Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange dream

• 08-08-2006 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

I used to have this dream fairly regularly from the age of about 8 until I was about 17 or so. Only remembered it recently again with this forum.

At first it seems like I am flying in a plane very high over the earth, but quite soon I realise that I'm actually moving parellel to the ground (Superman style, ie just me, no hang-glider, no nothing). Pretty soon, I leave the continent I'm travelling over and reach the ocean. At that moment, I realise I'm actually flying so close to the sea that I can see and hear the grey waves lapping. My speed slowly increases, until with a huge pang of fear, I realise that I am actually driving on a road that is built on the ocean, and after this realisation, I start to hear a high whistling sound that blocks out everything around me.

At that moment I would wake up, completely unnerved and sweating, and I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep that night again.

The funny thing about it is I was stacking some encyclopedias at home a few weeks back, when one of the books fell open at a particular page. It was a picture of a road which was built on the sea in the Florida Keys, akin to the one in my dream, though the road in my dream went over a deep ocean, not a shallow sea (how I know this I'm not sure) Still, even though I hadn't thought of that dream for some time, the picture brought it back to me and disturbed me a little.

These dreams were not that frequent, usually occuring only once every six months or so.

Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 amok

Diarmiud wrote:
    The funny thing about it is I was stacking some encyclopedias at home a few weeks back, when one of the books fell open at a particular page. It was a picture of a road which was built on the sea in the Florida Keys, akin to the one in my dream, though the road in my dream went over a deep ocean, not a shallow sea (how I know this I'm not sure) Still, even though I hadn't thought of that dream for some time, the picture brought it back to me and disturbed me a little.

Would it be possible you saw that picture before? I wonder are you suggesting that you had some sort of a vision? It's probably just a coincidence.

Do you ever find yourself thinking about a particular person and the phone rings and it them? You think to yourself "How weird" but then you realise that it would be much weirder if they never rang when you were thinking about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Diarmiud

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw the picture, that I had seen it as a child and assimilated it.

But still, it's a pretty weird dream to have consistently for 8 or 9 years. And it used to disturb me greatly when young, often not being able to go to sleep for fear of dreaming it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Hi Diarmiud. Not wanting to sound stupid but it seems that the dream was pretty nice until you discovered you were on a road driving. What made you overcome with fear.

the whistling noise that blocks everything around you. All sounds or all sight or both. I just found your dream quiet interesting (not that I know what it means or anything) as when I started to read it it felt quiet peaceful and calm when it was in an unreal sense (as in flying etc) and becomes quiet frightening to you when a more real sense comes into it (driving).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

OK, I'll give it a shot...
    Flying = freedom
    Water = symbolic of something producing fear (if you don't swim)
    Bridge over water = earlier picture of Florida Keys seen as child and incorporated as a bridge over something feared
    Whistling = mum or da or relative whistling to you, and associated with something fearful; or some mechanical thing whistling, like a tea pot or whatever.

Tbh, I am just using my imagination and am not qualified to interpret dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Diarmiud

Thanks for the replies.

Kshiel: that was interesting what you said about the difference between the real and the unreal, and my reaction to both. It did feel sort of peaceful to be flying until I realise I'm travelling conventiionally, and then I freaked out. Might have been my way of handling stress at th time

Blue: Yes, I can't swim (as you know;) ) so it could be an unconcious desire to overcome it (unsuccessfully!)

The whistling sound didn't really come from my surroundings whilst sleeping, I know that. It was a high, loud, mechanical buzz, quite unlike anything I've ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Diarmiud wrote:
    The whistling sound didn't really come from my surroundings whilst sleeping, I know that. It was a high, loud, mechanical buzz, quite unlike anything I've ever heard.

Did it sound like a five bell chime? "Do du dew dooo dooooooo"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

The flying is often interpreted as not having your feet on the ground or not having altogether realistic or achievable aims, the road on the ocean is indicative of still wanting something as a backup, if you are aiming to go on a long journey or change career but are worried about going flat out for it and want a landing pad or a fall back position.

The whistling is the sort of distractions putting you off from making your journey, changing your career, attempting some big change in yer life.

Overall it might be a dream that suggests you want to change your life but are wondering how and what are the risks. If over a period of time you have had this dream, was there any ongoing family trouble, fights between your parents, unsurety about the future?

Advertisement