager with his mates awe-struck at his stunning beer wit thrown at the performing monkey. Neither should you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Blu Eyz

"One Muppet" - Exactly.......he was probably chewing the jaw of himself the whole night & fell around the club....

Wouldnt let "One Muppet" bother you, the fact that 20 said you were savage was cool :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Excuse me Mr Mod, but is this forum not for 'DJing'? One way or another whatever kind of DJ you are you should welcome the thread. Your job is to moderate not to be openly critical of the threads. Just because some DJs use a bag or records and some use a laptop doesnt make them any different. We all do what we love, we all please our punters and we all get paid for it. Why cant each DJ appreciate what the other does? I am a commercial DJ. however I was always. I done the big gigs, played the Pod, Red Box, System, Sides etc in their day. But at the end of the day the commercial clubs are still there. I even do weddings! Nothing wrong with it all. Its honest work and it pays well. You dont help things as a Mod by siding with one genre!

To the oringal poster, should be water off a ducks back at this stage mate. Ignore him, hes pissed and he wont remember it tomorrow. However if this was in the middle of the night, I take their opinion on board, say thanks and turn around. If the punter continues to be 'abusive'. Call security and toss him out. Its very simple, you are there to do a job, talk to customers but if they turn nasty out they go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Good lord, drunk people in a nightclub? :eek: :eek: It aint how it was meant to be.

You know its not entirely impossible to go to your regular nightclub and have a bit of craic. Now, for all I know the DJ OP might have spent the night playing The Killers and I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker. In which case he probably deserved the negativity. When I go out I know I have to allow for everyone to be satisfied, so I can give a little bit of leeway, and spend the time theyre playing Christina Aguilera gettin some drinks in. Bit of cheese=bar queue time, and if the DJ whacks on a bit of Born Slippy, Prodigy Insomna and such, particularly near the end, then Im fairly happy.

What club where you playing anyway man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

sturgo wrote:
    Personally I only play the kind of music I like to hear. If the crowd like it, that's great. If they don't like it, they think I suck, but that's the best I can do.

That's a ridiculous way for any DJ to think.. you're there to entertain as many people as possible, not to listen to your own favourite tunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

That's a ridiculous way for any DJ to think.. you're there to entertain as many people as possible, not to listen to your own favourite tunes.

To put in another way. I don't play music I dont like. So I'm not the kind of DJ that would play a 21st, or a wedding, or do a set in Boomerangs. That's what Tony Fenton is there for & more power to him & his kind. It pays well. I've played The Eagles, Blue, Kylie, & the Whistle Song to the masses, & have learnt a lot in doing so, but I've had enough of commercial DJing.

You're right though I'm there to entertain. But if I'm not having fun neither will the audience.

1 more thing... With respect to their various topics, this forum should be like every other forum on this site. INCLUSIVE, as oppsed to EXCLUSIVE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Dub_Ster

Like you said my friend 20 people thansk you , one gave you a slaging in front of his mate's , probably because of every girl in the club rejected him for the night so , and he needed an ego boost , so dont let it get to you :)...

Thanks for the response lads,

I was away for a few days and only checked up the thread now...

Firstly, Giles/kevirl, I aint no mobile DJ. Lets get that right here first.
    And even if anyone was a mobile DJ on this forum, it shouldnt make any difference cause this is a dance/electronic/djing forum for all, be if they are newbie/mobile/bedroom/pro/commerical etc.

I do agree with you that there is a lot of crap threads, "Who is the best DJ"/"best track of 2006" etc, but i felt like no matter what sort of DJ anyone here is they have all been through this and i personally wanted to get some sort of feedback from everyone here on that experiences they have had with regard to this topic.

Another thing... no DJ here should look down on any other sort of DJ, be it bedroom/mobile etc.

We all gotta start somewhere and we all share the same passion here.

Chucky the tree ??
    your point sturgo?

Chucky, you make me smile man! :D

Maybe this should be moved to Social/Personal Issues LOL!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

*loves Access's remarks* Thumbs up man!

Access wrote:
    Chucky, you make me smile man! :D

Maybe this should be moved to Social/Personal Issues LOL!!!

It actually probaly should since you got so upset over the comments.

You can find the number of samartians in a link there if you need. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

It was an every gig thing when I used to play out. Esp since I played Jungle!! after a while you get used to it, cant please everyone, esp p8ssed up yobs.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

Access wrote:
    Doing a gig last night in Meath, I had about 20 clubbers come up to me in the DJ booth at the end of the night and say things like "Thanks man for playing my song" or "Excellent set tonight" / "Thanks for giving us a good night".

This is great for the average DJ cause it makes us feel like we provided an excellent nights entertainment to our customers/clubbers, and especially when it is said by a drop dead beautiful girl!

As I was leaving the club, there was a guy sitting by the exit with a few mates finishing up their drinks, and he says out load "dont give up the day job!",

I didnt have time to think/react, so I just continued on walking passed them and replyed "Yeah, thanks lad!".

My point is that no matter how many people come up and say great things, its always the one muppet who says something bad that gets to me. :mad:

Ive been doing gigs since i was 17 and im 26 now and you would think ive toughened up by now!

Anyone have any simular problems/experiences and how do you best deal with them?

Cheers.

feck it mate your never going to please everyone no matter what it is you do. I would dwell on the 20 positives and not the one negative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MotherGoose

Access wrote:

Cheers.

I think you were better off to keep walking and pass no comment as the lad was probably waiting for a reaction. The thing i would say is that maybe the music you played is not quite his taste, he probably only went to the club for a late drink and try pull a girl as well. There is always going to be one muppet alrite, but to have 20 or so come and thank you should be enough to walk out of the club with your head held high and not worry about some muppetts view, who prob likes a bit of westlife, N-Sync-Justin timblerlake or it could be the fact that most of who thanked you were girls and he was jealious, whatever you should never let something like ruin a good set you played.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭imalegend

why even respond...its like being asked by some idiot to play something good...and you go no problem any suggestions and they go "no just something good"...this is my biggest pet peve with drunken punters...

or even will you change the music...i answer ok...i then proceed 2 stand there and look at the dance floor and then i get another tap on the arm...thought you said you were going 2 chance the music....what am i suppose 2 do...turn off what im playing just 2 suit you??

people dont understand that heckeling a dj is just not on..my answer is always do i hassle you in your workplace?..thats when they start to get really thick and i slip the headphones on and stand there and smile at them..i find this the best method as they finally get so annoyed and walk away..

plus if you have being djing since your 17 you have had far worse then 1 bad comment thrown at you in your day...just walk on especially at the end of a night when all you want 2 do is get in your car and drive home..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Access dont mind the f***ing drunk c***s.Im a full time Dj and to be honest you always get the idiots.My usual response is "Im lucky you are not the manager then".I have been known to say other things if the punter curses at me etc.Three weeks ago a woman threatened me so i got her thrown out of the club.The lady was pleading her innocence to the bouncers and added she was a solicitor.Drink brings out the prick in people.As for only playing the songs i like at a gig.Well i dont get paid to play the songs i like i do pub/club/corporate/weddings anything its my profession afterall.Not a specialist dj as such hence thats why i work 5 nights a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kevinmac

Proper Clubbers V/s Pissed Up Twats = No difference whatsoever both sets of people are out of control due to abusing one substance or another. The twats become violent and want everything their own way and the "proper clubbers" will often dance to any old ****e so long as it's mixed well. The best of each bunch will have a great night.
    Music: No difference in either camp both are full of quality annd dross in equal measure.
    DJ QUALITY and Skill set requirements: The same - must be able to pick the right tunes at the right time and blend them in he mix in the right way, whether it's beat mixing, creative beat mixing end to end chop mixing or voice overs the reaction from the floor is the only decider.
    So wedding DJ any different to Porper club mixer - yes wedding DJ about 300 euros richer at the end of the night and a career for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

youll always get drunk eejits annoyin ya. this bird didnt like the music i was playin one night and told me to change because she was the payin public and i should play what she wants to hear. i told her to eff off,

Another example of stupidity.....Woman in late 30s comes up after i just started playing a commercial tune and asks for some 80s.....Said woman was dancing last 15 minutes to 80s crap i was playing she then says after i told her that...."Was i a dj with an attitude"? said "yes i am when punters make stupid comments" turned my back then.This was on thur in a club in drogheda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Access have you considered that he probably secretly liked your tunes but couldn't bring himself to acknowledge it because he couldn't bear the fact that he had to go back to his boring factory job on Monday morning and be treated like some kind of drop kick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

well i had my first "real" set last night and it went brilliantly except for one mistake which no1 seemed to care about and one girl(poor girl it was her birthday but she ata dance night so she deservers it) who was begging me to play chart music the closest i had was steve angellos remix of the eurythmics but id already played it and it cleared the room so i wasnt gonna go near it again

at another gig a girl asked me to play crispy bacon which i didnt have so i shook my head to which she replied "you wont talk to me coz im a girl is that it........its coz iv a pussy is it??? you ****ing ****" needless to say i couldnt stop laughing for about 3 more songs

PeakOutput wrote:
    well i had my first "real" set last night and it went brilliantly except for one mistake which no1 seemed to care about and one girl(poor girl it was her birthday but she ata dance night so she deservers it) who was begging me to play chart music the closest i had was steve angellos remix of the eurythmics but id already played it and it cleared the room so i wasnt gonna go near it again

at another gig a girl asked me to play crispy bacon which i didnt have so i shook my head to which she replied "you wont talk to me coz im a girl is that it........its coz iv a pussy is it??? you ****ing ****" needless to say i couldnt stop laughing for about 3 more songs
    So you didnt score this girl at the end of the gig lol.
    Last night in Kilkenny a foreign guy comes up to the me and says "****" to which i think hes gay so i reply no thanks then the dude calls me a bitch and starts cursing at me.Dont think his english was too good and knew he was throwing the insults at me.He was removed from the premises.Weirdo

Advertisement